Joe Rogan: fighters are lucky Lebron plays basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have trained soccer my whole life, I grew up in a family of soccer coaches, I've several friends and relatives who are pro soccer players and I've covered plenty of pro soccer training sessions as a journalist.

The heavy physical training for a soccer player is in the pre-season. And not even that hard when compared with other much more physically dependant sports.

During the season, the regular training session of a pro player is much more heavily focused in technical and tactical aspects, given that physical training will only give you so much of an edge in soccer. It's definitely not that hard - from a physical standpoint - by the standards of elite athletes.

Im discussing with a couple of genius that refuse to acknowledge that fighting - or American football - is a more physical sport than European futbol. Thats the level of illiteracy and dellusion going on with you, couple of insecure kiddos
Fair point about the training, it isn't super physical especially during the season. I never said it was more physical then Football or MMA, it obviously isn't, calling their training light is still misleading imo considering pretty much every Soccer player has elite stamina, and certain positions will warrant different workouts and physical abilities from the players.

Now that you do your best to bring a standout athlete, you go look for it in rugby - intimately related to American football - while you have been pretending soccer is just as physically demanding sport as them. Why are you such an insecure kiddo?
By the way, your repressed gaylord insecurities surfaced again, you just can't help it. Give me some smilies :)

Ive yet to see anyone actually give you the slightest response to homophobic insults. It’s bizarre in all honesty, and much more reflective of who you are as a person than some random bloke on the internet who clearly seems to have touched a nerve with you.

For probably the nth time now - you’re getting mixed up between physicality and athleticism. The debate here is about the latter - so do try to keep up. Nobody is arguing that the NFL, rugby, mma or boxing are less ‘physical’ than football in the sense they’re much more ‘rough’ sports to play.

Are you still following?

In the same way, they’re also much more ‘physical’ than the decathlon. That doesn’t mean athletes from rugby, the NFL, or combat sports are better athletes than high level decathletes.

Do you follow now? I can’t give you the ‘language barrier’ benefit forever son, at some point I’ve just got to accept that you’re a fucking simp <45>

Fair point about the training, it isn't super physical especially during the season. I never said it was more physical then Football or MMA, it obviously isn't, calling their training light is still misleading imo considering pretty much every Soccer player has elite stamina, and certain positions will warrant different workouts and physical abilities from the players.

I think that’s perhaps where he’s very confused.

People like to pick and choose their own definition of athleticism. If you equate athleticism in an athlete to how much contact there is in the sport they play, then of course you would see football as being way down the list. You would see basketball as being way down the list too for that matter.

I’m assuming reading comprehension isn’t his strong point.

feathers being ruffled for 118 pages. you're all wrong.

Wow 118 pages of stupid bullshit I'm glad I didn't read. Posting this gif just cause its funny:

f0a.gif

Ive yet to see anyone actually give you the slightest response to homophobic insults. It’s bizarre in all honesty, and much more reflective of who you are as a person than some random bloke on the internet who clearly seems to have touched a nerve with you.

For probably the nth time now - you’re getting mixed up between physicality and athleticism. The debate here is about the latter - so do try to keep up. Nobody is arguing that the NFL, rugby, mma or boxing are less ‘physical’ than football in the sense they’re much more ‘rough’ sports to play.

Are you still following?

In the same way, they’re also much more ‘physical’ than the decathlon. That doesn’t mean athletes from rugby, the NFL, or combat sports are better athletes than high level decathletes.

Do you follow now? I can’t give you the ‘language barrier’ benefit forever son, at some point I’ve just got to accept that you’re a fucking simp <45>

People like to pick and choose their own definition of athleticism. If you equate athleticism in an athlete to how much contact there is in the sport they play, then of course you would see football as being way down the list. You would see basketball as being way down the list too for that matter.

All the pretrending in the world and then when you want to put an example of an standout athlete....you go looking for it in rugby.

<{Heymansnicker}>

Chage the word "physical" for "rough" btw, in your desperate run of pretending.

I'm pretty sure by physical he means how much physical contact and pressure is being pushed onto the player relative to other sports, and how much it relies on strength and athleticism, stuff like Rugby and Football would fit the bill, the NBA isn't "physical" the same way the other two are, although it still requires quite a bit of strength and explosiveness unless you are already extremely skilled. In soccer, stamina and mobility is generally what you want from most players, which is also an aspect of athleticism, certain players and positions are a lot more physical then most though.

Last edited:
All the pretrending in the world and then when you want to put an example of an standout athlete....you go looking for it in rugby.

<{Heymansnicker}>

Chage the word "physical" for "rough" btw, in your desperate run of pretending.

<{vega}>

If anyone can translate that into something tangible, please feel free to.

I'm pretty sure by physical he means how much physical contact and pressure is being pushed onto the player relative to other sports, and how much it relies on strength and athleticism, stuff like Rugby and Football would fit the bill, the NBA isn't "physical" the same way the other two are, although it still requires quite a bit of strength and explosiveness unless you are already extremely skilled.

Yeah I get that.

Ultimately how much physical contact a participant experiences in their sport isn’t a measure of their athleticism.

If it was, then the only sensible answer to the old ‘what sport has the best athletes’ would be combat sports.

I thought this thread would die after the laughter was over from the Jake Paul thrashing of an NBA player

I've played basketball has a kid and as an adult on a daily basis until my knees gave out.

I've played with NBA players and NFL football players as I played for 8 years on the UT campus. These guys that went to the pros came back in the off season to play all the time.

I'm telling you, the only "superior" feature NBA players have is their height. This is why you see them signing freakishly tall people. There are regular guys working at McDonalds that can do spinning dunks and doing moves that will break your ankles.

These guys are not "tough". They are specifically good at a single thing - basketball. There's nothing wrong with that and the skills I've seen are incredible...but it doesn't translate to anything else but BASKETBALL. The same goes with any other sport. These guys are PRO's and it's all they do all day.

I bet a person that's never wired a house would get his ASS KICKED by me because that's what I do all day and I know what I'm doing.

I hate soccer and think it's gay as hell but the athletic ability of your average soccer player is usually beyond a basketball player.

These days, basketball is not physical. If you even TOUCH another player it's a foul. Watch an NBA game from the 70's or 80's compared to now and see the difference of time between whistle blows. It's completely ridiculous.
I think you make an extremely important point and I agree with many things you said. However there is no precedent whatsoever to say that a freakishly big person like Lebron who wasn't even just being recruited for basketball but was being recruited for being one of the greatest athletes in the land would not have been GREAT if all of the focus had been on MMA instead of basketball. Russell Westbrook isn't beating up trained fighters. However a trained Russell Westbrook who dedicated his life to mma and was clearly athletic enough to be a beast in other sports would be magnificent to see. There is no precedent for it because most people who have better options will exhaust those before saying let's get paid less to possibly get beat up and humiliated on TV. Lebron due to being one of the best athletes in the land in his youth in addition to having a physicality mma simply hasn't seen cannot simply be compared to just any basketball player on terms of this kind of athlete would transfer over well. The fact is there is no guarantee who will but if I had to pick from a pool of who I think would have massive advantages you would be extremely stupid to disregard a Lebron

I said light when compared to the physical demand of other elite athletes.
Are we seriously going to deny that it is much more "hard", as opposed to "light", the training regime of a wrestler or a cyclist or a rugby player than a soccer player?

The physical training for player in soccer is not much different between positions. They do train different tactical and technical exercises depending on the position.
But physical? Can you put a example, please? As I said, I know soccer training regimes pretty well and not sure what are you talking about there.

I thought this thread would die after the laughter was over from the Jake Paul thrashing of an NBA player

It doesn’t count apparently <45>

We have to have a random Youtuber spark out Lebron James before we can conclusively say that basketball isn’t the pinnacle of the sporting world <45>

<{vega}>

If anyone can translate that into something tangible, please feel free to.

Keep pretrending athleticism is as determinant in soccer as it is in fighting or American football- Then when you want to put an example of an standout athlete, yo go look for it in rugby. lol loser

<{Heymansnicker}>

You use the word "rough" instead of saying straight up "physical"...because it makes you uncomfortable it seems. We already talked about your closet

Keep pretrending athleticism is as determinant in soccer as it is in fighting or American football- Then when you want to put an example of an standout athlete, yo go look for it in rugby. lol loser

<{Heymansnicker}>

You use the word "rough" instead of saying straight up "physical"...because it makes you uncomfortable it seems. We already talked about your closet

Appreciate you translating your previous post into legible English.

Em....yes. I used the word ‘rough’ and stated that’s what I thought you meant when you were saying ‘physical’.....it is, isn’t it?

You do know that the physicality of a sport is different from the athleticism of the participants of that sport, don’t you? <45>

I'm pretty sure by physical he means how much physical contact and pressure is being pushed onto the player relative to other sports, and how much it relies on strength and athleticism, stuff like Rugby and Football would fit the bill, the NBA isn't "physical" the same way the other two are, although it still requires quite a bit of strength and explosiveness unless you are already extremely skilled. In soccer, stamina and mobility is generally what you want from most players, which is also an aspect of athleticism, certain players and positions are a lot more physical then most though.

Sports are about imposing physicality or using skill (and tactic) to overcome such physicality. Period.

In some sports, they physical imposition is much more determinant than others: fighting, rugby, NBA in the 80s relative to today, or even soccer in the Premier league relative to the Spanish league where lighter contact is considered faul.

Vidic is considered a physical player relative to other positions in soccer. And YOU acknowledge this. When compared to other more physical sports, is not that physical and actually in that video what I see is mostly good positioning and tacking technique. If you wanted to share a video of an athlete performing atheticism displays, a soccer player would be a bad choice.

If some dudes can't understand - or refuse to - the difference between physicality and skill is not my issue.

Appreciate you translating your previous post into legible English.

Em....yes. I used the word ‘rough’ and stated that’s what I thought you meant when you were saying ‘physical’.....it is, isn’t it?

You do know that the physicality of a sport is different from the athleticism of the participants of that sport, don’t you? <45>

When you want to put an example of a standout athlete you go for Sonny Bill who plays in a physic...sorry, "rough" sport...lol what a sissy you are haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back