News John McCarthy blames Pat Barry and team for Rose Namajunas' title loss

John McCarthy believes Rose Namajunas' partner Pat Barry and the rest of her corner are partly responsible for the recently dethroned strawweight queen's title loss to Carla Esparza at UFC 274.

The former MMA referee believes that corners need to stop telling their fighters that they won a round when they are not completely sure. According to McCarthy, 'Thug' might have appeared to be in a better flow than her opponent but it was the lack of offense that led to her title loss.

The 59-year-old said on a recent episode of Weighing In:

"One of the things that happened multiple times last night as I was watching... Cornermen need to stop telling their fighters they're winning the rounds when you don't know if it's a close round. You gotta say, 'Hey, no idea whose round that is.' Or, 'We're gonna have to say that we lost that because we don't know the way the judges are gonna go.' You can't sit there and fall in love with what your fighter is doing based upon, 'Damn, they look good.' Rose Namajunas looked fantastic in her movement, her footwork was beautiful, she was in control of the cage as far as... She was comfortable."

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/news-john-mccarthy-blames-pat-barry-team-rose-namajunas-title-loss

Yeah, fucking genius John, tell the girl that needs to chant "I AM THE BEST" just to even get in the cage that she's not the best and she's not winning.

Simple as that!

I pretty much just blame Pat.

Wittman was looking for more action and Pat was encouraging her to embrace the boos.

Pat should never corner her again.

These are women. They need to be told there the best. And they’re amazing no matter what.

Ya know the same a man fighting in the cage would be talked to.

Rose seems like a mentally fragile individual. She probably needs to be constantly reassured. That's all they did the whole fight. They know how she responds best, and I'm thinking honesty would have just sank her completely. She seriously needs a sports psychologist. She can't apparently handle proper corner advice at the moment. That being said I think pat Barry is a complete idiot

I pretty much just blame Pat.

Wittman was looking for more action and Pat was encouraging her to embrace the boos.

Pat should never corner her again.

I’m fairness Trevor said that in round 5. Rose needs to be handled with kidngloves. Even the press conference when the reporter asked her a question she got applause from the crowd and started laughing them crying

I don’t know your experience with women but you can have any honesty at all other you say night and the next and forever will be held against you for even being slightly honest. And rose is levels above that. She’s the most mentally inept fighter I’ve ever seen crying all the time during face offs. fightings not for her. There have been maybe 10 in the history of boxing and mma so that’s not a knock on her.

She’s an emotional basket case.

The reason is money.

They don't want to pay the licensing fee, nor do they want to buy the idea outright. They also don't want to pay for research and development into attempting to develop a similar solution that doesn't violate the patent on the gloves that are out already.
They should use Trevor and Pat's recent blunder at 274 to put downward pressure on Trevor's price for his gloves. They already niced him up by giving him that coach spotlight on most broadcasts, but they need to work harder to get the goods from him.

I still imagine "anonymous" phone calls being put through on the sly where the only dialogue is "three eye pokes tonight - you got that, bookie??"

Pat is the one to blame for Rose losing

If Pat could stop gaslighting Rose for a moment in between rounds and let her actual coach Trevor corner her without Pat interrupting then she would have had a good chance to win the fight

Pat did not allow Wittman to actually be a coach during that fight

The UFC needs to ban Pat from cornering Rose

I believe corner talk is usually not the best thing to analyze by fans or anyone else, because we have no clue about the coach-fighter relationship and on top of that every fighter is a different person. Someone is able to listen to advice and stay calm, others need encouragement and some need to be yelled at. So yeah, just because some coach is not being super analytical and is not providing some profound advice to the fighter, it doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing.

That being said, Wittman's corner advice to Rose was some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard in my life. It sounded more like a cheesy motivational speech or a TED talk by some self-help book author, absolutely ridiculous :D.

I thought it was impossible for me to agree with BJM but here we are with an agreeable take from him.

In other news, water is wet.

It is also Rose. Looking from the outside, she doesn't seem to be the strongest person mentally. She might break if you tell her negative things about her performance mid fight. Pat Barry and Whitman know her better than all of us. I will admit Pat might be not be the best coach for her because he loves her. He might have an issue seeing fault in her.

If Pat yells at her and tells her she is doing the wrong shit. There will be a ton of threads saying he is abusive blah blah blah.

F5If3np.jpg

I always found this quote hilarious. Its basically saying "yeah the judges who are an essential part of a fight are pretty much incompetent by default, so dont count on them getting it right. And yeahhh we really cant or wont do anything about it, sooo IDK I guess just try to force the finish even though that is generally ill-advised in combat-sports".

Id rather hear his opinion on what the Ref should have done.

Theres a fine line ( for more reasons than one) in telling a fighter he or she won a 50-50 or really close round and I'm more for John than not.
Every fighter reacts differently to corner opinion/advice .... you have to know your fighter and dont just tell him you won a round .

Most fighters know a questionable round when walking to stool.

I wonder if Rose has the mental strength to be told she lost a round? I'm not saying that to be funny.

Correct response from BJM.

If it's a close round, you gotta let the fighter know it could go either way or worse, let's pretend like we lost that round. Meanwhile Barry was telling Rose the fans are booing so she's doing her job. What the hell kind of advice is that? It's one thing if she was dominating via lay & pray but it was boring. Doing nothing and getting booed means...you are doing nothing.

Back