Jiri-Poatan, both fighters almost a full pound under the limit

kingghidrah

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Jiri - 204.2, Poatan 204.0

Has this happened before, where both fighters are well under the limit, both by almost a pound?

Lots of times we see 206 vs. 206 for non-title fights, and it makes sense that for a title fight you want to be sure you hit the 205 or below, but how often has it happened where both fighters are so far under?

Not counting Heavyweight, of course lol

Yes.

there’s been plenty of title fights were the fighters weigh in 1 pound below the limit. Happens all the time and it’s normal because they have to be at 205 at max, they can’t be 205.2 or 205.4 so they usually aim to be slightly below that.

I guess if you don’t count heavyweight haha

yeah the weight difference is less dramatic in the higher classes

Yes.

there’s been plenty of title fights were the fighters weigh in 1 pound below the limit. Happens all the time and it’s normal because they have to be at 205 at max, they can’t be 205.2 or 205.4 so they usually aim to be slightly below that.

you can if your GSP and Nick Diaz

Jiri isn’t cutting much, like 10 pounds if I remember him saying he’s only 215 correctly. Alex is almost 230 I think, also his words, but he never struggled to make weight, he’s a consummate professional!

This is actuslly fantastic
Two true divisional representatives.

Normally the UFC and commentator narrative around "his natural weight class" is BS and still involves insane weight cuts. We are seeing two gents truly playing in their space. I have no issue with a heavy diet and a mild dehydration cut to suit the individual, but these 5-10++% weight cuts are literally the worst part of the sport

Just hope they both perform well tomorrow

In Alex's case he was probably just scared of the giant weight cut and to fight for gold rofl

It's definitely an easier cut than 185 though...

Jiri - 204.2, Poatan 204.0
Not counting Heavyweight, of course lol
After weeks of Poatan hate threads about how big ("Tell me Poatan is a weight bully, without telling me he's a weight bully") he was, he shuts everyone up.

Glorious

love them both. Jiri's comeback is the best thing that could happen to MMA. Hope the fight is as good as it should.

In Alex's case he was probably just scared of the giant weight cut and to fight for gold rofl

It's definitely an easier cut than 185 though...
So scared he cut an extra pound?

<EdgyBrah>

That’s some ass backwards logic, buddeh!

This is actuslly fantastic
Two true divisional representatives.

Normally the UFC and commentator narrative around "his natural weight class" is BS and still involves insane weight cuts. We are seeing two gents truly playing in their space. I have no issue with a heavy diet and a mild dehydration cut to suit the individual, but these 5-10++% weight cuts are literally the worst part of the sport
Alex cut more weight than a prime jones.

So scared he cut an extra pound?

<EdgyBrah>

That’s some ass backwards logic, buddeh!
What I mean is he overcompensated with his weight cut to not come in off. Not cut more weight because he was scared of Jiri

You dingus

Back