Johnny Lawrence vs Mike Barnes - WHO TAKES IT?

I heard the chick was actually like 16 or 17, and that's why they made it plutonic. But idk.

Just looked it up on Wikipedia. It says she was 17, so I guess I was off by a year. Apparently Macchio was 27 and portraying an 18 year-old.

And don't forget, Johnny could have had 5 more years under the tutelage of Kreese by the time Barnes fought an unmotivated Daniel-san. Plus Daniel didn't spend a full camp with Miyagi.

Hmm, an interesting little tidbit I found:

The 1984 film The Karate Kid is one of the most iconic films of the 1980s. It entered the pop culture lexicon with the characters of Daniel and Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita) and the famous line, "Wax on, wax off". With The Karate Kid Part II, the filmmakers exceeded the expectations of fans and the film made even more money than its predecessor. Then came The Karate Kid Part III. Fans and critics were left disappointed with the plot that was simply a repeat of the first two films. But the screenwriter of the film, Robert Mark Kamen, had other plans that could've taken the film in a new direction.

Talking with Crave Online, Kamen said the story he wanted to tell involved time travel.

"I was going to tell the saga in reverse. Daniel and Mr. Miyagi are in a boat. It all happens when Daniel gets hit on the head and he has a dream. He’s in a coma or something and they see a boat in the mist. It docks and Mr. Miyagi and Daniel follow the first Miyagi ancestor into China and then they get involved in this thing. It would’ve been really cool but nobody wanted to do it."

And according to Wikipedia. . .

Kamen was so disgusted with the way Daniel LaRusso (Macchio's character) was altered from his portrayal in the script to his portray in The Karate Kid, Part III that he refused to involve himself in The Next Karate Kid, the only film in the original franchise in which Macchio did not appear.

Johnny. That blonde swoop is magical.

Oh, well Johnny was definitely the more beautiful of the two, no doubt about THAT.

And don't forget, Johnny could have had 5 more years under the tutelage of Kreese by the time Barnes fought an unmotivated Daniel-san. Plus Daniel didn't spend a full camp with Miyagi.

Daniel was basically the Sokoudjou of the karate world. He got a few good wins and the hype train rolled through. The only difference is he got off right before he got totally exposed as the can he was.

Johnny beats Barnes. Bobby Brown beats both imo.

Kreese knew Bobby could beat Johnny, that's why he had him disqualified.

If Johnny was Apollo, then Barnes was Drago.

LOL, what the hell are you even quoting? I just want back through the thread and don't see where I said that.

That was Robert Kamen's thoughts re: the time travel script for Karate Kid 3. It was a quote within a quote but I'm not spending all day figuring out how to embed that properly.

That was Robert Kamen's thoughts re: the time travel script for Karate Kid 3. It was a quote within a quote but I'm not spending all day figuring out how to embed that properly.

Okay, I see it now.

That story idea sounds like something that could've either gone horribly wrong (the most likely scenario) or something that, perhaps with just the right writer or director, could've ended up being an interesting, if strange, film.

Okay, I see it now.

That story idea sounds like something that could've either gone horribly wrong (the most likely scenario) or something that, perhaps with just the right writer or director, could've ended up being an interesting, if strange, film.

Interesting and strange sounds like a good description of its ceiling. It's one of the most inappropriate and silly pitches I've heard. It's bordering on Highlander 2 bad and is clearly worse than the Alien 3 wooden planet.

Even if they made it perfectly, it would have pissed everyone off. Karate Kid 3...was it time travel or a dream?

Even if they made it perfectly, it would have pissed everyone off. Karate Kid 3...was it time travel or a dream?

LOL. I do have to say that "was it all a dream?" endings are just the fucking WORST. I haven't seen one done in ages either so I suspect they're dead and buried.

If he really wanted to go all out with the idea then he should've just straight up made it a time travel movie. Daniel-san meets an eccentric genius who has built a time machine and we get to see Ralph Macchio get in the machine and, surrounding by a ton of 1989-level special effects, travel through a wormhole to the 1700s or whatever.

LOL. I do have to say that "was it all a dream?" endings are just the fucking WORST. I haven't seen one done in ages either so I suspect they're dead and buried.

If he really wanted to go all out with the idea then he should've just straight up made it a time travel movie. Daniel-san meets an eccentric genius who has built a time machine and we get to see Ralph Macchio get in the machine and, surrounding by a ton of 1989-level special effects, travel through a wormhole to the 1700s or whatever.

I suppose, but I don't know what on earth made him think The Karate Kid is an appropriate forum for time travel adventures. Just write a time travel movie about other characters going back to Ancient China or Japan.

Rocky 8: Rocky falls into a wormhole and has to fight Queensbury Rules in 1800s Coventry.

I suppose, but I don't know what on earth made him think The Karate Kid is an appropriate forum for time travel adventures. Just write a time travel movie about other characters going back to Ancient China or Japan.

LOL, I dunno, but considering this is a martial arts movie every time I see his name I keep thinking it's this Rob Kamen (Rob Kaman) we're talking about:

robkaman.jpg

Rocky 8: Rocky falls into a wormhole and has to fight Queensbury Rules in 1800s Coventry.

You know, that's obviously completely ridiculous and insane, but at the same time I'm sitting here nodding my head and thinking, "Would watch."

I think the better questions center around the Karate Kid 2 "slope." We know Johnny isn't beating Karate's Bad Boy Mike Barnes. That's Apollo vs Drago all over again.

Barnes beats johnny and johnnys teacher

Then terry silver beats the shit out of barnes. And sues him.

I think the better questions center around the Karate Kid 2 "slope." We know Johnny isn't beating Karate's Bad Boy Mike Barnes. That's Apollo vs Drago all over again.

Yes, Yuji Okumoto was credited as "Karate Kid 2 Slope" in the end scroll.

Back