Media Jon Anik tired of negativity from MMA fans, might leave in 2026

this is an insane thing to say in comparison to football fans (!!!!!!!!) but he's absolutely right. "lowest common denominator" is a phrase that comes up a ton in mma discussions

Wait til he notices Soccer-fans!

Also the nonsensical match making and favoritism of certain fighters over others, whereas in other sports every team has the same schedule... yeah I suppose you're right, MMA is extra fucked up.
Yeah that's the Problem. MMA has more subjective measures than any other sport.

-Who deserves what opportunities is subjective
-MMA judging subjective
-Some ref calls are subjecitve
-When should there be an Interim title is subjective
-Rankings are subjective
-How long can someone be inactive before dropping ranks is subjective

This is a blessing and curse. It lets people like me and you have detailed and nuanced conversations about the sport we like with a broad and interesting spectrum of opinions and perspectives. But on the opposite side, it will inevitably always lead to arguments and shit flinging.

I can understand. I'm starting to not give a damn about anyone's opinions on this stuff. All the threads about how Strickland should have won - I just don't give a fuck. There's a ton of things I've come to grow annoyed with regarding MMA discussion and politics that I often think would be much more enjoyable if I just keep to myself and think what I want to think. It's not like I really offer anybody anything of worth around here.

As if Buck, Collinsworth, Romo etc. aren't trending every single football weekend over some BS.

I think Anik is cool, and a good announcer, but 0.0% anyone gives two shits about what he does.

No one, and let me repeat, NO ONE watches MMA because of Anik.

He should watch, Dirty Harry, a thousand times ... "A man's got to know his limitations."

ice-cube-bye-felicia.gif

Yeah....

but NFL games aren't decided by someones perspective. MMA scoring is subjective, NFL Scoring is not. the officiating is subjective. While I don't watch the sport, I'd bet that's what people argue about most. (whether a ref call was a good or bad call)
It's all they argue about after every game and it happens after every single one, especially in the playoffs

Reveal yourself, Jon, so I can tell you that you'll hate life even worse, if you cover American football.

He sounds soft. He should try being a moderator on Sherdog. Some guy sent me a pm and wanted to fight me about a month ago because of Strickland, lol.
Anik would never hold the coveted title of the Sherdog Moderator of the Year. Too soft.

Laura Sinkhole/Stankho is very good these days

if you’re in the public eye, you need to assume that lots of people hate you for no reason. once you accept that, don’t read their comments.

I have no personal social media accounts at all.

giphy.gif

He has probably made some good coin and his resume will guide him to a new venture if he so chooses. His spot isn't for those with thin skin, that's for sure.

MMA fans have acted the absolute fool every time I have been at an event, small or large.

I have seen people acting stupid at other sporting events, but there isn't always someone acting stupid.

He is right about it being the lowest common denominator, I used that phrase recently. Other sports leagues contractually stop the type of low-grade smack talk that many UFC fighters get into; that's the type of person you draw with that kind of publicity. The dysfunction of the UFC as an organization contributes quite a lot to the problem in other ways also.

Obviously it isn't true of all MMA fans, but if I were to interact with a fanbase in his position, it wouldn't be MMA that I would choose.

Back