Jeff Glover vs Kristian Woodmansee (Toy Benefit Drive Superfight)

Fun match. Very cool guillotine to triangle finish.

Oh jeese that was embarrassing. If you want someone to become a fan of BJJ please don't let them anywhere near watching this.

I don't understand why he rolls like that. Sure you can say "oh it works" but I'm pretty sure that's just because he's way better than most guys he grapples with, not because of that particular style.

I don't understand why he rolls like that. Sure you can say "oh it works" but I'm pretty sure that's just because he's way better than most guys he grapples with, not because of that particular style.

Who knows man. Glover used to roll more like his friend Bill Cooper and Garry Tonon's style reminds me of him. Not very big on caring about anything but submissions, and very aggressive with great defense and escapes. About 4 years ago he started doing a more mellow and reactive game with more antics. I've heard things ranging from he's beat up physically and it's a way to preserve the body all the way to it keeps it fun for him and he likes the attention. I've trained with him and he loves bjj and is as talented as anyone out there but I wish he would roll more like he used to. You can see hints of it sometimes. He had a superfight in September in Guatemala that was all business and he rolled like he used to.

Oh jeese that was embarrassing. If you want someone to become a fan of BJJ please don't let them anywhere near watching this.

This.I found this silly.There is a trend of competitors doing this silly IDGAF style and the grappling being more focused on the SHOW than abilities and skill.It "works" when the grapplers aren't top level or if very mismatched. You really don't see top competitors grappling like this much.

This.I found this silly.There is a trend of competitors doing this silly IDGAF style and the grappling being more focused on the SHOW than abilities and skill.It "works" when the grapplers aren't top level or if very mismatched. You really don't see top competitors grappling like this much.

Don't be such a wet blanket, its for the kids

if he were Andreson Silva sherdog would be up in arms over his showboating and disrespectful behavior.

There is WWE for kids.

And Glover has been pretty clear that it was his love of pro wrestling that got him into bjj much more than any love for martial arts. His old dvds even have him and Bill Cooper doing pro wrestling holds on each other.

It was a charity exhibition match that doesn't mean anything. I liked it. I think what really annoys people about this is that they know how he used to grapple and they wish he would make it look more serious. Which I get because when he's going hard he's a killer.

I think it's a way to get his opponents to engage him in scrambles, where they would stall and flee otherwise. That being said, he definitely seems to have a 'serious competitor' mode and a 'keepin it playful' mode, but he looked to be taking it fairly seriously here.

And Glover has been pretty clear that it was his love of pro wrestling that got him into bjj much more than any love for martial arts. His old dvds even have him and Bill Cooper doing pro wrestling holds on each other.

It was a charity exhibition match that doesn't mean anything. I liked it. I think what really annoys people about this is that they know how he used to grapple and they wish he would make it look more serious. Which I get because when he's going hard he's a killer.

This.

People would claim he was a dick if he went out and murked this dude in 30 seconds.

This.

People would claim he was a dick if he went out and murked this dude in 30 seconds.

Entirely. And his opponent is very good but that would've been a likely outcome.

Can't win. In this day and age any sort of costume and playfulness in a martial arts competition is going to be received with mixed signals.

Just for shits and giggles I wonder how he's perceived to the white and blue belts of today's generation that may have not seen him in his prime almost a decade ago.

I was taking notes the entire time, I really enjoyed the Guilly to Triangle Finish.

I guess I need to work on my mount defense from headstand.

BJJ means different things to different people. And every artform has critics and purists.

Me personally, I love BJJ in all forms. I hate rolling in the gi but I love watching my favorite guys roll in the gi and no gi. I love watching aggressive sub only guys even though my personal style is more conservative.

I like the fun silly risky styles of guys like Glover and Cooper and I like the no frills styles of Marcelo and Roger.

And again, this was an exhibition.

BJJ means different things to different people. And every artform has critics and purists.

Me personally, I love BJJ in all forms. I hate rolling in the gi but I love watching my favorite guys roll in the gi and no gi. I love watching aggressive sub only guys even though my personal style is more conservative.

I like the fun silly risky styles of guys like Glover and Cooper and I like the no frills styles of Marcelo and Roger.

And again, this was an exhibition.

Cooper was my favorite grappler to watch. All the hyper aggressiveness of Marcelo with that fun risk but nothing over the top. I thought he was going to win the 08 mundials easily to be the 3rd American world champ until that classic finals match. He was on fire that day and looked unbeatable. 4 subs on the way to the finals including Otavio Sousa. Sergio Moraes rained on that parade. :icon_sad:

Back