Rewatch Jon Jones vs Dominick Reyes

Defence doesn't score in MMA. Blocking and slipping shots would be worth mentioning if Reyes hadn't still outstruck him. The end result is Reyes was more offensive, landed more and his striking was impacting Jones who had to continually defend.
Agreed. But the point was that some people here were claiming that Reyes was nearly finishing Jones multiple times in the fight. I don't remember one second of that fight where I felt that either fighter was close to being finished at all. It was mostly point fighting, volume, and octagon control from both of them.

Ortega literally had Volk's face turning purple and red in two chokes. That was close to a finish. Volk ended up using ground and pound on Ortega so badly that he had to be helped to his stool which should have been an actual finish. Both of them nearly finished each other inside of the same round. I don't remember one moment from Jones versus Reyes like that.

Close fight, but I really see Jones winning that one. Reyes fought like a ***** in the 5th round. You can't defeat the champion like that.

3,4,5 jones....it wasnt pretty but he did enough..

Reyes hit the wall exactly halfway through the 3 round and Jones did the rest.

Reyes is phenomenal for the first two rounds though better then anyone against Jones really but it took everything out of him and the old Lion came thru in the end

I took the time to watch this one again paying very close attention. It's the second time I rewatched this fight since watching it live. First watch live I thought Reyes won. The time I think Reyes took the first 3 rounds and Jon the last 2. I thought it was pretty clear, Reyes was far more active and landed more every round (1-3). I can't understand how the judges gave Jon some of those rounds. I really think the judges were off on this fight, two judges gave Jon round 2 which was IMO Reyes best round. He threw 30 more strikes and landed far more.
There was a 49-46 scorecard for Jones

The judges couldn't be more clueless

Reyes easily took the first 3 rounds

I took a look at that judge's history once. He ONLY judges in Texas, which is notorious for a terrible commission and bad decisions, and he has had scores that go against popular opinion over 60% of the time, including one on the same event that even the least skeptical of critics would assume it's based somewhat in corruption. And I never throw that word around lightly.

How you gonna be a BJJ black belt and score a round with like 3+ minutes of back control and RNC hunting as a loss? And how are you gonna be a BJJ black belt certified with 20+ years under the head coach of the guy who was getting his back ridden, putting you in the same gym with the fighter, and not bring up the conflict of interest?

Is Reyes retired? Was kind of crazy he got a title shot from being Weidman's 5th KO loss in 6 fights and a split decision with Volkan Oezdemir, then basically beat Jones, and got flatlined in every fight after that.

Is Reyes retired? Was kind of crazy he got a title shot from being Weidman's 5th KO loss in 6 fights and a split decision with Volkan Oezdemir, then basically beat Jones, and got flatlined in every fight after that.
It was weird. The Weidman matchup was highly criticized from the get, iirc. No reason that should have been put together.

Reyes isn't retired, he's booked to fight Jacoby in early June

Right after the fight, people on Sherdog were very divided about if Jones had won round 2 or round 3. Even the 48-47 judges had scores of Jones 2-4-5 and Jones 3-4-5.

Given that both rounds 2 and 3 were close enough to consider giving to Jones, it really isn't all that outlandish for one judge to award him both.

Here's the thing - people say Reyes outstruck Jones, and point to the striking metrics as proof of that. But if sheer volume was all that mattered, we wouldn't need judges; we'd just check the stats and decided the victor based on that.

To me, Jones had more EFFECTIVE striking. He didn't land the most strikes, true. But many of Reyes's strikes that "landed" were blocked or parried, and even the gifs of the fight that people like to post here show Reyes whipping out 7-10 punch combos and landing maybe 1 or 2 of those punches. Jones didn't land as much, but what he did land was more significant. And while I'm glad I'm not a judge and wouldn't want to be forced to pick a winner of round 2 or round 3, they were both close enough that I don't consider it a robbery to award either one to Jones.

Right after the fight, people on Sherdog were very divided about if Jones had won round 2 or round 3. Even the 48-47 judges had scores of Jones 2-4-5 and Jones 3-4-5.

Given that both rounds 2 and 3 were close enough to consider giving to Jones, it really isn't all that outlandish for one judge to award him both.
That is a point I tried to make to people who don't understand that the score isn't the prime measure of the "closeness" of the fight, and that you can't say that one judge giving Jon round 2 is fine and one judge giving Jon round 3 is fine, but the judge who did both is wrong. You either need to think at least 2 judges are wrong or none are.

That's why I maintain that they're all wrong. You have 2 shit scores and a shittier score. It was a terrible job all-round

I tend to judge close fights by thinking of which man would eventually kill the other if there was no time limit.

And Jones would've killed Reyes.

Can't win running in the 5th.

I tend to judge close fights by thinking of which man would eventually kill the other if there was no time limit.

And Jones would've killed Reyes.

Can't win running in the 5th.
I tend to count on my fingers since I have 5 of them, which is convenient since that's the amount of rounds judges score by, and Dom had more fingers.

Jon didn't win the first 3 rounds, during which, he had literally turned and sprinted away a few times, it's funny to talk about who ran

I tend to count on my fingers since I have 5 of them, which is convenient since that's the amount of rounds judges score by, and Dom had more fingers.

Jon didn't win the first 3 rounds, during which, he had literally turned and sprinted away a few times, it's funny to talk about who ran

I guess we judge fights differently.

Reyes looked scared and finished in that 5th. He was laying and praying, only doing it on his feet.

Desperate for that round to end.

Bad bad look.

I remember watching this live and waiting for them to call it a draw. Neither guy did enough to win.

On original watch I had it Reyes 3-2. Looking now at the scorecard one judge gave Jon rd 2, another gave Jon rd 3, and the last judge gave Jon both 2 and 3. Don't really want to rewatch this fight but I might find time for it later.

Reyes 1,2,3. And quite a small guy Reyes. Imagine what Poatan does to JJ.

9bp72f4rrqk91.jpg

MMA striking is not Olympic boxing. The goal is not to land as many strikes as possible, but to do as much damage as possible to make progress towards a finish. Watch the replay between rounds 1 and 2. None of the Reyes highlight strikes did any damage; they were a combination of slaps, grazes, near misses, and a soft counter that caught Jones off balance and had no follow-up. Reyes had exactly one damaging strike during the round, a left leg body shot that landed hard just below Jones' guard. Jones had 3 or 4 similarly damaging strikes in the round. Reyes was mostly gassing himself with high volume. Same goes for round 2. Reyes did much better in round 3, doing some real damage and clearly taking the round.

As for the last two rounds, Reyes had a good flurry at the start of round 4, then, for the rest of the fight, he was gassed and fighting in survival mode, just trying not to get finished. Reyes didn't really contest round 4 or 5 at all.

Reyes rope-a-doped himself in rounds 1 and 2, took round 3, and survived rounds 4 and 5 with 9 minutes and 30 seconds of no offense to finish the fight.

I used to think that was a close fight, but my MMA knowledge has gotten much better over the years and, looking back at it now, this was not close. 49-46 Jones.
Damn I didnt know Sal D'Amato was on Sherdog

You've either gotta be braindead or just straight up not know what you're looking at to give rounds 1-3 to anyone but Reyes

I'd hear an argument for round 3 being a 10-10 because Jones pressed forward more, but if you press forward while getting out struck, you're still getting out struck

Back