Crime Johns Hopkins changes the definition of "lesbian", "women" don't exist anymore

How do you feel about this?

• Total voters
You are in the War Room bitching about strangers expressing opinions on a subject they obviously feel compelled to talk about. And you're a Moderator that appears to be shitting on said posters for forming and expressing their opinions because "Um, it's Johns Hopkins. They likely have nothing to do with that institution!". Acting like an HVAC repairman or auto mechanic can't be more intelligent or logical than some knucklehead diversity, equity, and inclusion manager at Johns Hopkins that thinks lesbians are "non-men" is foolish.

The culture war "bs" as you put it is political in case you haven't noticed. When a woman who can be one of our Supreme Court Justices has no clue how to define the word "woman" we are so far into the intersection of culture war / politics it's not funny. Not funny at all. It's ludicrous and honestly quite sad. It should be of concern that this is the point that we find ourselves at and worth talking about. My country's Administration is hanging gay pride flags front and center of the American flag. Did you somehow miss all of this? Or, it doesn't concern you because you're not at the White House and will never be in the Supreme Court so why have an opinion on such things? That's the gist of your argument.

Why are you so worked up over the opinions of strangers on some random forum that you "moderate"? Maybe take a step back and re-evaluate lest you look like a hypocrite going off about something that doesn't personally affect you and your daily life in any meaningful way. People care. You care about them caring. It's hilarious.

citizen-kane-orson-welles.gif

Agree. "Outrage" seems like a lot of wasted energy. That said, I'm a dude so I can't tell an actual woman how to feel about this. To me, it's comedy gold.

Johns Hopkins is pretty prominent in the medical world too, so that's part of the reason for the attention. If it was some random tiny medical school, nobody would care.
Yeah I'm not outraged, I just find it bizarre. It's a "what the actual fuck" kinda thing. It's like when the LA school board retweeted a video of women saying there's no "bad/unhealthy food". One of the women in the video also works for a snack company. Am I not allowed to have an opinion on that because it "doesn't personally affect me"? The "why do you care" shit is dumb and a copout. Every single person who's said that cares/has cared about some dumb shit. Guaranteed.

I can have an opinion about cilantro or a sports team but not a prestigious organization making a bizarre definition? Fuck off.

The funny thing is, I'm generally supportive of trans people living their lives. I just take issue with certain things that I can make no sense of and find trans PR to be sometimes nonsensical and not adhering to reality, so I guess I'm a trans phobe and supporter at the same time.

???? That's exactly whose pushing it. The pushback isn't a majority.
I don't think so. They are the ones being pushed out of their own club. It's more the progressive "women". Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it appears to me.

In another example of the batshit lunacy going around american academia at the moment, lesbians are now "non-men attracted to non-men".

"Outrage has been expressed online at Johns Hopkins University over its non-binary-inclusive definition of "lesbian" in its glossary of LGBTQ+ terms.

The Baltimore-based university, a major hub of medical research in the U.S., maintains an extensive glossary of definitions for terms relevant to the broad LGBTQ+ community, which is updated as the subject of gender and sexual identity changes.

On Monday, the glossary's new definition of "lesbian" came under attack as the university defined the term as "a non-man attracted to non-men." The update is meant to be inclusive of non-binary individuals who might still identify as lesbians.
Social media users accused Johns Hopkins of attempting to "erase" women. They also pointed to the glossary's listing for "gay man," which does not use similarly non-binary-inclusive language.

The flare-up comes amid a broader backlash to LGBTQ+ rights and the embrace of queer communities by society. Numerous state legislatures across the U.S. have begun passing laws that target transgender communities, taking particular aim at the ability to get gender-affirming care for trans children. There has also been a vocal, if not definitively widespread, lashing out against companies and brands that market to LGBTQ+ communities or hold Pride Month events.

The definition prompted a backlash on social media."

Johns Hopkins Sparks Backlash by Defining Lesbians As 'Non-Man' (newsweek.com)

Fyewvt4WAAEpUYm

A lot of women are predictably upset.

How dare they assume that a lesbian can't be a man. That doesn't sound very gender inclusive

And I get the duality of this. People come here to opine on things that no one in their immediate circle really cares enough about to discuss. And I'm on here right alongside them. But the reason no one in their immediate circle really cares about these things to discuss them is precisely because they don't really matter. We have to cobble together an international community of random people just to get 60 people to discuss it -- that should tell us how inconsequential it really is. If we put this thread as a meeting at the local YMCA -- would 60 real life people show up?

If we put this thread up as a meeting at the local YMCA, even the people in this thread won't show up.

This is just recreational debate for fun and so is almost every thread in the entire forum. That's the whole point of a forum. For fun and debate.

And where does it say we only have to discuss things that "matter." Half the threads you partake in don't matter at all either. So WTF are you talking about.

You wanna be trans? Cool. I'm ok with whatever makes people happy, just as long as its not hurting anyone.

What im not ok with is people trying to shove their beliefs or way of life down my throat or drastically change things that really dont need changing. I dont appreciate little 5 year olds learning about how its ok for them to identify as the opposite sex or even an animal. Im not cool with getting in shit cause some dude who still looks like a dude identifies with being a woman and got offended cause i said..."thanks bro". Im certainly NOT about to wear a damn name tag to let people know what I am.

Gtfo.

These fucking idiots just made males the de facto sex

I identify as a lesbian though.
I am not a man. I am a sexual tyrannosaurus

So you are worried that your daughter may some day loose to a boy wearing a woman's swim suit?

Does this actually make you worried? If she did loose a race like this what would happen you or her?

Loss of a scholarship. Just like he fucking said.

Wait, you think his daughter will loose a college scholarship if she looses a race to a trans swimmer?

This has got to be one of the stupidity fears I have ever seen. I live in Hawaii and some people are reluctant to go in the water because of shark attacks. They happen but are really rare and I can't understand not swimming just because of this.

Now as far as we know there has never been a girl that lost a scholarship because of a trans swimmer. This is just stupid to fear this.

How about performance enhancing drugs? I can guarantee clean athletes have lost out to plenty of dirty athletes via pharmaceuticals.

If you are really worried about little Susie's scholarship, don't you think pharmaceuticals is a more likely thing to be worried about?

I nominate this for dumbest post of the month.

Actually your entire collection of posts in this thread should be nominated.

I think this is a stupid thing for anyone to care about. Hopkins changes a definition for their community and people who have minimal to zero relationship to that community are screaming and crying over it. People really need to mind their own business and let other people mind theirs.

This is all information that you couldn't possibly know unless you knew everyone here. You have no idea what is who's business, you're talking right out of your ass.

For all of the things that Hopkins does at an incredibly high level, we're going to have high school dropouts bitching about the definitions they use. It's insane.

That said, I always thought gay was a broader term than lesbian? "Gay" covered men and women while "lesbian" didn't apply to men. Someone clue me in on that.

Yes, so many things, that's why you didn't bother to mention any of them, because without doing an internet search you have no fucking idea what John's Hopkins does at a "high level".

Back