Jiu Jitsu Bàsico Lesson 3: The Technical Stand up

MadSiss Productions

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Jiu Jitsu Básico with Professor Ricardo Tubbs is a series designed for the jiu jitsu beginner. Follow Ricardo as he teaches you the basics of jiu jitsu and the foundation for every jiu jitsu player.

In lesson three: The Technical Stand Up Professor Ricardo shows you how to stand up from the ground for self defense, one of the most important but overlooked aspects of self defense. Join us at Da Firma Training Center www.dafirmatc.com for more high level instruction

Jiu Jitsu Básico with Professor Ricardo Tubbs is a series designed for the jiu jitsu beginner. Follow Ricardo as he teaches you the basics of jiu jitsu and the foundation for every jiu jitsu player.

In lesson three: The Technical Stand Up Professor Ricardo shows you how to stand up from the ground for self defense, one of the most important but overlooked aspects of self defense. Join us at Da Firma Training Center www.dafirmatc.com for more high level instruction

Excellent video and its unfortunate that it isnt receiving more attention on this board.

In my opinion technical stand ups are the second thing you should learn as a white belt after learning how to properly fall.

As a white belt you are arguably the worst person in the gym and cant even properly shrimp let alone use your grappling to ward off an attacker on the street. I believe the first thing that should be taught to a white belt is how to get back to their feet and escape a potentiality dangerous situation with an attacker.

Then again I think alot of schools are more sport oriented now rather then self defense oriented which at times can be two completely different things. So I could see why a grappling coach might chose to start their students off with other things.

Great post!

Nice video. I have my students drill this several times a week usually. This technique is also really effecive for escaping guard, half guard and side control.

Excellent video and its unfortunate that it isnt receiving more attention on this board.

In my opinion technical stand ups are the second thing you should learn as a white belt after learning how to properly fall.

As a white belt you are arguably the worst person in the gym and cant even properly shrimp let alone use your grappling to ward off an attacker on the street. I believe the first thing that should be taught to a white belt is how to get back to their feet and escape a potentiality dangerous situation with an attacker.

Then again I think alot of schools are more sport oriented now rather then self defense oriented which at times can be two completely different things. So I could see why a grappling coach might chose to start their students off with other things.

Great post!

Thank you although, Professor Ricardo deserves the credit. I'm just producing his videos. There are more to come.

I really liked this video, please post anymore you have or as they come out!

Nice video. I have my students drill this several times a week usually. This technique is also really effecive for escaping guard, half guard and side control.

I show it a lot as a way to finish sweeps.

It's pretty rare at higher levels to get a clean sweep where you end up completely on top of the guy. More likely the guy fights against it, and you both end up on your butts in a scramble type of position.

I teach this as the method for winning the scramble there. The one who does stand up in base first will get on top. So if you can control your opponent (prevent his posts from going down or his bottom leg from moving), you can win the scramble by moving first.

If your opponent is doing this back to you, you can usually win the scramble by switching to the other hip. This reverses the movement so if your opponent was controlling your bottom leg preventing you from coming up, switching hips turns that leg into the top leg (post leg). Then you can still come up even if he is holding it.

I find drilling this movement and how to apply it from the sweep scramble position puts your sweep finish rate through the roof.

Back