Jiu Jitsu Friendly Jobs?

Honestly TS, the only jobs that will allow you that much flexibility would be 1.) freelance 2.) own business. In most jobs you are at the mercy of your superior.

It's also about priorities as well. If your priority is making a comfortable living, you will have to sacrifice some bjj time. You don't need to drop it completely (NEVER!), just some of it. I was training almost everyday when i was in college... nowadays i train 3x a week on a good week. I work a lot of overtime.

Keep in mind that many people have different ideas about what a comfortable living is. So choose your priorities and work towards it! Good luck bro!

I do construction on the weekends. I put 30 hours in. Sucks, but some days are better than others.

Mixed over 7,000 pounds of concrete up with a wheelbarrow and shovel yesterday. That was awful.

oh well, no complaining. I did listen to RJ Green afterall, shoulda known better ;D

the only time 'shoveling' and 'fun' belong in the same sentence is when you're being sarcastic.
====

TS, some ideas:

Bartend

Pros: Short Hours, Evening Hours, Sluts, Free Booze, Alcohol Tolerance, Lifelong mixology skills, Cash Income, Cash Income, Cash Income

Cons: Evening Hours, Sluts, free booze making you fat, bad music, scuzzy crowd

Construction

Pros: exercise, making things with your hands, power tools, the occasional babe, outdoor work, lifelong skills

Cons: exercise, long hours, noise, old fat entitled men bitching about how they hate their job/wife/life/you, generally unpleasant clients and/or superiors,

Soulless Factory Jobs

Pros: income...sort of, no shortage of openings (high, high turnover. like wow.)

Cons: everyone hates themselves/others - you will too, 2nd/3rd shifts, noise, fluorescent lights, mundane/repetitive days. i can't really recommend this unless you NEED a job. it's mostly drug addicts and retirees. you're just the means to and end, and you're treated as such. work faster, monkey.

=====

I've done all sorts of shit. I'm a semester and about $5000 shy of a biology degree i started in 2003. I spent three summers lifeguarding, a year and a half farming, a year or two bartending, I've worked at gas stations, worked as a brand rep in big box stores, a bit of time in a factory, and I only started doing construction about a year and a half ago.

all i know is that i enjoy what i'm doing now

I do computer stuff.

I had a really high-paying, stressful corporate management job until 2009. It was sucking the life out of me. At one point, it got so bad that I had an anxiety attack.

So I took a 60% pay cut and went to work as a software developer for a great little company that allowed me to work whenever I wanted, wherever I wanted, as long as I got my job done. This let me travel to compete and train as much as I liked. For me, this is a bigger consideration than anything else. I had the opportunity to do what made me happy.

It's 2013 and I'm still working for the same little company, and I wouldn't go back for anything.

Don't let this non paying sport run your life. Get a job and train on the side and not the other way around. Jiu jitsu won't be paying the bills when you're 63 and your kids won't talk to you. Just saying. Start planning early.

I work construction. I usually work between 8-10 hours a day So i can always get to an evening class. Even when i have to travel for my job i pack a gi and some shorts and im good. Butnwhats really nice is that i usually have the winters off so i can train 2 or more times a day

Teacher- I love what I do and I have time to train, travel, and work out.

I'm a high school teacher, and I must say it lends itself very well to my training. I get home from work at 430 pm on my latest days. I can rest a bit and do stuff around the house before I go train. I usually have the energy for 4-5 training sessions per week.
Then there's the 2 months per year that I don't work at all. Then I kick my training up several notches, which is great.

You're never going to be rich being a teacher, but I've always been able to pay my bills. :)
The only downside to the schedule from a bjj perspective is that I need to get up very early in the morning which leaves me very tired in the evenings. But usually I can man up and hit the mats.
Hope this helps!

The United States Federal Government -- train whenever you want, and get your red belt on Sherdog too.

or a cop out for not making it in life.
Never knew having an honest job like a teacher or a fireman wasn't "making it in life."
My point was teaching kids all day going or into burning housing isn't for everyone and the people deserve someone who wants to do the job. Not just someone who wants time off to train.

Never knew having an honest job like a teacher or a fireman wasn't "making it in life."
My point was teaching kids all day going or into burning housing isn't for everyone and the people deserve someone who wants to do the job. Not just someone who wants time off to train.

I would not want to be a teacher in america right now. No respect, crappy pay, and the push is to make you work more and make less than what you are now...with larger class sizes and even more tests. With an average national salary at retirement of 46k in the US to boot. My wife was a teacher but quit for all of these reasons even though she loved it. Problem with this is that you get what you pay for..meaning our ed system is going to just get worse. I would not recommend anyone go into teaching unless they really really love it because more than likely you will be working 1-2 other part time jobs unless you are lucky enough to work for one of the very few rich school districts that will actually pay you a normal salary.

I would not want to be a teacher in america right now. No respect, crappy pay, and the push is to make you work more and make less than what you are now...with larger class sizes and even more tests. With an average national salary at retirement of 46k in the US to boot. My wife was a teacher but quit for all of these reasons even though she loved it. Problem with this is that you get what you pay for..meaning our ed system is going to just get worse. I would not recommend anyone go into teaching unless they really really love it because more than likely you will be working 1-2 other part time jobs unless you are lucky enough to work for one of the very few rich school districts that will actually pay you a normal salary.

I hear ya. I teach art. A lot less stress. I'm in a good district that pays more than most. Doesn't hurt that my wife makes almost twice what I do in the private sector. :) It's not for everyone. Just like sitting at a desk all day isn't for everyone.

I retract. Too political.

Last edited:
Get the best job you can and let BJJ fall wherever it will. I highly advise against doing the opposite unless you're highly talented and can make a living from BJJ or don't need money.

I'm a teacher too. Although i teach in Singapore, i'm from the US though. It does provide lots of training time, and i enjoy doing it and training. I usually train between 3 and 5 times per week.

A teacher who trains is like a Super Hero to kids in an elementary school. Your wife quit like many others did, but there is a way to escape the politics just like there is a way to escape side control.

The United States Federal Government -- train whenever you want, and get your red belt on Sherdog too.

Spot on. 9-5, health benefits for injuries, steady leave earnings, and the pay isn't too shabby.

I wasn't going to get all specific on ya, TS, but Balto went ahead and did it. Yes, the Federal Gov't could be a strong candidate for you. I'm only a Sherdog green belt, but I've only been governing for a few years. Really looking to amp up my posting in 2013.

Nursing. You (usually) get four days off a week, get paid well, and get a lot of PTO. After a couple years you can do travel nursing and hop around the country (to pretty much any city, even in southern Cali or Hawaii), letting you train at a variety of academies, while your employer pays for your relocation costs and provides you with a free apartment. And if you work in psych nursing you might actually be able to test your training as you get assaulted by a 350 lb man named "Jesus".

Get a job as a bjj black belt instructor, open up a gym. I dunno, that sounds jiu jitsu friendly to me.

I work with my hands, use a lot of air tools which has given me crazy grip strength.

Back