jiujitsu debait

I know none of this is really relevant to the point of the quote. I agree with the point of the quote 100%. I was just looking for an excuse to talk about shields.

Well done.

You will get good better at survival even if you do low quality unstructured training.

Attacking. If you learn good attacking you’ll learn defense by default. That’s not true the other way around. If I take a bunch of white belts and teach them extensive armbar offense for a year, you will start to see them defending armbars against each other pretty good.

It's interesting how opposite grappling is to striking in this context. Hitting someone hard is easy, and if you have the right kind of explosiveness you don't even need to throw punches correct to do damage, avoiding being hit is where the expertise lies. In grappling just being physically strong gives you an amount of defense, the skill lies in being able to do the techniques.

Shields are pretty good offensively too though. You can bash with them and charge in to grapple. They do a lot of damage when you strike with them.

One of the things I learned from being a teenage martial artist with too much time on his hands: shields are incredibly overpowered in melee combat. You can match up all kinds of weapons, and most have trouble dealing with a shield. I'd probably favor a good shield over a sword in a match up just because the shield is better at attacking than the sword is at defending. A shield + armor makes you nearly invulnerable to a sword.

Swords are surprisingly pretty weak weapons. They lose to armored opponents, shielded opponents, long melee weapons like spears, ranged weapons, etc.

I know none of this is really relevant to the point of the quote. I agree with the point of the quote 100%. I was just looking for an excuse to talk about shields.

I believe it was more a metaphorical statement.

So im getting a general feel from here that both are equally attainable and important..which wasnt what i was expecting to be honest..i was expecting more divisional opinions ..

However i still feel defense or good defense isnt the hallmark of a good jiujitsu fighter.. For example someone with a good wrestler base could defend against jiujitsu attacks..does that mean hes good at jiujitsu??..where as a good wrestler couldnt really attack anyone effectively submission wise ..or handle sweeps or key ground positions..so i think attacking still shows your jiujitsu skills more then defense..but i can agree both are important and can be achieved simultaneously

Back