Media Jon Jones admits it was “kind of nice” to fight Gane in his HW-debut, instead of Ngannou

Who’s a stylistic harder matchup for Jon Jones?

• Total voters
Jon knows Francis was a problem. Frank is too strong, I don't think Jones wrestling was enough.

See..this is exactly why I think Pav is a worse match up than Francis...Pav has 84 inch rech too....I think this....is a bad match up too...if Jones admitted this...I think Pav is a problem...I question it of course because watching Pav on his back vs overeem Pav had no answer...so I started to watch Pav's fights...well...if you go for Pav's knees..forget it...I mean his hip movement and countering his weight is way too strong for JJ imo...but if JJ wins...he will work from hips up...IMO...JJ the best ever MMA fighter imo...but ....Pav is so dangerous for JJ...well...NoW that I think this...JJ can't shoot in...he has to stay long...and close the gap which means Pav can play striker and lean his weight on him and if JJ goes for the clinch...then what? If Pav is physically stronger..JJ will have to strike for with to bring in the clinch, grapple, and submission....

IDK...I just see Pav being too hard for JJ but Gane is not Pav...Pav is a rising star too...I just see Pav pulling it off ...even with the Gane fight...JJ looks one dimensional to me...like I don't think JJ can intimidate Pav with his strikes especially the fact both have the same reach and Pav is more explosive with hands...JJ has to just take Pav down...put him on his back....then JJ wins it easily but...Pav for me is a better version than Francis...I am not saying Pav beats Francis..I am saying Pav is a better overall version imo ...so if JJ fights Pav...its clear to me...that Pav might actually have more tools if JJ can't close the gap...we know..JJ is the best fighter...but...JJ didn't choose Francis....and came in right away to fight Gane...now wants old man Stipe.......I think there is a reason to that...and why I am saying what I am seeing...but JJ always impresses us...he is the best MMA fighter I have seen since UFC started...but I am just trying to go with something that I am seeing imo. ...

It's just crazy how hindsight is 20 20 in this game. Alot of people felt like ganes footwork and striking presented way bigger problems than Frank's punching power.

Man I miss Francis, they really dropped the ball letting this guy leave.

none of that about Gane was ever the case, that was UFC marketing hype to try and justify why Jon was allowed to duck Francis for 3 years and return vs someone else the nanosecond he leaves.

Francis was by FAR the more dangerous fight. Let’s make the assumption that Jon is the better all around fighter than both and would win a 5 round decision most times they fight, but which guy is more likely to decapitate Jon before he can impose his game? Francis all day, that’s why Jon ducked both Francis at HW and Rumble at 205.

The best fighter still has a punchers chance to lose, the biggest punchers have the biggest chance of doing that, hence it’s in the best fighters interest to duck guys who win by one punch KO. it’s very simple and obvious and some of us pointed this out the moment his fight with Gane was announced.

frank is a perfect matchup for jones. the only question for me is jones’s age / reflexes, and from what i see he has enough left to make easy work of francis. people need to watch francis’s fights again—he’s painfully limited, which he compensates for by being amazingly gifted in one area (power). everyone knows this, but apparently they need to be reminded.

and yes i know jon had some close fights, and it’s also fair to say he’s a cheater. but the people he had close fights with were much more skilled than nggano. if francis had skills on that level, i’d be more comfortable picking him to “catch” jones.

Painfully limited ? You must not understand the meaning of the word. Painfully limited means that Francis wouldn’t have been able to out wrestle stipe or gane for that matter. Big Frank has evolved quite a bit and his last two fights showed this.

his reversals on stipe were textbook. And his takedown of gane was great

See..this is exactly why I think Pav is a worse match up than Francis...Pav has 84 inch rech too....I think this....is a bad match up too...if Jones admitted this...I think Pav is a problem...I question it of course because watching Pav on his back vs overeem Pav had no answer...so I started to watch Pav's fights...well...if you go for Pav's knees..forget it...I mean his hip movement and countering his weight is way too strong for JJ imo...but if JJ wins...he will work from hips up...IMO...JJ the best ever MMA fighter imo...but ....Pav is so dangerous for JJ...well...NoW that I think this...JJ can't shoot in...he has to stay long...and close the gap which means Pav can play striker and lean his weight on him and if JJ goes for the clinch...then what? If Pav is physically stronger..JJ will have to strike for with to bring in the clinch, grapple, and submission....

IDK...I just see Pav being too hard for JJ but Gane is not Pav...Pav is a rising star too...I just see Pav pulling it off ...even with the Gane fight...JJ looks one dimensional to me...like I don't think JJ can intimidate Pav with his strikes especially the fact both have the same reach and Pav is more explosive with hands...JJ has to just take Pav down...put him on his back....then JJ wins it easily but...Pav for me is a better version than Francis...I am not saying Pav beats Francis..I am saying Pav is a better overall version imo ...so if JJ fights Pav...its clear to me...that Pav might actually have more tools if JJ can't close the gap...we know..JJ is the best fighter...but...JJ didn't choose Francis....and came in right away to fight Gane...now wants old man Stipe.......I think there is a reason to that...and why I am saying what I am seeing...but JJ always impresses us...he is the best MMA fighter I have seen since UFC started...but I am just trying to go with something that I am seeing imo. ...
Nah

I think Jones would have beaten either of them in pretty much the same way as he beat Gane. The difference, however, is that Ngannou would have had the ability to catch Jon hard and put his lights out on the way in. I don't think he would have, but it seems like a way more likely outcome than Gane managing to keep Jon off him for 5 rounds to win a decision.

Juicehead played his cards right. Big Frank has the power to knock heads off, and better counterwrestling than Gane. Especially after he got humbled by Stipe. He stuffed him and Blaydes pretty good in fights prior to his exodus.
exactly. it's a matchup game.

Gane has better striking than Ngannou but no grappling, so Ngannou had a hard time winning the fight.

Jones beat Gane easily but if he were to fight Ngannou, Ngannou would employ counter wrestling to keep the fight standing, and his wrestling defense was good enough to prevent Miocic and Blaydes from taking him down.

I think the Ngannou that fought Stipe has a 55% chance of beating Jones. His gas tanks the biggest problem.

It's just crazy how hindsight is 20 20 in this game. Alot of people felt like ganes footwork and striking presented way bigger problems than Frank's punching power.
Jones opened on the books as a +130 underdog then ended as a -175 favourite... that means that all the public betting was on Jones for it to shift that heavily.

Peoples wallets did not believe Gane would win, which means nobody actually believed Gane stood a chance.

exactly. it's a matchup game.

Gane has better striking than Ngannou but no grappling, so Ngannou had a hard time winning the fight.

Jones beat Gane easily but if he were to fight Ngannou, Ngannou would employ counter wrestling to keep the fight standing, and his wrestling defense was good enough to prevent Miocic and Blaydes from taking him down.

I think the Ngannou that fought Stipe has a 55% chance of beating Jones. His gas tanks the biggest problem.
Ngannou really isn't the juggernaut on the feet people think he is. Even Stipe was piecing him up with basic side to side / head movement in their first fight.

He has power but so did everyone Jon fought. DC, Rampage, Rashad. There's a long list.

But you have to actually hit him. Very few fighters actually do.

Jon is a master of using his kicks and length to control distance. Which makes him very hard to hit with just boxing.

Even Frank had issues when Gane was attacking with multiple weapons to the point where he had to wrestle. Boxing on its own can be limited when fighting a diverse style.

Assuming he hasn't lost his step, even on the feet Jones presented problems to Ngannou.

He also gets tired, especially in grappling heavy fights. Which means he would have maybe 2 rounds to finish it, before Jones dragged him into deep waters.

Out of style matchups, Jones is probably the worst out of anyone for Ngannou. The only asterisk is Jon's age.

Member when Fedor came out of retirement and won the UFC title? Oh wait, he fought Jaideep Singh instead

Of course the truth made you very upset, little one. Picto ducked everyone and everything. He admits it, so can you.

Remember when you weren't a complete fucking can who pretended you're tougher than you are? Me neither.

{<jordan}

Looking forward to the next time your dumb ass crawls out of its hole.

Maybe he should have been more grateful for what the Ufc gave him. Went from the streets to a millionaire. He forgot what he came from. Made him soft.
Man I miss Francis, they really dropped the ball letting this guy leave.

Ngannu was waiting two years for jones, now ngamnu is gone jones talks crap.

Is it a coincidence he sat out for 3 years and then only made his HW debut after Francis left the UFC?

I get that he was bulking up for HW and all but it sure does look like he was trying his best to avoid fighting Ngannou.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back