Rewatch Jon Jones vs Dominick Reyes

I took the time to watch this one again paying very close attention. It's the second time I rewatched this fight since watching it live. First watch live I thought Reyes won. The time I think Reyes took the first 3 rounds and Jon the last 2. I thought it was pretty clear, Reyes was far more active and landed more every round (1-3). I can't understand how the judges gave Jon some of those rounds.
MMA striking is not Olympic boxing. The goal is not to land as many strikes as possible, but to do as much damage as possible to make progress towards a finish. Watch the replay between rounds 1 and 2. None of the Reyes highlight strikes did any damage; they were a combination of slaps, grazes, near misses, and a soft counter that caught Jones off balance and had no follow-up. Reyes had exactly one damaging strike during the round, a left leg body shot that landed hard just below Jones' guard. Jones had 3 or 4 similarly damaging strikes in the round. Reyes was mostly gassing himself with high volume. Same goes for round 2. Reyes did much better in round 3, doing some real damage and clearly taking the round.

As for the last two rounds, Reyes had a good flurry at the start of round 4, then, for the rest of the fight, he was gassed and fighting in survival mode, just trying not to get finished. Reyes didn't really contest round 4 or 5 at all.

Reyes rope-a-doped himself in rounds 1 and 2, took round 3, and survived rounds 4 and 5 with 9 minutes and 30 seconds of no offense to finish the fight.

I used to think that was a close fight, but my MMA knowledge has gotten much better over the years and, looking back at it now, this was not close. 49-46 Jones.

I don’t get ppl that acts like it was a robbery. After rewatch I thought it was pretty clearly Jones W.

1 was very close, slightly lean towards Reyes but could of went either way

2 was also close, but I felt Jones won

3 was the only round I felt confident for Reyes

4/5 were easily Jones

None of the Reyes highlight strikes did any damage; they were a combination of slaps, grazes, near misses, and a soft counter that caught Jones off balance and had no follow-up.
The commentary in this fight was terrible. Reyes was whiffing his shots right and left. Not even grazing Jones but literally just swinging at air. During the match the commentators were going crazy talking about how Jones was getting pieced up on the feet. Then dead silent during the slow motion replays which showed that Reyes had effectively done nothing and some of those shots were not even close to even touching Jones.
I used to think that was a close fight, but my MMA knowledge has gotten much better over the years and, looking back at it now, this was not close. 49-46 Jones.
Same. Jones is one of those fighters where if he can point fight he will do just that and not take any risks.

I'd like to challenge everyone thinking Reyes won, to watch the fight again with the following in mind...

Everyone forgets that they were under a different judging system.

Not sure if Texas has come around yet to the unified roolz, but for sure during this fight, they were under TEXAS COMMISSION ROOLZ & JUDGING.

Under this rool set, you get high judging credit for controlling the center of the octogon.

I drew this in MS Paint in honor of this monumental flubber.

v1BigON.png

It was a very close fight and by far Jones closest fight. They should have done an immediate rematch to settle it.

Total strikes landed was
Reyes 119
Jones 104

However Jones got 2 takedowns, and Reyes zero. So depends what you value and like more.

I think the thing that really hurt Reyes was he blew his wad once round 3 was finished, after that he was staring way too much, it just looked bad visually for the judges I think. If Reyes had more 5 round experience then he may have won, but he has no 5 round experience before that fight

John might have gone on to win the “fight” as he finished stronger but Reyes definitely won the mma contest under the unified ruleset
Had it been contested under the "Unified Rools" I agree that Reyes won. However they were under Texas Commission Rools. See my previous post #27

I'd like to challenge everyone thinking Reyes won, to watch the fight again with the following in mind...

Everyone forgets that they were under a different judging system.

Not sure if Texas has come around yet to the unified roolz, but for sure during this fight, they were under TEXAS COMMISSION ROOLZ & JUDGING.

Under this rool set, you get high judging credit for controlling the center of the octogon.

I drew this in MS Paint in honor of this monumental flubber.

v1BigON.png
Already knew and already did that. They also get way more points for aggression primarily over octagon center, and Reyes was the more active, aggressive fighter.

*Edit* I find it weird how much the narrative has spun around trying to convince everyone Jones could have won this fight. At the time right after, everyone said the certain Reyes round was 1, but couldn't agree if it was round 2 or 3 that Jones had to steal, but the majority landed on 3 being the Jones round

Now? No, it couldn't be 3. 3 was actually Reyes' best round. But 1's suddenly not looking so hot for Dom anymore.
So you get terrible takes like this one from perfectly unbiased user "JBJ was here"

Last edited:
Reyes won the first 3 rounds, and Jon needed two 10-8 rounds to win and didn't even get one in the last 2 rounds.

Reyes won, but who gives a fuck that is behind us now.
Being robbed in these title fights really does take a piece of these fighters souls! Reyes, Condit, Hendricks. These guys were never the same after suffering such grave injustices.

This decision took Dominick's soul
Partially, maybe, but Reyes is one of those fighters who was/is very good on paper and against certain opponents (like Jones), but has a glaring weakness (chin) that would always limit his potential. It's a shame, but when you fight in the bigger weight classes, a bad chin or poor reaction to getting stunned is a major Achilles Heel. It's too bad because Reyes has good technical striking, good TDD and the height/build that's been very successful at LHW (see Jones, Gustaffson, Jiri and other guys of the same height). A miniature version of Reyes at BW or FW might win a belt.

Yeah.

Who you got next month? Adesanya or Romero? Should be a banger of a fight.
Little Nog vs. Guy Mezger. That one was so close they may need to have a rematch. Or put them in a one-night tournament with Chuck Liddell and Wand.

It was a very close fight and by far Jones closest fight. They should have done an immediate rematch to settle it.

Total strikes landed was
Reyes 119
Jones 104

However Jones got 2 takedowns, and Reyes zero. So depends what you value and like more.

I think the thing that really hurt Reyes was he blew his wad once round 3 was finished, after that he was staring way too much, it just looked bad visually for the judges I think. If Reyes had more 5 round experience then he may have won, but he has no 5 round experience before that fight

Jones did nothing with those takedowns and don’t the rounds get scored at the end of each round? They wouldn’t go and retroactively give the other guy a round because one guy is tired later on. Its up to Jon to capitalise on that tiredness and get a finish because he’s down on points.

The justifications in the perpetual Reyes v jones decision threads always leave a sour taste man

Just let me forget about this bs

Total strikes landed was
Reyes 119
Jones 104

You can't judge fights by totals, fights aren't judged as a whole and there were no takedowns in rounds 1-3 so getting takedowns in round 4 or 5 doesn't win you previous rounds.

Jones did nothing with those takedowns and don’t the rounds get scored at the end of each round? They wouldn’t go and retroactively give the other guy a round because one guy is tired later on. Its up to Jon to capitalise on that tiredness and get a finish because he’s down on points.

The justifications in the perpetual Reyes v jones decision threads always leave a sour taste man

Just let me forget about this bs
Yeah best to forget about it Marko, this fight was so long ago now.. what I think they should have done is an immediate rematch, thats where the issue is, it was so close and controversial, many people thought Reyes won, many people thought Jones won and many people thought it was a Draw. There should have been a rematch straight away

I personally honestly thought the fight was very close and I was unsure, I thought it could be a draw. Reyes won rounds 1 and 3 for certain, and Jones won rounds 4 and 5 for certain... the 2nd round was too close though, I think Reyes threw more strikes in that round but a lot of them didn't land. But Jones didn't land lots either in that round.

The thing with judging is its so subjective, and also when you rewatch fights again years later there is stuff you missed and then your score changes. That happened with me with the Edgar vs Maynard fight... when I watched it live I had it clearly for Maynard, but judges gave a draw.... then when I watched it years later there was sooooooo many punches Edgar landed that I never really saw the first time

Back