JDS' style is becoming ever more interesting

ambertch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Man JDS displayed picture perfect boxer-puncher strategy along with some stick and move (the style adapted to MMA purposes I suppose).

- do a lot of feints to gauge the opponent's reaction
- mix it up with jabs to the head and body to keep the opponent guessing whether you are attacking high or low
- probe with the jab and then explode in when you think have the opponent's timing down
- be patient, conduct 'experiments' to read the opponent while keeping him at bay
- exploit angles by attacking and then pivoting out in order to stay in range and give you the option of a followup attack.

I mean in terms of "philosophy" - this is as pure boxing as you can get. If you get what I'm saying, you can understand why some fans love Floyd Mayweather so much. This stuff is what the science part of the "sweet science" is all about.

Good summary. I agree.

It was a treat to watch.

it's just awesome to watch:)

there's not much you can do about a HW that moves like JDS

it's just awesome to watch:)

there's not much you can do about a HW that moves like JDS

well, he needs to move out of the way of leg kicks. if someone as slow as mir can hit JDS with multiple solid leg kicks then there's a problem.

I really think that Hunt would have been a much more interesting match up now. That guy kicks legs HARD.

i didn't see many angles at all from JDS. I'll have to rewatch. His best asset is his fast hands.

Man JDS displayed picture perfect boxer-puncher strategy along with some stick and move (the style adapted to MMA purposes I suppose).

- do a lot of feints to gauge the opponent's reaction
- mix it up with jabs to the head and body to keep the opponent guessing whether you are attacking high or low
- probe with the jab and then explode in when you think have the opponent's timing down
- be patient, conduct 'experiments' to read the opponent while keeping him at bay
- exploit angles by attacking and then pivoting out in order to stay in range and give you the option of a followup attack.

I mean in terms of "philosophy" - this is as pure boxing as you can get. If you get what I'm saying, you can understand why some fans love Floyd Mayweather so much. This stuff is what the science part of the "sweet science" is all about.

i will have to admit it is nice to see someone trying to apply the concept of boxing and not just the techniques or to be more exact the punching; alot of guys train boxing in mma, but most just focus on punching and the other elements get downplayed or outright ignored under the "you can't use boxing" in mma.

Fast hands, power, good movement, high skill and accuracy. Plus excellent takedown defence = trouble for his opponents.

Yes he's a great fighter and has very good timing and accuracy.

I think I would give my left nut to see JDS vs. Reem at this point.

I wrote a little piece on Dos Santos' right body straight while over at Head Kick Legend. It was supposed to be part of a series but then I moved to Bloody Elbow and the UFC are in a spat with them over the use of gifs.

UFC 146: Fight Like Dos Santos ~ Fights Gone By: Classic Fights and Finishes

Watching Dos Santos against Mir was an absolute pleasure. I can only hope we see more boxing like that in MMA.

Watching Dos Santos against Mir was an absolute pleasure. I can only hope we see more boxing like that in MMA.

I agree, but with all due respect to Frank, as an opponent in terms of pure stand up he's not very good, so JDS is going to be able to shine. It would have been nice to see him go up against someone like Overeem and display those skills.

I agree, but with all due respect to Frank, as an opponent in terms of pure stand up he's not very good, so JDS is going to be able to shine. It would have been nice to see him go up against someone like Overeem and display those skills.

Frank's kickboxing is nothing to laugh at these days. He beat nog on the feet and nog had a rep as one of the best boxers in the hw division at the time. He is still primarily a grappler but he has decent striking. However, anyone who fights jds needs to have a solid chin. Frank's isn't bad but it wasn't good enough. Mark hunt would be a fun guy to watch with jds.

Frank's kickboxing is nothing to laugh at these days. He beat nog on the feet and nog had a rep as one of the best boxers in the hw division at the time. He is still primarily a grappler but he has decent striking. However, anyone who fights jds needs to have a solid chin. Frank's isn't bad but it wasn't good enough. Mark hunt would be a fun guy to watch with jds.

Agree that Mir is pretty good as heavyweights go, but Nog is given far too much props for his striking. He had a single stand out performance against Sergei Kharitanov by throwing a jab every time Sergei stepped in.

Then 5 years later he did the same to Brendan Schaub, and rather than them be noted as strategically weak strikers, he was claimed to have great boxing.

Nog does have a really nice jab, but he's one of the weakest hitters in the heavyweight division and his foot movement is so painfully slow that he makes guys like Mir look fast.

Totally agree on the Mark Hunt thing, he would absolutely have proved a much more credible threat than Mir.

Agree that Mir is pretty good as heavyweights go, but Nog is given far too much props for his striking. He had a single stand out performance against Sergei Kharitanov by throwing a jab every time Sergei stepped in.

Then 5 years later he did the same to Brendan Schaub, and rather than them be noted as strategically weak strikers, he was claimed to have great boxing.

Nog does have a really nice jab, but he's one of the weakest hitters in the heavyweight division and his foot movement is so painfully slow that he makes guys like Mir look fast.

Totally agree on the Mark Hunt thing, he would absolutely have proved a much more credible threat than Mir.
it seems that at least recently, (maybe through putting on more muscle mass or sitting down on his punches more?) with KOind Schaub and dropping Mir that his punching power has improved

Nog absolutely worked Mir in the stand up department in their last fight.

It's always a pleasure to watch fighters who have an offensive strategy and stick to it.

Strategy in the striking department has always lagged behind grappling. And defensive strategy has always seemed a little ahead of offense in MMA. Too often offensive strategy seems to be "win the war of attrition" and "land the big shot before the other guy."

I'm glad we're seeing more, and better, offensive strategies from fighters, not to mention more guys with the discipline and talent to execute.

Back