Just got back from a week and a half in Thailand. Tried some new gyms.

gotobread

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been to Thailand... 13 times (somewhere around there) since 2006. I've been to a lot of different camps in Bangkok as well as Phuket. I just returned from a trip (landed the day the King died, unfortunately) and I just wanted to give some quick thoughts on some of the camps I visited this time around.

Bangkok:

Fight Club 61: Unsurprisingly located on soi 61. Gym is drop-in only, unless you've booked a private lesson. I believe there are only three trainers, one of which used to work with Buakaw. Two of them had called out on the day I showed up. The gym is far down soi 61, but if you get in touch with them in advance (they're very responsive to Facebook messages), they'll pick you up at the end of the soi and save you the walk. It's a small gym with one ring, and a good variety of bags (one of each, pretty much). Training is pretty laid back, which may immediately turn some people off. I was out of shape this trip, so I didn't mind at all. I actually enjoyed the training here. As far as actual feedback goes, I received more feedback during my pad and even bag work than I did anywhere else. What's going to put some people off are the laid back vibe as well as the fact that, if you're the only one there, there's naturally no one for you to spar with. There's an Aussie woman who either runs the gym or co-owns it or whatever and she was super nice. At the end of the session, she took me back to the end of the soi in a golf cart. It was the most affordable gym of the trip, as well: only 300 baht for what was essentially one-on-one training.

Yokkao: I was staying on Suk 15, so this was a 10-15 minute walk or so. The gym is located just off of 16. It's not difficult to find if you know where to look. It's on the soi just across from Gardengrove Hotel. Yokkao also does drop-ins, but I believe you need to book your time in advance so that they can make sure they have enough trainers to go around. I decided to skip the drop-in and book an hour with Singdam, which was 3,000 THB. We started with line drills, did pad work, some drilling with shin pads on, and then I got to spar with Singdam for a round. Honestly, he didn't teach me anything that another trainer couldn't teach me, but it was honestly worth it just to get beat up by him for a round. I have to say, nice guy (though limited English) who really dialed in on the basics, which I appreciated. Yokkao is also a small gym (one ring) and if they didn't cap the number of drop-in students, you could run out of space to train very quickly. I think the normal drop-in rate is 500 THB.

Phuket:

Sinbi: I original met Sing back when he was a trainer at Rawai. He's really the guy who taught me muay Thai as I showed up there with zero experience. I always liked him, so when I learned he opened his own gym down the road, that's where I went on my next trip. I had to be one of the first 100 students, for sure. The gym has obviously changed a lot since then, both for the better as well as the worse. Sing isn't really involved, Pot's gone, Wang's passed away, etc. But it still holds a lot of memories for me, so I always try and swing by, at least for one day. Overall, I had a better experience this year than I have in my previous 2-3 visits. I can't remember who held for me, but pad work was pretty good. Not a lot of feedback, but solid pad holding. Did some boxing sparring with some big boys, which was fun, and the gym had plenty of 18s to go around. All in all, not a bad day. I expected worse. 400 THB per session.

V.hemtanon: No, I did not make this one up. This is a real gym, located over by Soi Mangosteen. I had never heard of it, but ended up staying a few doors down last year, so I figured why not check it out? I was glad I did. Good space, two rings, plenty of bags, plus a gym with plenty of weight lifting gear. It may be because they're newer or there were not a lot of people there (more on that in a second), but the trainers were very attentive and gave real feedback the entire time. There was only one other guy training with me at the time, but they had us clinch for a while, interrupting us with feedback, tips, etc. I wish there had been more people around, but there's just so much competition in the area, and so many big names that it's tough to attract customers. I think they're trying by undercutting a lot of the other guys with their training costs. Granted, I was only there one day, but I liked the gym quite a bit and I would recommend anyone in the area that feels like they're getting lost in the shuffle elsewhere check it out.

Maximum Fitness in Patong: Fart. Uninterested trainers, shitty gym (at least the area where the rings and grappling mats are located), that shitty felt-like ring surface, etc. This would have been a total waste of 400 THB and my time if I hadn't had a few really good sparring rounds, but that's certainly not the gym's doing. The one thing they did right was have plenty of loaner shin pads (that were better than the ones I brought with me), but they didn't bother hand out heavier gloves, which was weird. I wanted to check it out because it's so centrally located, but it was the worst training of the trip, by far.

Thanks for this,I always enjoy reading reviews on the gyms because I really want to go over to Thailand and train some time in the near future. Which gyms would you recommend with the Ines you have been too.

Sparring singdam ? You lucky bastard

Thanks for this,I always enjoy reading reviews on the gyms because I really want to go over to Thailand and train some time in the near future. Which gyms would you recommend with the Ines you have been too.

This depends a lot on your skill and fitness level, goals, etc. For me, personally, I strongly prefer trainer feedback during pad and bag work. I love to spar, but if I had to choose between an attentive pad holder and a few rounds of sparring, I'd choose the former. So, in a situation like that, somewhere like V.hemtanon or even Fight Club 61 works really well for me. I'd probably visit a busier gym here and there during an afternoon session to get some sparring in, but I'd likely spend most of my time elsewhere.

That said, I only opted for one day at Yokkao, and I spent that day doing a one-on-one with Singdam. So I don't know what their normal training regimen looks like. The pad holding looked good, but it looked like a few students were kind of aimless when they weren't working with their pad holders. While a bit of a hassle in terms of booking ahead of time, the ability to drop-in and the incredibly convenient location (a short walk from Asok BTS) makes it a pretty attractive option.

Fight Club 61:

ZM9Y4fg.jpg

sWRY8nl.jpg

Yokkao:
TUOo3VX.jpg

Nr8Y07og.jpg

I have not been to Sinbi in years. I loved that gym 2007-2012. Then the Russians showed up. I need to get back down to Phuket at some point.

I always run into people I trained with over the years in Bangkok and Hua Hin. It's funny.

I agree about Singdam, I popped into Yokkao last summer and Singdam remembered me from my short stay at Kiatmoo9. He held pads for me and he tried to fix up my right kick. He is a solid trainer. I would honestly recommend him over Saenchai. So much of what Saenchai does is attribute based, it is nearly impossible to teach.

I have not been to Sinbi in years. I loved that gym 2007-2012. Then the Russians showed up. I need to get back down to Phuket at some point.

I always run into people I trained with over the years in Bangkok and Hua Hin. It's funny.

I agree about Singdam, I popped into Yokkao last summer and Singdam remembered me from my short stay at Kiatmoo9. He held pads for me and he tried to fix up my right kick. He is a solid trainer. I would honestly recommend him over Saenchai. So much of what Saenchai does is attribute based, it is nearly impossible to teach.

Yeah, deep in my heart, I knew that about any time I spent with Saenchai. But the lure of the chance to work with him directly was too great. I was at Sinbi while he was there, but I didn't get to clinch with him the one afternoon he spent training with students because a millipede had crawled into my glove, bit me, and I wanted to rush back to my room to see if I needed to go to the hospital. True story. Anyway, it all worked out.

Granted I only spent one day at Sinbi, but I didn't run into a single Russian. At least not that I could tell. Maybe it was because low season was wrapping up, but I don't recall seeing too many of them in the area at that time. It used to be crawling with them. Maybe they've moved on... ?

Back