Jumping guard should be illegal!!!

I love my team but there are a few guys in our gym who love jumping guard in practice and don't know how to do it right. There's been 2 or 3 times when they've jumped guard incorrectly and I felt like my knee was very close to being hyperextended.

I love my team but there are a few guys in our gym who love jumping guard in practice and don't know how to do it right. There's been 2 or 3 times when they've jumped guard incorrectly and I felt like my knee was very close to being hyperextended.

To me, this is a WAY bigger danger. I have seen knees get destroyed by guard jumps. Its the reason why I (200+ lbs) rarely, if ever do it. If you catch the guy off balance bad things can happen.

If you jump and hurt yourself by hitting your head or whatever, that is on you. But blowing the other guy's knee is way more of an unacceptable risk.

I think that jumping guard should be legal, but should require that the puller maintain two grips throughout the descent at the youth and white belt level.

Yeah I know it sucks, I've seen people get hurt from it and I've hyper extended my knee twice because guys jumped low instead of at my hips. Heres a video, sorry, I don't have the beginning.

The issue is that your attempt at a guard pull was awful in every single way. Whether you have truly resolved that issue or not, you should not be injuring yourself off of a guard pull like that if you do it correctly.

Agreed, it was a pretty badly failed attempt at a guard jump. Lost my grips, didn't commit enough, and paid the price. Lesson learned.

Nowadays, when I pull guard (not jump), I get solid grips, sit back, and post my leg on the same-side of opponent's hip that I have a sleeve or elbow control (for example in this match at 1:16, or this match at 0:24.

I don't like putting my safety in the hands of my opponent by jumping onto their body, or risk injuring myself if I lose my grips. Pulling your opponent into your guard is safer and more controlled. If you lose your grips, worst case scenario you might get your guard passed (as opposed to slamming your back and neck).

Yeah I know it sucks, I've seen people get hurt from it and I've hyper extended my knee twice because guys jumped low instead of at my hips. Heres a video, sorry, I don't have the beginning.

Yikes.

Jumping guard is the epitome of dumb - the technique has negative real world applicability. Do that in a real fight and you're getting your head bounced on concrete.

Even as a "sport-only" technique (which shouldn't its dumb. You're really on your opponent not to slam you - whether on purpose or by accident. It has the potential to be very dangerous. Plus, putting the responsibility for not slamming on your opponent is ridiculous - don't put yourself in a position to be slammed in the first place.

That said I wouldn't ban it outright. Always award the points for a takedown to the guy being jumped on. BJJ points are meant to be awarded for their street appicability, right? Well, this is literally suicide in a street fight, so awarding 2 points is nothing. We should then hopefully see guard-jumping die out semi-organically.

I think the only way to proceed intelligently here is to allow slams to be legal if done in response to guard jumping.

IE, you cannot pick the guy off the mat to slam him, but if you're upright and he jumps on you, you can slam away freely and legally.

I think the only way to proceed intelligently here is to allow slams to be legal if done in response to guard jumping.

IE, you cannot pick the guy off the mat to slam him, but if you're upright and he jumps on you, you can slam away freely and legally.

I agree with you but I don't think that would address the injury aspect of the dilema. The OP expressed concern primarily for inexperienced competitors, and this would transfer injury potential rather than minimize it.

At the intermediate graplling level and above, guard pulling vs slamming potential should definitely be a tactical consideration but would still be negligible in it's impact on experienced guard players because they have safer and more effective ways to drag you into their space.

i butt scoot only if im going agaisnt crazy ass college wrestlers who i no will take me down at will :/ but agaisnt judo or other bjj ill stand up. Need work on my wrestling ;D

It's a dickhead move full stop, I had my knee fucked by someone jumping guard, I went for an o ouchi just before he jump and he came down on my leg. Learn to take people down.

Are you guys crazy? Slams should not be legal in grappling competitions. That's the point! They aren't legal in almost any other sport - not judo, not wrestling.... only MMA and in ADCC (when going for a submission) are they tolerated. I like to fight, but not everyone grapples for MMA. Slamming from guard is too risky for children and even adults.

Man, if I only did safe sh!te I would have died of boredom years ago.

A'ight. I'm a guard jumper.
IDGAF. At this level (whitebelt), it works for me. AYHSMB.

Don't want me to jump guard on you like a monkey jumping on to a tree well, then, do something to stop me. Stop making threads to bitch about the legal shit people do in comps when you could be training to prevent or counter aforementioned legal technique.

Whaaaa! I always get armbar'd. That should be illegal at the white belt level because I could have broken my arm!
Ugh, just fucking train more and bitch less.
Jesus.

Where do you train?

Judo guy here:

When it comes to youth comps, many tournements ban drop seoinagis to protect the impact on kiddies knees.

Do the same for kids divisions in BJJ, when it comes to jumping/flying attacks. Plus it forces the kids to learn fundamentals which will only help your beautiful art in the long run.

As for who's responsibility it is to protect the guard jumper; don't need to legalize slams, just make so that if you make a jumping/flying technique, you are responsible for your own landing: aka leap at your own risk.

I recall jumping guard in practise instantly going for a sweep and basically reverse head butting the matt, HARD.
I have since made sure I pull guard if I try it.

What infuriates me about jumping guard is the top guy is made responsible for the jumpers safety. I've seen guys lose balance and fall, slamming the guy and getting dqed

Further it also puts the standing person at a disadvantage as they need to be careful when going to ground. Unrealistic I feel.

How about points?

That way no actual slams, but credit is given if you could slam them??

I think they should get the points for picks ups too, don't see how we got to a position as a major thing, the key is that you are there now.

How about points?

That way no actual slams, but credit is given if you could slam them??

I think they should get the points for picks ups too, don't see how we got to a position as a major thing, the key is that you are there now.

I agree with you.

However, it would never happen as guard is supposed to be considered a neutral position.

stop trying to ban moves

??? Since when have I been known to want moves banned? Heck, I think knee reaps should be legal for black belts. However, as a ref I've seen many people out here get hurt with that move, especially kids and white belts. The move requires your opponent to support your weight - i.e. you aren't protecting yourself. Shouldn't that indicate it should be restricted or banned?

Back