Johnnie Walker is the best bang for your buck in the Scotch world.

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
When I first started drinking Scotch I looked down on Johnnie Walker.

I thought it was the Scotch version of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam.

In addition to that, I also read that blended Scotch was inferior to single malt Scotch.

But after me and my buddy did many blind taste tests, we've both come to the conclusion that Johnnie Walker is awesome.

Here's the order in which I'd rank the Scotch I've had (that I can remember)

1. Johnnie Walker gold reserve, which is amazing because it's not even the most expensive Scotch.
2. Johnnie Walker 18 year
3. Johnnie Walker double black
4. Tied between Johnnie Walker Blue, Red, Black (just get the red, it's cheaper)
5. Macallan 15
6. Kirkland 12 year, Macallan 12
7. Laphroaig
8. The Glenlivet 14
9. Monkey Shoulder
10. The Glenlivet 12
11. Glenmorangie
12. Finlaggan old reserve
13. Kirkland blended Scotch
14. Dewars
15. Chivas Regal
16. Johnnie Walker Green (which is weird because a lot of people love this one. I don't though)
17. All the stuff I can't remember
1028. Lismore single malt

Walker is doing well in the scotch game.

I can see the resemblance

1715751983577.png
JohnnyWalker.jpg

1. Johnnie Walker gold reserve, which is amazing because it's not even the most expensive Scotch.
Last year me and my gf took a trip to Punta Canta, Dominican Republic. We stayed in an Airbnb that the owner didn't have a chance to clean/clear out before we arrived. He sent me a text apologizing and he said he'd give me a discount. I said "ah don't worry we'll be OK". It was obvious by looking in the refrigerator there was a massive party the days prior. A few half empty bottle of various alcohol, left over cook out food, and desserts. On top of the fridge, there was 750ml bottle of Johnnie Walker gold reserve!!! Unopened and still in the box. A card attached said something like, "Congrats on your 10th anniversary bla bla". It was a forgotten gift left there. We drank it all over the course of a 7 day trip.

Last edited:
Johnnie Walker is pretty meh. Can get much more interesting blends these days: Thompson Bros SRV5 / TB-BSW6, Maclean's Nose from Ardnamurchan, Campbeltown Loch from Springbank, Compass Box Orchard House (any Compass Box really).

Johnnie Walker is pretty meh. Can get much more interesting blends these days: Thompson Bros SRV5 / TB-BSW6, Maclean's Nose from Ardnamurchan, Campbeltown Loch from Springbank, Compass Box Orchard House (any Compass Box really).
You just rattled off a bunch of of some stuff I have never heard of. I guess I can research those though.

For me, the standard 12y Highland Park is the best entry level single malt that I enjoy, especially back in the older label days.

12-3-in.jpg

Right now, I'm going through a bottle of 12y sherry oak cask Deanston highland single malt.

800x.jpg

Tried it because I am not familiar with this brand, pretty heavy on the sherry which is fine for a 12 year old whiskey.

Last year me and my gf took a trip to Punta Canta, Dominican Republic. We stayed in an Airbnb that the owner didn't have a chance to clean/clear out before we arrived. He sent me a text apologizing and he said he'd give me a discount. I said "ah don't worry we'll be OK". It was obvious by looking in the refrigerator there was a massive party the days prior. A few half empty bottle of various alcohol, left over cook out food, and desserts. On top of the fridge, there was 750ml bottle of Johnnie Walker gold reserve!!! Unopened and still in the box. A card attached said something like, "Congrats on your 10th anniversary bla bla". It was a forgotten gift left there. We drank it all over the course of a 7 day trip.
Nice!!! Of all the bottles they could've left... You got the best one!

I've never heard of any of those, so thank you. Hopefully they're not hard to find.

When you say Johnnie Walker is meh, are you talking about the red and black? Have you tried the gold reserve?

Try some Lagavulin, Auchentaushan or Bunnahabhain.
I've heard of Lagavulin and Bunnahahain but not the other one. I'll check them out, thanks.

The Black Label is good at that price.
The red label is pretty Bad and pretty much only good for mixing only.
As far as really cheap Blends go, "Teachers" is my favourite.

Green Label is my favourite Johnnie Walker
Blue Label is good but overpriced as hell.

Last edited:
I got a bottle of Johnny Blue in my liquor cabinet that someone gave me as a gift like 10 years ago, never opened it
If I'm drinking Scotch it's Laphroaig 10 or Oban 14

I got a bottle of Johnny Blue in my liquor cabinet that someone gave me as a gift like 10 years ago, never opened it
If I'm drinking Scotch it's Laphroaig 10 or Oban 14
It's not Smokey at all, just real smooth and a little fruity. If you don't think you'd like it then you can always re-gift it. It's almost $200 a bottle so it's a helluva gift.

Johnny Walker ........you sound poor. Real Sherdoggers only touch single malts.

The red label is pretty Bad and pretty much only good for mixing only.
That's what I thought too until I did the blind taste tests and kept picking the red label over other more expensive bottles.

Which is great for me. I get to save money now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Real Deal
Back