Jiu Jitsu = riding a bike?

I sometimes forget that I have been doing this for the better part of two decades. Some of my teammates are training twice a day. They are forsaking all others for jiu Jitsu glory. I admire these guys and sometimes I feel that I should be keeping up with them.
I have jiu Jitsu guilt. I feel that I could train more. It’s a psychological factor of the game that seems present at this stage of my career.
However, the bike analogy is comforting. I do think there is merit to this idea.

i spent almost all last year climbing. no Judo, no BJJ. i'd been doing 3-4x a week BJJ up until then.

first few Judo practices back I wanted to die. no cardio.

then I tore my abs at the end of January. kept aggravating the injury trying to do *some* training every week until about April.

I finally got back to going HARD this summer, and even then, it's still taken me a while to get back into the groove. i probably do like 10ish hours per week. it's been okay provided i do something to recover on the days off, but next semester I won't have any days off and will need to vary my intensity accordingly.

still, like you said, there's a lot that you can do to facilitate the process. i'll do 15-30 minutes of yoga/calisthenics every morning, and put ~5 miles on the bike every day. i feel like i'm finally getting back to a good point with training, where i can push it and still improve. i also really cleaned up my diet, stopped drinking (all the time), and prioritized sleep.

i think you'll be okay with a hiatus. you're active enough, even without BJJ. if you need to take time off to get that knee better, there's no reason not to. yeah, you're not getting any older, but you're a helluva lot younger than almost anybody else your age, you know?

That's a no for me. Been on hiatus for 2 years. Dropped in on a gym and got demolished by everyone. I've been training since 08 so it's not like I have limited arsenal.

Do you know of people who have trained jiu Jitsu for a long time; take extended periods off, come back and still wreck people?
I used to make the bike comparison by saying, “it’s like riding a bike for 50 mile...

It is like having sex with a cousin....it was cool when you were kids but now, as an adult, you have to be in a town where no one knows you.

Stop giving a fuck and start being happier.

It really is that simple

I might be that guy, I'm a slow learner though.
However, once I internalize something it becomes part of my fabric and yes I wouldn't worry about losing a ton taking months or years off. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't get crushed by my team mates when I get back. They're a moving target, they're all getting better (mostly at a faster rate than my progress) and I'd be out of physical shape, which is a pretty big impediment for anyone.

Keeping all factors in perspective, and not worrying about the outcome helps a lot overall.

martial arts in general is a perishable skill. the knowledge and technique is there, the reaction time and sharpness fades over time. i've been away from jiujitsu for at least 5 years now, training and competing mainly stand-up. but when i watch videos, i can still follow and understand what's going on.

I sometimes forget that I have been doing this for the better part of two decades. Some of my teammates are training twice a day. They are forsaking all others for jiu Jitsu glory. I admire these guys and sometimes I feel that I should be keeping up with them.
I have jiu Jitsu guilt. I feel that I could train more. It’s a psychological factor of the game that seems present at this stage of my career.
However, the bike analogy is comforting. I do think there is merit to this idea.

Thats the issue I believe. I have been doing this many years as well. Slow progress....consistent. Years of wrestling, then judo and now half way through brown. I rolled last week with a 22 year old brown who is literally half my age. He outweighs me by 30-40 lbs and trains twice a day. BJJ guilt set in when he destroyed me the nicest way possible.

I should double my mat time! I should be working cardio more! I need to do a day of drilling only! I need to............stop riding my bike, stop playing soccer dads vs kids every Wednesday, I need to stop doing the house renovations I enjoy.........

BULLSHIT!!! BJJ is fun, its a hobby. Sometimes it is hard to keep it in perspective with the rest of life.

Back