Just bought a bag of level 1 nails from Iron Mind

Agree - I guess "manual laborer" comes down to semantics because anyone can replicate "manual laborer" strength by "training" like one. But one of the best ways to gauge others' grip strength is by grappling against them, particularly in a gi and I've done that with a lot of different folks over the years. Guys with backgrounds in certain blue collar trades almost always have crushing grip strength - more than conventional gym bros. We had a 300 lbs competitive powerlifter who was crazy strong on the big lifts but his applied grip strength felt a lot weaker than former tradesmen who weighed less. Also longtime judoka.

I'm curious but I feel like repetitive "grease the groove" activity throughout the day may be the best way to train grip (which is what you do in trades). It's like folks who want big calves but anecdotally, I think the most effective way to develop them (if you weren't born with them) is by being fat - you're walking around constantly carrying a lot of weight and your calves have to adapt.
Oh no doubt, I've had the same experience. For whatever reason, people who did drywalling especially seemed like they always had insane functional strength, sometimes when they looked like absolutely nothing. I just have to believe there's a light at the end of the grip tunnel because for one thing, some of the stuff, like heavy wrist rollers, just hurts too much not to convince myself that its worth it. And its kind of hard to psyche myself up to do any of it with keeping faith in that pot of gold.

I guess there's that balance between the sort of romanticized element of working out and the realism. You don't want to give yourself unrealistic goals and then get discouraged, but you also want to have a degree of faith in your ability to get to where you want to go. I guess the balance would be to be happy with the journey and with progress, but also hopeful that it could one day lead to wherever it is you want it to.

I do think you're 100% right; I think greasing the groove is the key. Like you said, basically the same thing as with calves. I guess maybe because your hands and your calves were both designed for constant use, so giving it work that's sufficient to signal that it has to adapt or change is going to have a higher bar? That honestly does feel right to me. The only thing I can really think of is having something in your hands, a gripper that isn't too high resistance to do a bunch of reps with, something to squeeze, something in your hands constantly. You think those kung fu rice workouts would do anything, if you did them constantly and devoted enough time to them?

The thought of having a strong grip, it would just be so cool. I don't know, clearly it is not an easy thing to do. Calves are a great comparison, because with both, I've had lots of stops and starts where I pursued them, didn't get to where I wanted to and basically restarted later.

I wonder why that is though. Don't people say gi grappling is all about grip strength? Does CoC just not carry over to gi gripping specifically? I mean your hand is mostly closed for both activities, so it seems like it would?

I've honestly not noticed much carry over from the CoC to grappling. It's just a different type of grip strength used.

Back