4. Hang Em High
5. Paint Your Wagon
6. 2 Mules For Sister Sara
7. High Plains Drifter
8. The Outlaw Josey Wales
9. Pale Rider
10. Unforgiven

John who?

Clints best western movies are better than Waynes. The average Wayne movie might be better though.

But John Wayne is more synonymous with a western cowboy than clint is.

I voted Wayne. His most overlooked film, which is a western, is The Big Trail from 1930(!). It was a commercial flop, but incredible for its time.

He also just has more good westerns than Clint. His volume was insane.

I prefer Clint Eastwood as a star. He’s more intimidating than John Wayne

I had already seen a bunch of John Wayne parodies before I actually ever saw a John Wayne movie. So it was always hard for me to take his way of speaking and walking seriously.

I think a John Wayne is a “you had to be there” type.

I think that explains the gap in this poll. You poll people that were around for John Wayne’s prime and Clint Eastwood’s rise, it would probably be different.

did you know that despite being 6’4”..:John Wayne only wore a size 8 1/2 shoe? That’s probably why he walked like he did

I can appreciate that John Wayne had a certain swagger about him but he always seemed a bit too 'safe' to me. Eastwood was the one with the edge.

having said that, I've never really been into westerns. The only ones I like are The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Once Upon A Time In America.

I also never got into John Wayne but that might be a strange reason. Even as a child i thought he moved and behaved quite female. I did ballet as a child and had contact with quite some very female gay adult ballet dancers and Wayne always felt like that which made him not believable . No idea if John Wayne was gay but yeah for me he has a strong female side underneath that macho mask that contradicts his movie roles. Strange reason I know and maybe I am the only one seing that.

Clint isn't much of an actor regarding range but his persona fit the movie roles.
Well, some people think that because he had a girls name that he overcompensated. Don't know if he was gay but there are crazy rumors that he and John Ford were having little boys brought in to molest. Rumors are nothing but that's how most real dark shit starts out as.

I think that was his best performance

Agreed. Clint's final lines always give me goosebumps no matter how many times I watch it.

You better bury Ned right. And you better not cut nor otherwise harm no whores. Or I'll come back and kill every last one of you sons of bitches!

What made the final scenes so powerful is that, up until he hears about Little Bill whipping Ned to death, Munny has tried his best to supress the darkness inside. To convince himself he's a better man,

I ain't like that no more. I ain't no crazy killing fool.

But eventually he can no longer deny his true nature,

Yeah, I've killed women and children. Killed most anything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned.

clint is great actor but i enjoy old western movies more

Clints best western movies are better than Waynes. The average Wayne movie might be better though.

But John Wayne is more synonymous with a western cowboy than clint is.

In a similar way Bruce Lee's name is associated with martial arts films more than Jet Li. But Jet Li's lesser known films are better than any of Bruce's and there are more of them.

- The movie is The War Wagon. Still look magic to me. The climate, scenes, acting. In Brazil was called Flexas de fogo or Arrows of fire.

Westerns where 40 or so years before my time. But still love them. Grew up watching them with my dad, grand-daddy and uncles. And pretending to be a "gunslinger" on my backyard.

Agreed. Clint's final lines always give me goosebumps no matter how many times I watch it.

You better bury Ned right. And you better not cut nor otherwise harm no whores. Or I'll come back and kill every last one of you sons of bitches!

What made the final scenes so powerful is that, up until he hears about Little Bill whipping Ned to death, Munny has tried his best to supress the darkness inside. To convince himself he's a better man,

I ain't like that no more. I ain't no crazy killing fool.

But eventually he can no longer deny his true nature,

Yeah, I've killed women and children. Killed most anything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned.

You just shot an unarmed man!

Well, he should have armed himself, if he’s gonna decorate his saloon with my friend

Also I’ve seen Eastwood on Rawhide and loved his episodes

You just shot an unarmed man!

Well, he should have armed himself, if he’s gonna decorate his saloon with my friend

Also I’ve seen Eastwood on Rawhide and loved his episodes

Munny, "It's a Hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away everything he has, and everything he was ever gonna have"

The Kid, "Well, I guess he had it coming!"

Munny, "We all have it comin' Kid"

I voted Wayne but it's close. He paved the way for the westerns Clint did in the following decades. Also i think people aren't taking into consideration what Wayne had to work with. Film making progressed a lot from when John started making movies until Clint did.

They're also both Hollywood goats so a vote for Eastwood is respectable to me.. although with such a lop sided poll I wonder how many voters have honestly watched enough John Wayne movies to form an opinion here

I voted John Wayne, on the strenght of The Searchers and The man who shot Liberty Valance mostly. If it's the choice between what both men represent, classic western vs revisionist western, I'd still go with Wayne though I love Clint's work as well and I'm a big fan of the westerns of the sixties and seventies.

Eastwood wasn’t a war hawk who missed the draft with a surfing injury. Clint all day

Clint was a lifeguard in California for his military career.

Here's a real G.
Star-Trek-actor-Scotty-James-Doonan.jpg

James Doohan was part of the D Day invasion, landing on Juno Beach. He's credited with killing 2 Nazi snipers. He was shot later on that night 4 times in the leg, and once in the middle finger.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I love both Wayne and Eastwood's Westerns.

I'm a big fan of both of their acting careers and accomplishments.

This is nearly too close to call. Their careers overlapped a bit, but I give a slight edge to John Wayne's Westerns.

Eastwood and it's not even close.

Definitely a generational thing... Like if you were asking "Who do you like more - Hank Williams Sr. or Johnny Cash?" Everyone here would say Johnny, but you know who liked Hank Williams more than Johnny Cash? Johnny Cash. When you were born plays a huge factor. Clint was the guy who was on the lead-in to the period where anti-Westerns like Unforgiven made sense, getting edgier and edgier. He's the Stone Cold Steve Austin to Wayne's Brett the Hit Man Hart. Younger generations ate that stuff up.

Also, Clint.

Back