Joe Rogan says Weight cutting is legalized cheating. Outlines removing it

Partly this but combined with licensing for weight classes, so weigh fighters a couple times in the year (ideally randomly, but semi randomly is good enough). On the UFC end I can't imagine it's much of a stretch to ask USADA inspectors to bring a scale along when they drug test.

I believe the sport will move in this direction. It must

And you are right

In theory I dont see the issue with a WW who chooses to become 210lbs or fat off season (Johnny Hendricks)

But he really harms his health dropping a lot of fat to 198lbs and then cutting 28lbs of water weight (that is what he used to do). When he fought GSP it was before USADA, before IV bans and he probably was near 200lbs a realistic max for someone that size. (Someone lesnar size could do 40lbs with IV) but Prime Brock never felt the need to and was not even that big of a cutter. Prime brock was cutting 10lbs to 15lbs at max I recall 20lbs which is what a lot of LW and WW or most of them do. Off season Brock was 290lbs to 295lbs

However, what do you propose? That a WW cant be above 200lbs during the off season or what?

They need more weight classes and a weight cut limit system, but the UFC is in the promoting business, not in the long term health business, they will only spend money on what they feel gives a return or help them legitimize them as a sport like USADA, the UFC wont make changes unless they have a high profile death, which most likely wont happen, and if a death does happen they will treat it as the anomally considering their run without anyone dying (somehow).

lol ones hydration test. the last couple dudes mighty mouse fought in one looked like feather weights
IMHO ONE FC has to be doing something but those guys still cut, but not to the extent the would in other orgs, DJ himself used to fight at +140lbs, sure he isnt cutting to 125 there, but he is doing it to 135lbs.

They should call up Chatri, I see no end to it.

The only way to solve this, if its in some way incorporate it, regulate it into the UFCs specialized tailored USADA system in the lead up to a fight, like for a month or so, with check-ups where they have to be weight-wise at certain points with less leeway the closer to the fight you get.

And base it on random weight testing for that month (to not have it be a huge UFC financial expenditure all over the world as well), but UFC wont do that cos they wont cut a fight cos someone is 2 pounds over that arbitrary limit in the weight descent a couple of weeks off the fight. Losing money that way.

The "globalness" will always be an issue for the UFC in this aspect though.

Last edited:
I've said for a while that extreme weight cutting is arguably more advantageous and dangerous to the fighter than PED's.

If you were like a Ryan Hall fighting at lightweight without cutting, would you rather be fighting guys like TJ Dillashaw, someone who walks around at the weight while juiced to the tits or a guy like Tibau or a smaller Rumble, who actual walks around nearly 220 and will be nearly 180 when you get in the cage to your 156? Keep in mind they're all UFC caliber fighters either way. It feels easy at first to just say the weight cutter, but after any deeper level of thinking, it's not that simple a choice.

And how many fights fall apart for missing weight? Needing hospitalization or some degree of medical attention?

But no one wants to address it like PED's because it's so completely standardized right now, it's almost expected. It's like a Mexican standoff, cuz if your opponent is going to, you might as well. No one wants to be the first one to lower that gun.

It is difficult to make quantitative criteria for distinguishing between weight cutting and normal weight controlling. Most of us, if not all of us, would agree that too much weight cutting is not only unhealthy to the fighter but also unfair for his opponent. But how to make criteria to tell whether a fighter has done too much weight cutting? There already exists the policy that a fighter's weight difference between his official weight and post-fight weight must not exceed a certain percentage, but we still see fighters who are too big in their divisions. I think it is not that the committee do not want to make stricter criteria, but that they have not found sensible, quantitative crieria. It is easy to say that someone has done too much weight cutting, but it is difficult to make it a factual judgement.

There isn't much I'd like to see leave the sport. But big weight cutting is definitely one of them. Its unhealthy. It costs us fights on fights getting cancelled from botched cuts. Just bad stuff. But its not going to be easy to chase it out of the sport.

Height classes instead of weight. Weaker guys who cut a lot of weight to have an advantage over shorter smaller guys will be pushed out & the best will rise to the top
This would only promote Shane Carwin type height cutting.

This is the same guy who thinks fights should take place on a giant football field. I stopped taking his opinions seriously a long time ago.

DX9U2qMz8ckYkGer4qEay2JdUjBEmB_xqZcWbdzRzyw.jpg
Damn Volk is a weight bully.

The problem is that the UFC allows the fighters to pick the WC they want to fight at. This isn't even gonna become a thought until someone dies (which will inevitably happen), but they should assign weight classes based on metrics. Here's how it might work:

The USADA guy comes with an Omron-style handheld body comp analyzer. Or the fighters can go to approved medical facilities that do the same thing or the PI center. Based on the various metrics like body fat, muscle mass, and hydration, the UFC assigns you to a weight class based on what's safe to cut to. There would be a formula that people smarter than me made up to figure out what is considered safe.

Like I said, it's not gonna happen until someone dies because this would cost more money and planning than the free-for-all that goes on now.

There already exists the policy that a fighter's weight difference between his official weight and post-fight weight must not exceed a certain percentage

No, such a policy doesn't exist. That (or something similar) is what people are saying should happen.

It stays in place so the less confident fighters that don't feel comfortable fighting at their natural weight class because they believe they'll never win a belt anyways have more multiple choices of either going up or down weight classes.

Well the issue is more is everyone else is doing it you need to do it to keep up. Clearly there are big advantages with cutting which why people do it.

They should fight with their normal weight.

A person shouldn't cut 20 pounds just to look for a muscle advantage against a smaller opponent.

I completely agree. Want to see how some of the best perform at their natural weight.

Fighting dehyrdated also harms your brain worse every hit you take. Which is why most deaths in Combat sports happened to dehyrdrayed fighters and in lower weight classws where they are dehrdrayted more

Better performance

I only disagree with Joe on more weight classes. ONE does not have more weight classes it is not needed and they elimintaed weight cutting with multiple hydration tests (to see if you are dehyrdated) and by testing your hydration and weigh in day before the fight and day of.

FLW is 125lbs to 135lbs
BW is 135lbs to 145lbs
FW is 145lbs to 155lbs
LW is 155lbs to 170lbs
WW in ONE FC is 170lbs to 185lbs
MW is 185lbs to 205lbs
LHW is 205lbs to 225lbs (should be 235lbs)
HW is 225lbs to 265lbs (should be 235lbs to 295lbs)

Lols at more weight classes stopping weight cutting. They will still cut the same weight to make the smallest division possible.

Back