Jose Aldo is so slept on and disrespected

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
There was a time in MMA history where people honestly weren't sure who was better, Jose Aldo or Jon Jones.

In 2011 Jon Jones captured the UFC LHW championship belt, becoming the youngest Zuffa era fighter to hold gold at 23.

Two years earlier Jose Aldo destroyed Micheal Thomas Brown to become the youngest ever Zuffa champion (WEC) at 23.

Aldo went on a 9 fight win streak from there, beating the likes Frankie Edgar, Chad Mendes x2, Kenny Florian and Uriah Faber. And with the exception of the second Mendes fight, none of then were particularly close. Aldos takedown defense was the stuff of legends, and long with his hands, knees and jabs - his only weakness at the time was the tendency to lead with his rear hand wildly and his poor gas tank. He was talked about in the same sentences as Jones, GSP, Fedor and Anderson - the four guys everyone with a brain acknowledge as being objectively better than everyone else.

Then came Conor, who tortured him with world play for what seemed like a full year world tour, and then stopped him in thirteen seconds. What came after were a myriad of lower body injuries the mysterious abduction of his low kicks, some more reported than others then two curb stompings by Max Holloway. But none of that takes away from the fact that the peak of Aldo's career was nearly as high as anyones in the sports history

People legitimately pick Renato and Stephen's over him in recent fights before he showed that even one foot out the door hes still easily a top 5 type FW fighter.

He recently posted that he wants to fight out his current contract and retire. Dude will retire a legend, and one of the 15 best MMA fighters to place them up and inarguably one of the two or three best FWs ever.

Last edited:
He is still very good. He beats everyone at fw except for Max imo. The problem is the Conor KO was just so over the top it did bump him out of the GOAT talk.

Agree completely. I have him number 5 GOAT after the 4 big ones: Fedor, Jones, Anderson and GSP.

Only by trolls. I'm seeing Jose get lots of love.

In b4 13 seconds though.

He is still very good. He beats everyone at fw except for Max imo. The problem is the Conor KO was just so over the top it did bump him out of the GOAT talk.
Under different circumstances it wouldnt have hurt him as badly. Getting merked in your prime is bad, but it happened to GSP. He just never really had a chance to redeem himself and then Max Holloway who might turn out to have an even greater career showed up and was like hold my beer

Agree completely. I have him number 5 GOAT after the 4 big ones: Fedor, Jones, Anderson and GSP.
I have him a little further back, but for sure easily in my top ten

I'm a huge fan of Aldo and always will be.

Seeing him storm through Stephens and Moicano was beautiful.

Under different circumstances it wouldnt have hurt him as badly. Getting merked in your prime is bad, but it happened to GSP. He just never really had a chance to redeem himself and then Max Holloway who might turn out to have an even greater career showed up and was like hold my beer
Ya, but I don’t think Max will stay at fw. He will vacate his belt and Jose is my favorite to get it back. He has enough recent wins to be in the title match to get it.

I dunno I think he's pretty well respected. Anyone who doesn't respect the career and skills of Jose Aldo can fuck off anyway.

conor broke his legacy with the casuals.. Still much respect from the rest of us

Isn't he going to boxing next? He's amazing at what he does and I feel like he can win the belt again if Max stays at 155. Max and Conor were bad matchups for Aldo, pure strikers with excellent hands, movement and timing.

I dunno I think he's pretty well respected. Anyone who doesn't respect the career and skills of Jose Aldo can fuck off anyway.
His career seems to be used mainly as a discussion piece by Conor haters or fans - and he gets left out of a lot of discussions he should be included in.

Just saying, there was a point in time where he had a claim to be the p4p best. That's a rare feat.

Cheaters like Jones don't make GOAT candidate lists, pal.

Nobody takes Ali out of the GOAT talks because he lost a few fights.

His career seems to be used mainly as a discussion piece by Conor haters or fans - and he gets left out of a lot of discussions he should be included in.

Just saying, there was a point in time where he had a claim to be the p4p best. That's a rare feat.

Yeah it was really unfortunate that he got clipped by Conor, and then ran into Max right after (Max being an absolute FW monster and GOAT candidate himself). Really overshadowed his career.

There was a time in MMA history where people honestly weren't sure who was better, Jose Aldo or Jon Jones.

In 2011 Jon Jones captured the UFC LHW championship belt, becoming the youngest Zuffa era fighter to hold gold at 23.

Two years earlier Jose Aldo destroyed Micheal Thomas Brown to become the youngest ever Zuffa champion (WEC) at 23.

Aldo went on a 9 fight win streak from there, beating the likes Frankie Edgar, Chad Mendes x2, Kenny Florian and Uriah Faber. And with the exception of the second Mendes fight, none of then were particularly close. Aldos takedown defense was the stuff of legends, and long with his hands, knees and jabs - his only weakness at the time was the tendency to lead with his rear hand wildly and his poor gas tank. He was talked about in the same sentences as Jones, GSP, Fedor and Anderson - the four guys everyone with a brain acknowledge as being objectively better than everyone else.

Then came Conor, who tortured him with world play for what seemed like a full year world tour, and then stopped him in thirteen seconds. What came after were a myriad of lower body injuries the mysterious abduction of his low kicks, some more reported than others then two curb stompings by Max Holloway. But none of that takes away from the fact that the peak of Aldo's career was nearly as high as anyones in the sports history

People legitimately pick Renato and Stephen's over him in recent fights before he showed that even one foot out the door hes still easily a top 5 type FW fighter.

He recently posted that he wants to fight out his current contract and retire. Dude will retire a legend, and one of the 15 best MMA fighters to place them up and inarguably one of the two or three best FWs ever.

Only guy to TKO Moicano and the 2nd to tko Stephens, and out of his prime. Still my boy.

Connor studied several videos of Aldo’s fights and saw Aldo has a habit of rushing in to bang with opponents. That was Aldo’s major mistake against Connor.

Thread isnt about Jon Jones.

Though, more relevant- has Aldo ever even been in any trouble as a fighter?

Some shady behaviour regarding piss tests and visas but nothing too extreme. Had some juicy shoulders in his prime. Nothing beyond what everyone else is doing.

Jose Aldo is better than Jon Jones.

his skill level is way higher, he just happens to fight in a division that's full of animals, while Jon is fighting in a division full of old men that he enjoys having a reach advantage on.

Back