• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jeet Kune Do

You, like a lot of people, have radically misinterpreted JKD. JKD is about using what WORKS, and casting aside everything else. So if you're punching in an ineffective manner YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Playing Devil's advocate for a second here; isn't that mindset bound to result in the creation of what is ad hoc a style? I mean, Bruce looks at various techniques, chucks out the ones he thinks suck and hones the ones he thinks are most effective... You've got a style. (Or, at least, a toolset of what Bruce considers the most effective techniques - effectively a style.)

Bruce decides fencing footwork is "what WORKS", you start doing MT footwork, Bruce says "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG." You throw a teep, Bruce rules the side kick to be the more efficient kick, "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG." And so on.

Like it or not, you do seem to end up with something that looks very much like a style, with its own particular principles (power side forward etc.), and all the fortune cookie "style without style" zen philosophy just peels away.

Or...?

I look at it like this you do it in the most effective way that you can so there is a right and wrong with right taking what works and wrong disregarding the wrong???

Then there is more than one way to skin a cat but make sure that your tools and method can skin that cat.....?????

Playing Devil's advocate for a second here; isn't that mindset bound to result in the creation of what is ad hoc a style? I mean, Bruce looks at various techniques, chucks out the ones he thinks suck and hones the ones he thinks are most effective... You've got a style. (Or, at least, a toolset of what Bruce considers the most effective techniques - effectively a style.)

Bruce decides fencing footwork is "what WORKS", you start doing MT footwork, Bruce says "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG." You throw a teep, Bruce rules the side kick to be the more efficient kick, "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG." And so on.

Like it or not, you do seem to end up with something that looks very much like a style, with its own particular principles (power side forward etc.), and all the fortune cookie "style without style" zen philosophy just peels away.

Or...?
^End of thread.

Or...?

JKD is about using what works for you as a person. You will end up developing a personal style, which is okay in JKD. JKD is against the style mindset that such and such a style is teh ultim4t3, that boxes you in and keeps your from discovering the source of your own ignorance. So according to JKD, even what BL did do ,in terms of his personal style, doesn't mean anything in your own journey of self discovery.
// END THREAD

JKD is about using what works for you as a person. You will end up developing a personal style, which is okay in JKD. JKD is against the style mindset that such and such a style is teh ultim4t3, that boxes you in and keeps your from discovering the source of your own ignorance. So according to JKD, even what BL did do ,in terms of his personal style, doesn't mean anything in your own journey of self discovery.
// END THREAD

Developing your own style is key in JKD. The biggest problem in today's JKD is second generation instructors trying to make money off people and teach you that their way is the only way. Or even lying and saying that their way is the way that Bruce taught it.
It's hard to decipher true JKD from the bullshit dojo's.

Bruce's son brandon before he died was very into Muay Thai. When asked why he did things different from his dad he said it was his interpretation of JKD. So yea I think Bruce would be ok with different opinions. One of the things I love the most is that in Tao of Jeet Kune Do Bruce says you should ask questions, how that works, why that works, etc. That way of thinking helped my own development tremendously.

i am still waiting for the source that JKD kicks came from Muay Thai

does dan inosanto count as a source? I can post the vid were he says it if you do. if not then im just going to ignore you.
EDIT: you seem to have misunderstood me. I never said all the kicks come from muay thai, only the rear round kick does.

Developing your own style is key in JKD. The biggest problem in today's JKD is second generation instructors trying to make money off people and teach you that their way is the only way. Or even lying and saying that their way is the way that Bruce taught it.
It's hard to decipher true JKD from the bullshit dojo's.

The sad thing is alot of the OJKDer's come from Dan Inosanto's lineage. They never got the point I guess. Even Ted Wong was certified by Dan. He has never showed proof to disprove this statement either, even though he has been called out about it before.

That said, if you align yourself with one of Paul Vunak's, Erik Paulson's or Ron Balicki's instructors, your good to go. And

JKD has helped me a ton as a fighter, also. I'm 5'10" Grappling/boxing/ low kicks is my thing ala Larry Hartell. So while I will take tactics from lets say savate, I wont necessarily as kick high as a savatuer.

Last edited:
Bruce's son brandon before he died was very into Muay Thai. When asked why he did things different from his dad he said it was his interpretation of JKD. So yea I think Bruce would be ok with different opinions. One of the things I love the most is that in Tao of Jeet Kune Do Bruce says you should ask questions, how that works, why that works, etc. That way of thinking helped my own development tremendously.

Yes so you can make educated decision on what works for you in a given situation to then refine your personal style.

Or...?

And thus you have the creation of Jun Fan, which what Bruce himself did. What he taught was JKD and different from what he personally did.

Bruce shouldn't have put -do at the end. That makes it "the way of-", making it a style or a way of getting something done. (the following sentence is a joke) I think the death of Bruce Lee was a conspiracy by time travelling boxing fans from an alternate 1986 to destroy MMA in its infancy because in their world MMA started sooner because of Bruce Lee, so they killed him, effectively postponing MMA to 1993 (the sentence that you just read is a joke). Lol

Or...?

JKD was a reaction against static martial arts that rejected all other martial arts. So, gathering a lot of techniques that are effective is very much the spirit of JKD. So, you would never say "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG" if someone uses MT footwork. The example in question where Bruce corrected the guy's technique was because the guy was using terrible form, not because it was coming from something "outside" of JKD.

JKD was a reaction against static martial arts that rejected all other martial arts. So, gathering a lot of techniques that are effective is very much the spirit of JKD. So, you would never say "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG" if someone uses MT footwork. The example in question where Bruce corrected the guy's technique was because the guy was using terrible form, not because it was coming from something "outside" of JKD.

Your stretching a lot here. Clearly Bruce was not satisfied with the gentleman's punch, and corrected to look more like the punch in his system.

Or...?

Thank you! Bruce can say "I have not created a style" a million times until he is blue in the face... but what do his actions say?

does dan inosanto count as a source? I can post the vid were he says it if you do. if not then im just going to ignore you.
EDIT: you seem to have misunderstood me. I never said all the kicks come from muay thai, only the rear round kick does.

If you honestly are saying you see muay thai in Bruces style, then I just going to ignore you. :icon_neut

I've read up a good deal on JKD, and although you guys are right in saying that it isn't a static form, there are several core concepts which Lee emphasized, such as protecting & exploiting the 'centerline', the ranges of combat, ways of attacking, economy of motion, and the famous "be like water" philosophy.

More than anything, JKD is a way to train, a school of thought on combat, and mainly strategy. I tend to think that alot of the concepts it outlines are just restatements of the obvious, but I do think it's the predecessor of MMA (at least in and of the fact that it emphasizes focusing on your own strengths, being as effective and economical as possible, and of course- the notion of cross training/ well roundedness)

Your stretching a lot here. Clearly Bruce was not satisfied with the gentleman's punch, and corrected to look more like the punch in his system.

I'm not stretching anything, stop inserting your personal definitions about JKD and try to understand it in the context it was created in.

If you honestly are saying you see muay thai in Bruces style, then I just going to ignore you. :icon_neut

He rarely used a round kick, though Dan Inosanto said that his rear round kick was from Muay Thai.

Just btw, who do you learn JKD from?

I'm not stretching anything, stop inserting your personal definitions about JKD and try to understand it in the context it was created in.

@TD ^ This. You obviously don't get it do you?

Zisteau, I think he is just a troll, he tried arguing in another thread that the spinning back kick in Sanda came from Tae Kwon Do, and that they have been doing it for "thousands" of years, even though TKD is less than 100.....

Back