Jonatas Novaes - The Flat Half Guard *DVD

Yeah, saw this on the wma website. Was interested in it, but I currently don't have the money for it now. Can you leave a review for it once you receive?

I'll definitely pick this up for 50% off.

Looks good, excited to hear some reviews on it. If it is good, may have to pick it up

There seems to be considerable overlap with Cyborg's original gi DVD. Looks good, though.

nothing you cant see in other instructionals

people just keep repacking guards and positions as something brand new

I'll stick to this thanks

792994079.gif

and this

792994470.gif

Basic Gordo sweep wont leave you flat

uh what?
the name makes it sound like something new but the moves are old.

DVD Review Guy, were you able to watch the DVD? If so how was it?

My goal is to review the dvd this week .

When the dvd first arrived I watch the first several techniques on disc one. To my disappointment there's nothing I haven't seen before.

To be fair, let me get through the rest of the disc, along with disc two and three.

WTF happened? I did a pretty detailed review, it got lost?

I'll surmise, Don't waste your money.

Disc 2 - Has some offensive, sweeps from a z guard position. Nothing that can't ne found on youtube, or other sets.

Disc 3 - An entire disc relegated to the reverse half guard (the jedi eye mind trick can negate all these options). Again, nothing new, most techniques can be found on youtue and Caio Terra's set.

*For the money you can get five months of MGinAction. Marcelo is the king of the inverted / reverse half guard. Back step, back step, and more back stepping! Paul teaches a great version of the Jedi eye mind trick.

*Caio's set is better and cheaper!

*Ryan Hall's deep half guard set is worth the cost for just his disc number 3. Which, might be the single best dvd disc ever! The hip shovel, jedi eye mind trick, and several other techniques have change my half guard 150%! The hip shovel works on everyone, any weight, any belt level!

Paul also teaches the hip shovel on mginaction. Great technique that helped my half guard game a lot.

What are these mysterious techniques?

Hip shovel? Jedi eye mind trick? Explanation please.

I am a half guard player, and I have Caio's set, Glover's deep half, and Lost Techniques. Never heard of these movements, I am dying to know now.

EDIT: found the hip shovel. That's how I learned the roll back sweep, so I am dissapointed. But what about this jedi mind trick?

What are these mysterious techniques?

Hip shovel? Jedi eye mind trick? Explanation please.

I am a half guard player, and I have Caio's set, Glover's deep half, and Lost Techniques. Never heard of these movements, I am dying to know now.

EDIT: found the hip shovel. That's how I learned the roll back sweep, so I am dissapointed. But what about this jedi mind trick?

Jedi mind trick is a counter to the back step counter guys do when you've gained control with an underhook from the bottom.

You switch hooks and move your body underneath them as they backstep and you end up in a leg drag type passing position.

WTF happened? I did a pretty detailed review, it got lost?

I'll surmise, Don't waste your money.

Disc 2 - Has some offensive, sweeps from a z guard position. Nothing that can't ne found on youtube, or other sets.

Disc 3 - An entire disc relegated to the reverse half guard (the jedi eye mind trick can negate all these options). Again, nothing new, most techniques can be found on youtue and Caio Terra's set.

*For the money you can get five months of MGinAction. Marcelo is the king of the inverted / reverse half guard. Back step, back step, and more back stepping! Paul teaches a great version of the Jedi eye mind trick.

*Caio's set is better and cheaper!

*Ryan Hall's deep half guard set is worth the cost for just his disc number 3. Which, might be the single best dvd disc ever! The hip shovel, jedi eye mind trick, and several other techniques have change my half guard 150%! The hip shovel works on everyone, any weight, any belt level!
Thank you for the reivew DVD review guy.
I often get stuck flat in half guard, do you think DVD 1 will help since it is based on flat half guard?

Jedi mind trick is a counter to the back step counter guys do when you've gained control with an underhook from the bottom.

You switch hooks and move your body underneath them as they backstep and you end up in a leg drag type passing position.

ah thanks. I found it. Pretty nifty. Looks like something I will screw up, but im gonna try it anyway

Last edited:
cuccigucci - For the price, there's better options. If you play the flat half guard, or are forced flat, the hip shovel will solve all your problems! Ryan's set is a little more costly, but well worth it! I think World Martial Arts has a 40% discount still?

**His disc 3 in his DHG set is GOAL!

Or, subscribe to MGinAction for a couple of months. You'll get everything you need to know about the half guard, then some! Not just instructional, but "in action" the techniques taught in a live match. Discussions, drills, etc.

Back