Jones fight IQ is insane

Would like this twice if I could

When he was in strikeforce people called him the dark emperor and emelianegro because like fedor he would win via moving in fast forward compared to big lumbering opponents. Darting in and out with huge hay makers and transitioning to takedowns before they could react

At lhw, he didnt have the same speed advantage and against most top opponents had to resort to a clinch heavy, grinding style where he wins off tenacious wrestling

He doesnt do much shit like this at lhw
cormier-slam-barnett.gif
Yeah, other than Henderson who was far past his prime when DC fought him I can't remember anything close with any of the top guys. DC could impose his will at HW. It's just a world of difference between the two divisions when it comes to speed

I still remember watching that tournament live. I thought Barnet was going to whoop him tbh lol. I give DC credit but yeah, HW is just a way better fit for him due to match ups.

Great thread. I can't even fathom the biggest of Jones' haters could deny this with a straight face. He's simply masterful. His team are amazing and so is he. When it comes to fight IQ he's genius level. The amount of mental clarity and focus to just be able to compete decently after everything he went through is something, but this is next level. Love him or hate him people need to enjoy this man's performances while we have him around. The man was made for MMA.

Haha. While i do think Jones is a smart fighter...
... people overrate fight IQ.

Jones has mega reach advantage and has the best clinch/ wrestling.

It is easy to look smart when its you who can dictate where the fight goes.

What IQ could Gus use to overcome Jones' reach and clinch/takedowns when they get close?
You put it in a way like Gus is T-Rex...

What? The guy who got dq’d for using an illegal strike that everybody knows about, the rule that gets talked about all the time, the rule even the dumbest of fighters should know about, yet he went ahead and did it anyway.

Back