Jiu Jitsu is bad for your body.

Since I got the ping about being quoted in the necro, here are some more thoughts. I don't remember what I wrote earlier in this thread so maybe I'm repeating myself...

Over the last few years I have gone pretty deep into the recovery/pre-hab and mobility work. I've got two certifications from Functional Anatomy Systems (FRS), which is the best joint health system I've found in terms of scientific backing and logical structure. Ask any questions you may have about it and I'll be happy to answer.

The "trouble" with FRS is that it never says "just do these stretches" like people tend to want. It's driven by concepts and principles which determine protocols and techniques so each person gets a plan that's customized to their body and unique circumstances.

That's why I like a lot of other mobility systems which are "pre-packaged" into routines, like some styles of yoga or Gold Medal Bodies AKA GMB. FRS has Kinstretch, which is kinda like its version of "yoga" classes (e.g. 30-60 min mobility training sessions).

I've written a lot of articles about mobility for BJJ, but to summarize my advice:
  • BJJ is not good for your joints in the long run. But most things are not good for your joints, whether that's other sports or just sitting around.
  • You should do a DAILY joint mobility training that has the goal of improving your joint tissue health and also your strength, control, and flexibility. In FRS, this is the daily CARs routine (Look up "frc cars" on YouTube.)
  • You should figure out what issues your joints have: pain (and what causes it), lack of passive range of motion (flexibility), lack of active range of motion (mobility), etc. and develop a program/routine to address these.
  • For certain types of pain, you should see a doctor, physical therapist or otherwise qualified medical professional. You may not be able to stretch and foam roll your way to a resolution. Don't commit to surgery without getting some second or third opinions.
  • Since I'm shilling for FRS, you should try to see a FRS-trained professional and get a full-body assessment and personalized program (I have a guy I go to for this and always recommend others do, too.)
  • It doesn't matter how "good" a mobility system is in theory if you don't do it, so even if it's less personalized, I'd recommend something like Yoga for BJJ, GMB, various Kinstretch membership sites by FRS People if ease of access means you'll actually follow those plans. Even a YouTube video like DeFranco's "Limber 11" would help a lot of people who are otherwise doing nothing.
  • Some people just swear by a strength training program of big lifts like squats and deadlifts like Starting Strength. I think that works for some people. Being stronger is generally better, if you achieve it without worsening your risk of injury. I would still recommend adding more mobility into that (though my definition of "mobility" is more than just some light stretching and rolling on a lacrosse ball).
  • BJJ tends to cause some common joint issues that I could talk more about if there's interest, but the best bet is to get a personal assessment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back