Jason Morris applying Judo in wrestling matches

RemyR

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This popped up in my YouTube channel and as a halfway decent wrestler and shitty judoka I thought this was really neat to see someone blend judo into wrestling like this

This vid also has him slamming some guys judo style. Some of those look rough lol

A judo Olympic silvers medalist and a wrestler unable to gain a podium under NCAA wrestling.

He was very good at that osoto Gari. There seems to be a larger demand for no-gi Judo these days, but there aren't many people qualified to teach it. I wish he would make an instructional or a youtube video on it.

No my first martial art was judo.

But mw wrestler Mo Lawal vs heavyweight gold medalist Satoshi Ishii is an interesting fight.
So is MW wrestler Frank Trigg vs LW Mach Sakurai.

Thanks for playing.

apples and oranges don’t ya think?

this thread wasn’t made to start some style vs style bs btw

It's pretty much unavoidable, considering the vid title itself is fairly inflammatory.

Steve Mocco. Obviously an Olympic Wrestler who did some Judo growing up is more of a wrestler than a Judoka.... But it's probably not a coincidence that the guy with a judo background and a sister who made the Judo national team was the foot sweep king.

Jason is an All American who placed 5th in 1989 at 167 lbs. He is a stud who balanced both sports simultaneously.

Any judoka here that can explain the mechanics of the first throw he does in the 2nd video? Every wrestling instinct in me says reaching back like that is a bad idea.

Any judoka here that can explain the mechanics of the first throw he does in the 2nd video? Every wrestling instinct in me says reaching back like that is a bad idea.

I've seen him do that in other vids as well. Looks like a no gi version of georgian grip harai makikomi:

But with no belt to grab, Morris is instead grabbing uke's farside lat. He's not going to get as much lift doing it that way (because you can't pull up and over like with a belt grip), but it's obviously still effective.

Last edited:

Same basic mechanics as most turning hip throws, with a lat grip.

Check out Dong Hyung Kim fights for example, he uses it a lot.

A judo Olympic silvers medalist and a wrestler unable to gain a podium under NCAA wrestling.

Would probably struggle in ballet too.

American college wrestling is stupid and inferior to real (freestyle) wrestling

Can you show us on the doll where the NCAA man touched you.

Not stupid but freestyle has all high amplitude throws banned in collegiate.

Back