Just wondering why Izzy so confident that he can defeat the polish power?

The fact Izzy grew a titty for his last fight means I won’t be betting against him anytime soon.

Jan should be able to close the distance just as costa was able to a couple times, he just has to actually grab and clinch izzy. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Jan get the win, but can’t bet against a dude who is using that “sauce”.

If Polish Power was a thing, we would not have had WW II.

Because it would be pretty lousy fight promotion for him to say he thinks Jan will win.

Jan is built like a HW and just wrecked the guy that nearly beat Jones. Izzy should have stayed put IMO. Good chance he gets KOd and sometimes a chin never recovers from a bad KO and might make Izzy an easy KO for guys like Gastelum in the future.

Just wondering where that confidence was when Jones challenged him to step up. And I ask that as a Jones hater.

Gastelum messed up his Face and gave him his hardest fight to date, and Romero turned him into a Point Fighter after the first exchange, as someone who also favors Izzy to win, this couldn't be farther from the truth. He's looked far from invincible, and while he's had some amazing performances, his Striking Defense is still very much in question when it comes to this Match up. His speed, and reaction time are going to be the determining factor on whether not he gets slept. Izzy has to be perfect until he gets the TKO through volume and precise shot selection, Jan just needs to perfect when he lands.

Izzy is sort of the rightful favorite in my opinion but Jan can ABSOLUTELY knock him the fuck out.

Also have to factor in Romero chose to stay in MW and not fight in LHW in UFC even after missing weight multiple times and losing the championship fights, he could've easily moved up in weight and be a title challenger. Yoel's power changed Adesanya's whole fight strategy in their fight. Now imagine LHW power that Romero didn't want to compete against.
It wasn't Yoel's "power" that made Izzy change his strategy, it was Yoel's strategy that Izzy had to adjust to.

Everyone who has ever laid eyes on Romero, is well aware that he could KO a whale, so it's not like that suddenly suprised Adesanya in the fight.

Just wondering where that confidence was when Jones challenged him to step up. And I ask that as a Jones hater.
Patience grasshopper. Jon Jones will get his ass whooped soon enough. Unfortunately I'm not sure if Israel will be the first to do it, depending on who Jon gets matched up with next.

I responded to another post that posted this sparring session, but yes this is the reason Adesanya is willing to fight bigger fighters. He has experience fighting bigger fighters in training/sparring and prior kickboxing fights. But the power difference between the kickboxers he fought vs LHW Jan is going to be a big difference. Peira that KO Adesanya is a MW in Glory and the heavier fighters he fought in kickboxing were lower level competition so it isn't comparable to UFC fighters especially a LHW UFC Champion. He has ways to win, but also has ways to lose. It's his fans dismissing Jan's power as a threat. I'm sure Adensanya isn't dismissing it like his fans are, especially since he has been KO before.
Pereira just won the LHW title in Glory against longtime champ Artem Vakhitov and then challenged Rico Verhoeven (the HW champion). Pereira looks like a proper LHW by the way. And LOL if you think Blachowicz punches/kicks harder than Pereira.

Also, funny that you are trying to discredit Adesanya's kickboxing opponents as lower level competition. As far as pure striking, he's faced plenty big guys with similar/better standup. Filip Verlinden used to fight at HW, Bogdan Stoica was a LHW etc. Don't forget that Blachowicz got knocked out by mediocre kickboxer and former MW Thiago Santos not too long ago, who couldn't even be competitive in a K1 or Glory even if he wanted to.

Not saying Blachowicz doesn't have a chance. He definitely can land something big and get a KO because he has power. Or maybe mix it up well with takedown attempts & pressure and eventually either catch him with a good hit or get him to the ground for some ground and pound and finish him there. But, as far as the striking of Jan as a LHW, there is nothing there that Izzy hasn't seen or power he hasn't felt.

It wasn't Yoel's "power" that made Izzy change his strategy, it was Yoel's strategy that Izzy had to adjust to.

Everyone who has ever laid eyes on Romero, is well aware that he could KO a whale, so it's not like that suddenly suprised Adesanya in the fight.
No his strategy was to press him and try to be the first to finish Romero in the UFC, that changed after Yoel connected. He switched to kicking and throwing punches from the outside and running away from Yoel every time Yoel would try to rush him. Basically focused on not engaging with Yoel and just trying to catch him with leg kicks and occasional punches from the outside. If he wasn't worried about Yoel's power he would've tried countering Yoel's rushes like he does vs other fighters, but he didn't.

He fought opponents at HW pre-MMA, he will have sparred and trained with plenty of HWs. How surprising can it really be for him?
Jan is kind off crazy guy who would go all out just to get that big shot in and if Izzy doesn’t stop him there and avoid those powerful shots, he is going to sleep unfortunately

Pereira just won the LHW title in Glory against longtime champ Artem Vakhitov and then challenged Rico Verhoeven (the HW champion). Pereira looks like a proper LHW by the way. And LOL if you think Blachowicz punches/kicks harder than Pereira.

Also, funny that you are trying to discredit Adesanya's kickboxing opponents as lower level competition. As far as pure striking, he's faced plenty big guys with similar/better standup. Filip Verlinden used to fight at HW, Bogdan Stoica was a LHW etc. Don't forget that Blachowicz got knocked out by mediocre kickboxer and former MW Thiago Santos not too long ago, who couldn't even be competitive in a K1 or Glory even if he wanted to.

Not saying Blachowicz doesn't have a chance. He definitely can land something big and get a KO because he has power. Or maybe mix it up well with takedown attempts & pressure and eventually either catch him with a good hit or get him to the ground for some ground and pound and finish him there. But, as far as the striking of Jan as a LHW, there is nothing there that Izzy hasn't seen or power he hasn't felt.
Adesanya is moving up to LHW as well as Pereira did. Not the same as real LHWs that have been fighting at LHW. I wasn't comparing Jan to Peirara, I was comparing Jan vs his fighting in kickboxing that didn't happen in Glory. You have to separate his Glory fights vs his kickboxing fights, the only high level kickboxing fights he had happened in Glory. Jan hits hard in LHW with KO power, so I wouldn't think he hits lighter than a MW moving up to LHW like Pereira.
Also Pereira isn't your typical kickboxer, he also stands out in the kickboxing world. How many other 2 division champs are there with KO punching power like Pereira?

I'm also not the only one that dismisses his earlier kickboxing fights, the competition weren't high level compared to the fighters he fought in Glory and in the UFC. They were used to build his confidence and experience, but they are not comparable to the skill you will find in Glory and in the UFC. That's why he has losses in Glory.

Also you mistake pure kickboxing and assume it's better in mma striking. Lots of K1/Glory fighters don't do as well vs mma striking. It's a different form of striking with different gloves, different movement, pacing, and ranges. Like Gohkan Saki for example. Also Schilling in Bellator and lots of other examples. MMA striking is different.

Also I'm not picking sides between the 2. People just assume that Jan is an easy fight when it isn't. Adesanya and Jan both have ways to win and lose. I do want Adesanya to win just so there is a potential match up vs Jones. I know Adesanya will use his speed advantage to try and win and will be keeping range and fighting from distance the whole fight unless he has Jan tired or hurt. Jan will be trying to rush him and trap him on the cage, maybe even use his grappling/clinching which I think is his best chance of winning. He can tire out Adesanya a bit and slow him down and make him less elusive. Adesanya is easier to hit when he's tired, his reflexes and pull counters/head movement slows down. Plus he's more stationary and since he doesn't have a strong inside game he's open to combinations. If Jan gets him to that point I can see him finishing Adesanya.

Last edited:
The fact Izzy grew a titty for his last fight means I won’t be betting against him anytime soon.

Jan should be able to close the distance just as costa was able to a couple times, he just has to actually grab and clinch izzy. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Jan get the win, but can’t bet against a dude who is using that “sauce”.
They say that sauce gives u the feeling of invincibility plus more stuff so I’m with u on that one

Izzy more quicker of the two and Izzy is younger than Jan. So easy win for Izzy.

He's been flawless against orthodox fighters, having lost not a single round.

Its southpaws that have given him trouble; Anderson & Vettori took a round off him, while Kelvin took 2, & Yoel took 2 arguably 3.

Jan is bigger, longer, & much more technical & powerful than any of the orthodox fighters Izzy previously fought though. He would be wise to at least give Izzy some looks from southpaw still.

He's been flawless against orthodox fighters, having lost not a single round.

Its southpaws that have given him trouble; Anderson & Vettori took a round off him, while Kelvin took 2, & Yoel took 2 arguably 3.

Jan is bigger, longer, & much more technical & powerful than any of the orthodox fighters Izzy previously fought though. He would be wise to at least give Izzy some looks from southpaw still.
Yoel isn't southpaw and Vettori took a round by grappling. Anderson and Kelvin style mattered more than there stance. They use feints and enter quick and throw combinations. Plus they have good timing and also know how to counter. The difference is they have high level boxing. That's what separates them and gave them success vs Adesanya.

Adesanya is moving up to LHW as well as Pereira did. Not the same as real LHWs that have been fighting at LHW. I wasn't comparing Jan to Peirara, I was comparing Jan vs his fighting in kickboxing that didn't happen in Glory. You have to separate his Glory fights vs his kickboxing fights, the only high level kickboxing fights he had happened in Glory. Jan hits hard in LHW with KO power, so I wouldn't think he hits lighter than a MW moving up to LHW like Pereira.
Also Pereira isn't your typical kickboxer, he also stands out in the kickboxing world. How many other 2 division champs are there with KO punching power like Pereira?

I'm also not the only one that dismisses his earlier kickboxing fights, the competition weren't high level compared to the fighters he fought in Glory and in the UFC. They were used to build his confidence and experience, but they are not comparable to the skill you will find in Glory and in the UFC. That's why he has losses in Glory.

Also you mistake pure kickboxing and assume it's better in mma striking. Lots of K1/Glory fighters don't do as well vs mma striking. It's a different form of striking with different gloves, different movement, pacing, and ranges. Like Gohkan Saki for example. Also Schilling in Bellator and lots of other examples. MMA striking is different.
Do you follow kickboxing? Glory you could argue is sort the #1 organization right now (although OneFC now has some of the best fighters under contract like Giorgio Petrosyan and Marat Grigorian), but the sport doesn't really have 1 home since 2010 when K1 kind of died. So instead, I look at the opponents, not the organization. And Adesanya had some other bigger decent opponents like the ones I mentioned in the previous post. I watch a lot of MMA, but at least as much kickboxing as it's the first fighting sport I watched (and then learned). There's a lot of good kickboxers outside of Glory. Glory doesn't have that much capital and they don't really go after all the top talent out there. They do like 1 show a month at best.

Pereira is huge. He looks bigger than most LHWs. He looks like a small HW. The fact that he just moved to LHW doesn't change that fact. He looked bigger than Vakhitov in their fight. And he is also murking people.

You are 100% right that striking is a different ball game in MMA than it is in kickboxing. Most kickboxers are a lot more stationary and have a more upright and less wide stance. They throw a lot of combinations and keep their hands high. In MMA, glove size is different, clinching is different, takedowns are a complete gamechanger, you have a cage instead of a ring and elbows are allowed. I would argue though that Adesanya has adapted very well to MMA (obviously). You are making it seem like he just transitioned to MMA. He is outclassing top MMA guys with his elusive movements and striking. Comparing him to Saki is not really a good comparison. Saki has a different style and he didn't train a lot for MMA prior to coming to the UFC with his 0-1 MMA record. He failed to adapt. Because you are a good kickboxer indeed doesn't mean you'll be a good MMA fighter. But with Adesanya, we can see that he has been able to transition properly to MMA.

I believe Jan has a good shot at beating him, if he comes in win with a good gameplan. A lot of pressure and mixing striking with wrestling/grappling. Keep the fight close and dirty. Make it a hard fight with a lot of grappling exchanges and dirty boxing, on the cage wrestling. Don't allow Adesanya to find his range and feel comfortable. If Jan just goes into striking mode with Adesanya, he's not going to win. If he allows Adesanya to control range and strike from the outside, his only chance will be catching him with a big shot on a counter. And probably he won't be fast enough and lose the fight.

I’m on the ropes(I know this fight is going to end with a KO/TKO) on this and I know Izzy is a more skilled striker than his foe but Jan is extremely dangerous also, so why is Izzy so sure he can beat the LHW champ?
1. In his previous 15 fights in the UFC, Jan has never fought anyone with as long of a reach as Izzy.

2. Jan has been defeated by a middleweight fairly recently. Thiago Santos fought his first 15 UFC fights at middleweight and never missed weight. He fought at middleweight in California, so we know his rehydrated weight: 209.5 lbs. He went up to LHW six months after that fight and brutally knocked out Jan.

3. Izzy has beaten LHWs. His last two fights were against Romero and Costa. Those two rehydrated to 214 and 216 lbs when they fought in California. They are LHWs that do extreme cuts to make middleweight. Izzy also had several kickboxing fights in a 220 lb division.

4. Izzy has a significant speed advantage over Jan. Thiago Santos was quicker than Jan. Izzy is even quicker than Santos.

5. Izzy is a higher level of technical striker and manages distance quite well to avoid getting countered. His aformentioned reach and speed advantages over Jan will help him here.

Do you follow kickboxing? Glory you could argue is sort the #1 organization right now (although OneFC now has some of the best fighters under contract like Giorgio Petrosyan and Marat Grigorian), but the sport doesn't really have 1 home since 2010 when K1 kind of died. So instead, I look at the opponents, not the organization. And Adesanya had some other bigger decent opponents like the ones I mentioned in the previous post. I watch a lot of MMA, but at least as much kickboxing as it's the first fighting sport I watched (and then learned). There's a lot of good kickboxers outside of Glory. Glory doesn't have that much capital and they don't really go after all the top talent out there. They do like 1 show a month at best.

Pereira is huge. He looks bigger than most LHWs. He looks like a small HW. The fact that he just moved to LHW doesn't change that fact. He looked bigger than Vakhitov in their fight. And he is also murking people.

You are 100% right that striking is a different ball game in MMA than it is in kickboxing. Most kickboxers are a lot more stationary and have a more upright and less wide stance. They throw a lot of combinations and keep their hands high. In MMA, glove size is different, clinching is different, takedowns are a complete gamechanger, you have a cage instead of a ring and elbows are allowed. I would argue though that Adesanya has adapted very well to MMA (obviously). You are making it seem like he just transitioned to MMA. He is outclassing top MMA guys with his elusive movements and striking. Comparing him to Saki is not really a good comparison. Saki has a different style and he didn't train a lot for MMA prior to coming to the UFC with his 0-1 MMA record. He failed to adapt. Because you are a good kickboxer indeed doesn't mean you'll be a good MMA fighter. But with Adesanya, we can see that he has been able to transition properly to MMA.

I believe Jan has a good shot at beating him, if he comes in win with a good gameplan. A lot of pressure and mixing striking with wrestling/grappling. Keep the fight close and dirty. Make it a hard fight with a lot of grappling exchanges and dirty boxing, on the cage wrestling. Don't allow Adesanya to find his range and feel comfortable. If Jan just goes into striking mode with Adesanya, he's not going to win. If he allows Adesanya to control range and strike from the outside, his only chance will be catching him with a big shot on a counter. And probably he won't be fast enough and lose the fight.
I follow ONE, Glory and K1 when it was around. Pereira was around the same size as Adesanya before but he does seem more muscular now. I would need to see him next to other UFC fighters to gauge his size vs other MW/LHW fighters.

I know there are other high level fighters that aren't in Glory, but for Adesanya he only competed against high level in Glory. That's also where 4 out of 5 of his losses came from.

Adesaya doesn't have a typical kicboxer/muay thai style and that's why he adjusted to mma better. He doesn't use the typical high guard stationary style. He's an elusive counter striker who would rather try to slip the punch instead of blocking it. So he never had the issue with trying to block punches with small gloves like they do with big gloves and having the punches slip through their guard and connect. Plus Adesanya uses footwork/movement when most kickboxers/muay thai fighters don't. I agree that any fighter coming from a pure striking sport will have to adjust their style for mma.

Back