Just watched some of Pancrase 297, disappointing night for JMMA

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
This event somehow slipped under my radar and happened on July 1.

Pancrase 155 champion Takasuke Kume was soundly beaten/KO'ed by journeyman Anton Kuivanen. Kume was 5-0 in Pancrase up to this point, had not lost since 2014, and was coming off a brutal KO win over UFC yet Tokudome.

Top JMMA prospect Takashi Sato lost a war against TUF Brazil 4 winner Glaico Franca, as Franca becomes the new WW champ of Pancrase. (Franca was cut from the UFC after losses to James Vick and Gregor Gillespie.)

Otherwise, Yuya Wakamutsu finished Mamoru Yamaguchi, likely spelling the end of Yamaguchi's career. Wakamutsu and Ikeda both belong in the UFC at this point.

Kenta Takizawa won though. That guy has a really exciting style I think. He is young, good technique, explosive. If he trains more wrestling he could proceed beyond Pancrase. Dude has funny ring entrances as well...

It was a bit of a bummer since Kume had finally won a title after so many disappointments but he's also getting up there in mileage and has had some wars. More bummed about Sato losing but he still gave a good account of himself and showed improvements. It was his first time seeing a 4th round and it showed.

Wakamatsu showed again that he's a big prospect but sadly signed with ONE along with a bunch of other JMMA prospects and vets.

Takizawa and Ogawa both had nice showings and knockouts. Takizawa has potential to be pretty good, strong counter punching but also doesn't get stuck in just countering.

Otherwise, Yuya Wakamutsu finished Mamoru Yamaguchi, likely spelling the end of Yamaguchi's career. Wakamutsu and Ikeda both belong in the UFC at this point.

Kinda been awhile coming for mamoru though. He was one of my favs for awhile but his time has long gone.

Someone start a new jmma thread I was up late last Saturday night and was randomly gonna check if there was a pancrase on but ended up watching a movie instead

I was a pretty big Pancrase and Shooto fan 15 years ago.

Sadly, I can't remember the last card from either promotion I really cared about.

Back