Locked JUSTICE LEAGUE v.3 (New Character Posters and Trailer Promos)

After Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, do you still want Zack Snyder to Direct Justice League?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: October 12, 2016

First Look at Amber Heard as Mera in JUSTICE LEAGUE

Mera-First-Look-Final-Photo.jpg

Final concept art below.

Mera-Concept-Art-Final.jpg

Update: October 7, 2016

New JUSTICE LEAGUE Footage in Behind-the-Scenes Video from Zack Snyder

To commemorate the last day of filming Justice League in the United Kingdom, director Zack Snyder has released an exciting behind-the-scenes video montage of the Justice League in action. Justice League began shooting in the United Kingdom in April 2016 at Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden. Some scenes were also shot in London, Scotland, Iceland, and Los Angeles.

New Justice League Footage In Behind-The-Scenes Video From Zack Snyder as UK Filming Wraps

Update: September 29, 2016

Zack Snyder Teases Deathstroke and Lex Luthor Scene in JUSTICE LEAGUE

CtipQaDUIAASqGg.jpg:large

CtipRypUIAAAnjB.jpg:large

CtipRynVUAAXKRX.png:large

Last edited:
Update: September 18, 2016

Details on Commissioner Gordon Rooftop Scene in JUSTICE LEAGUE

210zjpg.png

On Batman Day, Justice League director Zack Snyder surprised the world with a first official look at J.K. Simmons as Commissioner Gordon. In the photo, Commissioner Gordon can be seen standing on a rooftop next to the familiar Bat-Signal.

But who is Gordon waiting for on that rooftop? Who is he about to meet? If you guessed the obvious answer of Batman, then you would only be partially right. Obviously, when Gordon shines that special light into the sky, he's making a call out to the famed Caped Crusader.

However, in this particular instance, not only does Batman show up, but a few of his friends as well. Back in June, ComicBook.com's Brandon Davis paid a visit to the set of Justice League, and he got to watch the scene that goes with the Comissioner Gordon photo that Zack Snyder released. Here's how Brandon described the scene:

The setting was a Gotham City rooftop. More specifically, it was the rooftop of the Gotham City Police Department where the Batsignal resides. Set dressers milled around covering the set and costumes with water as flashes from high above the set simulated lightning. Green screens surrounded the rooftop's edges, but the look of the rooftop was convincing enough to overlook the fact. A tall rounded set piece with statues of angels burst from the rooftop near its center, with smoke creeping from pipes and delivering Gotham’s gritty feel.

Gordon stood on one side of the set with the Batsignal lit awaiting the Dark Knight. When he arrived, he didn’t do so alone. Affleck’s Batman drops into the set with a super hero landing as Wonder Woman and The Flash stand on either side. “How many of you are there?” Gordon asks upon seeing them. “Not enough,” Batman tells him before directing Barry to turn off the Batsignal.

“The eight might still be alive,” Gordon optimistically tells Batman, referring to kidnapped scientists before Cyborg busts into the scene, saying, “9,” to Wonder Woman’s satisfaction. Diana’s look signifies her desire to have recruited Cyborg to the team and his joining has definitely earned her approval. “The head of STAR Labs was taken tonight,” Cyborg tells the team, referring to his scientist father.

The group confers for a moment, discussing previously discovered nests of Parademons, before realizing that none of the patterns converge “on land” which felt a lot like an Aquaman reference. Based on the Crawler and Stryker’s Island scenes, we know the setting of the Parademon nest to be underground but choosing to say “on land” seems like the first reference to Momoa’s trident-wielding hero, who has only made a cameo in the universe so far.

The team elects to use Batman’s Crawler after Flash points out the fact that they won’t fit in the car together and promptly disappears behind Gordon’s back. When he turns around, we get a moment of humor which we all desire from the dark and gritty DC movies. Barry Allen opens up something along the lines of, “Whoa! They just… Disappear on you like that? That’s rude,” before zooming out of the scene himself. The line changed with each take but Ezra Miller certainly won over any doubters who were watching.

Who Commissioner Gordon Is Meeting In Justice League Rooftop Photo

Update: September 17, 2016

First Look at J.K. Simmon as Commissioner Gordon in JUSTICE LEAGUE

Zack Snyder has shared the first image of J.K Simmons as Commissioner Gordon to celebrate Batman day.

CslBJCJW8AA4TM5.jpg:large

Csk7e15WIAAV1Xn.jpg

Update: September 14, 2016

First Look at Batman's New Tactical Batsuit in JUSTICE LEAGUE

batman-tactical-suit-brightened-199827.jpg

Director Zack Synder has revealed a new look at Batman's tactical Batsuit for Justice League, the first time we've seen it on Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne. “Homestretch,” Snyder wrote on Twitter. “Last day filming Batman in the new Tactical Batsuit.”

The image shows Affleck in the new suit, standing next to a Batmobile that is being showered in sparks. The Batmobile has several small missiles armed and primed on the side of it.

The costume itself is a slightly more armored version of the base suit, without being the full "Dark Knight" armor. The comparisons between this and the Night Owl costume from Zack Snyder's Watchmen, thanks to his darkened goggles and shortened ears, are inevitable.

"So in the final chapter of our film, Batman realizes he has to step up his game a little bit and he and Alfred have been working on developing a suit that's even more protective and offers more deflection than the classic suit,"costume designer Michael Wilkinson told ComicBook.com's Brandon Davis on the set of Justice League about this new tactical suit. "So in a sense, it's piece of armor.

"So you can see the classic suit underneath, but on top are straps and layers of the carbon fiber, strengthening armor plates, he's got sort of a leather layer upon here that he is strapping all over his plates onto the wrapping around his body and offering just a little more protection than the old. He's also going to get a new cowl with some new tech details and that gives him even more protection. We're going to do some goggles for him, a new tech cape made out of our carbon fiber weave."

Wilkinson also said the goggles are for a specific purpose: for Batman to wear for a special occasion.

"We liked the way that they catch the light and give that classic image from the comic books. But he'll also be piloting a new vehicle that he will need these goggles for," Wilkinson revealed.

Zack Snyder Reveals First Look at Batman's New Tactical Batsuit for 'Justice League'

Update: September 8, 2016

Joe Manganiello Cast as Deathstroke in BATMAN and Possibly in JUSTICE LEAGUE

Joe-Manganiello-Deathstroke-031115-Dragonlord.jpg

Batman will face comic book villain Deathstroke, played by True Blood star Joe Manganiello, in Ben Affleck’s first solo movie playing the Dark Knight.

Affleck recently shared a video online of Manganiello in his Deathstroke get-up, but didn’t reveal the actor underneath the mask or what role the character would play in upcoming films. The actor is also known for his role in the Magic Mike Movies.

DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Geoff Johns confirmed the casting in his first interview discussing his new role overseeing Warner Bros.’ movies based on DC Comics characters.

Johns declined to comment on whether Deathstroke has a cameo in Justice League, which is currently shooting in London. Johns also declined to say when the Batman movie will be released, although the earliest it could likely hit theaters is 2018. Johns and Affleck are writing the script for the new Batman movie, which will be directed by Affleck.

Joe Manganiello Will Play Deathstroke in Ben Affleck’s Batman Movie

Update: September 8, 2016

Warner Bros.’s New Strategy on DC: Lighten Up, Superheroes

Geoff-Johns-DC-Films-Entertainment-Dragonlord.jpg

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, DC Entertainment President Geoff Johns opened up about the changes coming to the cinematic DCEU and how the optimism the production is aiming for with Justice League isn’t out of the ordinary for the DC characters.

“Mistakenly in the past I think the studio has said, ‘Oh, DC films are gritty and dark and that’s what makes them different.’ That couldn’t be more wrong,” Johns said. “It’s a hopeful and optimistic view of life. Even Batman has a glimmer of that in him. If he didn’t think he’d make tomorrow better, he’d stop.”

The outlet reports that following fan reactions to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the time table for “hope and optimism” was accelerated for the heroes’ next big adventure.

They also reveal that Justice League will address one of the major fan complaints from the film, Batman’s default mode of extreme violence and the attempted murder of Superman. In addition, they say the film will have fewer of Zack Snyder’s “controversial flourishes” like the apocalyptic dream sequence from Dawn of Justice and will focus on the actual plot of the film at hand.

Geoff Johns Talks Justice League Adjustments, Film Will Address Deadly Bat-Behavior

Update: August 29, 2016

First Look at Deathstroke, Reportedly Will Be the Main Villain in BATMAN Solo Movie

x3cpbo.jpg

Ben Affleck tweeted a video that appears to be test footage for the new movie, featuring the DC Comics villain Deathstroke.

Ben Affleck wasn't just teasing: Deathstroke will, in fact, be the main antagonist of the Batman standalone movie he’s directing, TheWrap has exclusively learned from an individual with knowledge of the situation.

Earlier this morning, the actor who plays the Dark Knight posted a cryptic tweet of the new villain walking toward the camera in very cinematic fashion, which sent fanboys into a frenzy of speculation.

Deathstroke was created by Marv Wolfman and George Perez. He is a mercenary and assassin who first appeared in “The New Teen Titans” #2 back in 1980.Wizard magazine rated him the 24th greatest villain of all time.

There is speculation that Joe Manganiello might be playing Deathstroke. The actor is currently in London, the central hub of all things DC Films. Justice League is shooting at Warner Bros. Studios London, so the location is right. In a picture he posted with his wife, actress Sofia Vergara, he's even sporting a variation of the 'ole high and tight, and a nice goatee - a similar look to what Slade Wilson usually sports in the pages of DC Comics and his animated style.

There's more from Twitter as well, though, as Manganiello's most recent follow is none other than Justice League director Zack Snyder.

Back in March 2015, Manganiello was rumored to be up for the role of Deathstroke in Suicide Squad.

Deathstroke Will Be Main Villain in Ben Affleck’s Batman Movie (Exclusive); Joe Manganiello Playing Deathstroke?

Update: July 23, 2016

First Official Trailer and Image for JUSTICE LEAGUE Released at Comic-Con!

CoEjVGGVUAIDNSA.jpg:orig

Warner Bros. surprised fans at Comic-Con on Saturday with a first look at Justice League, the DC Comics superhero team-up scheduled for release Nov. 17, 2017.

Directed by Zack Snyder, Justice League brings together Batman (Ben Affleck), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), The Flash (Ezra Miller), Aquaman (Jason Momoa), and Cyborg (Ray Fisher) to form the super team. Superman actor Henry Cavill is also set to appear in the film, despite where the Man of Steel was left at the end of Batman v Superman.

Synopsis: Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes — Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg, and the Flash — it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.

Justice League Trailer Surprises Fans at Comic-Con

Update: June 28, 2016

J.K. Simmons Explains "Gym Gordon" Workout Viral Photos

JK-Simmons-Workout-062816-Dragonlord.jpg

Actor J.K. Simmons has been cast as Commissioner Gordon in Warner Bros. upcoming Justice League, a casting that was met with a warm reception from the enthusiast community when it was originally announced.

Then recently some pictures of the actor in the gym popped up online, showing the actor extremely buff with a full beard, a look that most don't associate with the character. Many thought it might be a new look for the film specifically, but in an interview with Business Insider, he put those fears to rest.

"This is all coincidental. After the second and final time that I got hugely fat in my life and when I lost that weight six or seven years ago, I pretty much decided that I was going to stay in decent shape for the rest of my life."

Simmons assured fans that the character will be someone they recognize. "I'm not going to mess with something that iconic," he said.

As for his buff look, it's just a lifestyle thing, and has been for quite a while, and it started back during his time on the HBO show OZ.

"I was not in good shape at all," he said. "I was overweight and soft and here I am playing the head of the Aryan Brotherhood in this maximum-security prison in the first-ever HBO original drama and I was watching the first season when it came out and I just thought, 'Wow, I don't believe this guy at all. I have to get my a-- to the gym and be a believable hard-a--.'"

"Those were shot at the end of April. I'm huge now!" Simmons joked.

Justice League's J.K. Simmons Explains Viral Workout Photos And His Jim Gordon Look

Update: June 23, 2016

BATMAN V SUPERMAN Backlash Forced Zack Snyder to Change JUSTICE LEAGUE's Tone

Zack-Snyder-Henry-Cavill-Batman-v-Superman-Set-Dragonlord.jpg

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice certainly has its fair share of fans, but there are a lot of people who really didn't like what Zack Snyder did with that movie (particularly critics). While the filmmaker weighed in on the reviews when the movie's press tour reached the UK, reporters inevitably pushed him for more on that backlash and the impact it may have had on how Justice League has developed.

"When Batman v Superman came out, I was like, ‘Wow, okay, oof,’" the filmmaker admitted in an interview with Vulture. "It did catch me off guard. I have had to, in my mind, make an adjustment. I do think that the tone of Justice League has changed because of what the fans have said." It seems to have worked too, because all we keep hearing in these set visits is how much fun the movie looks!

"You really had to dig down on the darker parts of them to make them fight each other," he said. "I really do believe that with this movie, with Justice League, they’ve been freed of the responsibility to be in a place where they would fight each other. That’s liberating for us in making the movie, because now we have a single enemy with a single objective, and it’s really about uniting the team. That, to me, is a fun activity."

Zack Snyder Talks Batman v Superman Backlash; Admits Fan Response Changed Justice League's Tone

Update: June 21, 2016

First Look at the Upgraded Batmobile for JUSTICE LEAGUE

Though Batman's powerful ride looks mostly the same as it did upon its debut in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, some changes have been made to its weaponry, which can be seen in the images. Concept art for the Batmobile also showed a large cannon attached to the top of the vehicle, resembling an oversized .50 caliber rifle.

While on the set of Justice League, production designer Patrick Tatupoulos pointed out the new additions to the Batmobile such as new machine guns on the front and sides of the ride, cannons and missile launchers. The armor of the vehicle is not improved but Bruce Wayne, at some point in the film, has realized the he'll need more weaponry to take on The Batmobile won't have any non-lethal weapons attached to it... Batman still means business.

The Batmobile isn't the only vehicle Bruce Wayne has been working on in the time between Dawn of Justice and Justice League. We also got a look at the set and concept art for his new "Crawler" vehicle which will be used to infiltrate a nest of Parademons and saw the Justice League troopcarrier, a B-52 sized aircraft which will carry the team and the Batmobile into battle under the name, "Flying Fox."

r7qf5k.jpg

25f183be-adca-4d71-9a16-e4da9bede967-186687.jpg

First Look at the New Batmobile for the Justice League Movie

Ben Affleck Promises More Humor and Fun in JUSTICE LEAGUE

Batman-v-Superman-Set-Zack-Snyder-Ben-Affleck-Dragonlord.jpg

“There's definitely room for more humor,” Ben Affleck says. “DC movies are, I think, by their nature still a little bit more Gothic or more mythic rather than some comic book movies are, but [Batman v Superman] was a heavy, dark movie. It was really rooted in Dark Knight Returns, which is a heavy, dark book. This is not that. This is a step in evolution from that about bringing together all these characters, ones who had their origins and it's about multilateralism and it's about hope. It's about working together and the kind of conflicts that you have trying to work together with others. It's a world with all these other superheroes that exist.”

Affleck went on to explain where Justice League’s humor comes from, which was also made clear in the aforementioned scenes. “There's comedy that goes in that necessarily, trying to work with other people and people trying to accomplish goals together is the root of all great comedy in my view, so there's definitely hopefully some fun in it, but it's recognizably these characters and these stories,” the actor and executive producer says before concluding, “It's not turning it upside down.”

Perhaps more promising than Affleck’s words was his genuine energy and enthusiasm while describing the changes coming to the DC Films. The actor’s apparent disappointment in Batman v Superman went viral during the film’s press tour but it’s clear that he believes in Justice League and has not, at all, been discouraged by the negativity surrounding his re-entry to comic book movies.

Ben Affleck Promises More Humor And Fun In Justice League

Scene Description of How Batman Recruited Flash in JUSTICE LEAGUE

Justice-League-Bruce-Barry-Scene-1-Dragonlord.jpg

Gizmodo also has a breakdown of a scene from the film featuring Bruce Wayne’s initial contact with Barry Allen and recruitment into the Justice League. The site reports Barry Allen returns to his ‘warehouse’-sized apartment to find Bruce Wayne waiting for him and holding a photo of the Flash video we saw in Dawn of Justice. The pair exchange dialogue:

“That’s a person who looks exactly like me but is definitely not,” Allen replies. “Hippie, long hair, very attractive Jewish boy. He drinks milk, I don’t drink milk.” he jokes as Wayne starts to walk over to a red suit standing in the apartment.

“I know you have abilities, I just don’t know what they are,” says Wayne.

“My special skills include viola, web design…” Allen rambles as Wayne examines the suit and notes it’s made of a very specific heat resistant material. “Yeah, I do competitive ice dancing,” Allen says.

“This is the stuff the space shuttle uses to prevent from burning up on reentry.”

“…Very competitive ice dancing?”

Justice-League-Bruce-Barry-Scene-2-Dragonlord.png

Just then, the film turns to slow-motion as Bruce Wayne hurls one of the razor-sharp, bat-logo-shaped throwing stars he used in BvS at Allen. Allen looks at it inquisitively as it passes him in slow motion then, with a profound realization, grabs it out of the air. Silence, surprise, and then: “You’re the Batman?”

“And you’re fast.”

“That feels like an oversimplification.”

Bruce tells Allen he’s putting together a team of people with special abilities because he believes enemies are coming. Barry immediately wants to be part of it, and Batman can’t help but ask why he’s agreed so quickly. “I need friends,” says Barry, just before holding up the throwing-bat/star. “Can I keep this?”

Scene Description of How Batman Recruited The Flash in Justice League

Comments: This sounds like a fun scene. Calling it now, Ezra Miller's Flash will be the best thing about the Justice League movie.

Tons of New Details on Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE Revealed

Justice-League-Official-Logo-Black-Dragonlord.jpg

- It is no longer referred to as a two part film. Zack Snyder’s Justice League is simply that: Justice League, a complete, standalone film.

- Expect a lighter tone than BVS, which was focused on being more akin to Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, a much darker tale to begin with. Justice League is expected to be more of a fun, ensemble superhero piece that focuses on the building of the team and uniting to fight a common threat.

- Justice League will have a heavy Jack Kirby influence, with the story revolving around the puruit of the three motherboxes, one from Earth, one from Atlantis, and one from The Amazonians.

- The film takes places months after BVS, with Bruce heavily affected by Superman’s death and seeking to honor his sacrifice in building the Justice League. Rather than being a Batman on the edge, he is now a Batman full of hope, hinged entirely on created a team that can unite and fight common threats, while redeeming mankind, having learned his lessons in BVS.

- A large part of the film focuses on Bruce assembling the team, with Superman’s return reserved for later in the film. About his comeback, Snyder was mum, although when I asked how his hair would be, Snyder joking said it might be “a little longer” which is significant if you remember the “Death of Superman” comics.

- Amy Adams is back as Lois Lane.

- In terms of villains, Steppenwolf is one of the key villains, although not necessarily the only one. The influence and presence of Darkseid is very much alive, with the parademons we saw in BVS once again appearing here. The role of Steppenwolf is expected to be cast soon. In addition, although not confirmed, it’s implied that Lex will have something to do with this story as well. How big or how little is unknown.

- Ben Affleck confirmed that he is, in fact, directing a solo Batman film, but won’t begin production until the script is right, which he is currently working to get to that point.

- The purpose of Affleck serving as Executive Producer on Justice League is primarily to have some oversight on the Batman character as he will be directing the solo outing. This gives Affleck the ability to help steer the character and make sure everything stays in line with his next onscreen adventure.

- Batman’s suit will see some improvements from BVS, including armor plates underneath the costume to protect his vitals, seeing as he is the most vulnerable of the cast in terms of superpowers. In addition, we’ll see a new and improved version of his armored suit from BVS used at the end of Justice League.

- Bruce Wayne will build a Waynetech carrier called The Flying Fox for the Justice League to utilize. In addition, Batman will have a new vehicle called The Nightcrawler, which was designed by his father, Thomas Wayne, and plays a large role in an underground tunnel battle.

- Willem Dafoe’s role has been revealed as Vulko, a mentor character to Jason Momoa’s Aquaman. He's described as being from another generation thaa Aquaman with his costume being more courtly and elaborate, including silvery, washed out colors and a lot of gil elements around the neck, with the idea being that Atlantean culture was once above water and that their skin has adapted to breathing underwater.

- Amber Heard's character, Mera, is a warrior and a sorceress, and is described as the costume designer's favorite, with her costume having a type of chaimail blended with the skin. There's a very elaborate fitting process with these Atlantian characters in order to make the costumes comfortable and work with the choreography of the fights, as they fit really close to their bodies, like scales.

- JK Simmons’ Commissioner Gordon has the classic Jim Gordon look. Simmons is wearing a hairpiece, moustache, and glasses.

- Ezra Miller’s Flash will feature heavily in the film and will provide much of the comic relief to the proceedings. His initial costume will be pieced together from spacesuit material, held together by electrified wire. He will rock a streamlined costume by the end of the film, designed by Waynetech.

- Ray Fisher’s Cyborg costume will be all CGI, while the rest of the team’s costumes will be all practical.

- Junkie XL will be back to score the film, although it’s unclear if collaborator Hans Zimmer will be involved. However, Zimmer’s themes will still be used regardless if he returns or not.

- As far as the Man of Steel himself is concerned, when (and if) we do see him, Zack Snyder stated that his hair would be "...perfect - a little longer I guess - that’s what the myths are," which could relate to the Return of Superman storyline.

Tons of New Details on Zack Snyder's Justice League Movie

Update: May 29, 2016

Jesse Eisenberg Confirms Lex Luthor to Return in JUSTICE LEAGUE

Batman-v-Superman-Lex-Luthor-102015-Dragonlord.jpg

A big piece of the DC Films puzzle has been confirmed to appear in Justice League, and that’s Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor. Speaking at MCM London Comic-Con today, Eisenberg revealed that he indeed has a role in Justice League:

“I’m kind of in wait. They just started filming Justice League, so I’m kind of like waiting for my crack at it. I don’t know what I’m allowed to say, because I feel like there’s probably some drone following me from DC, and if I say anything wrong I get, you know, picked off. But yeah I think so, and I love it, and I love everybody who’s in it. You know, it’s a really talented group of people.”

While Luthor’s motivations were fairly muddled in Batman v Superman, the film did appear to set him up as a significant part of the DC Extended Universe going forward, especially so in a deleted scene that showed Luthor communicating with an otherworldly being—likely Steppenwolf. Indeed, Steppenwolf is rumored to be the Big Bad of Justice League, so it makes sense that Luthor would have some sort of role in the follow-up given all that time he spent in that alien goo.

It’ll be interesting to see what kind of film Justice League is when it hits theaters. BvS actor Jeremy Irons recently got very candid about that movie’s problems, and with all the behind-the-scenes changes taking place, Warner Bros. appears to be taking steps to make sure Justice League doesn’t suffer from the same issues.

Jesse Eisenberg Confirms Lex Luthor to Return in Zack Snyder's 'Justice League Part One'

Update: May 28, 2016

Jeremy Irons Says BATMAN V SUPERMAN Deserved Its Bad Reviews

Batman-v-Superman-Alfred-Jeremy-Irons-Dragonlord.jpg

Speaking with the Daily Mail, Jeremy Irons minced no words in talking about the poor reviews for the Zack Snyder-helmed superhero smackdown, saying he found the less-than-glowing critical response to be warranted:

‘Deservedly so. I mean it took $800 million, so the kicking didn’t matter but it was sort of overstuffed…It was very muddled. I think the next one will be simpler. The script is certainly a lot smaller, it’s more linear.”

That “next one” is the currently filming Justice League Part One, which Snyder is directing but which is being watched ever-closely by the media and Warner Bros. alike. Indeed, the studio has been doing some major course-correction in the wake ofBvS, from upping Ben Affleck to an executive producer to setting an official head of DC Films to scaling back the roles of those that have been intimately involved in the crafting of the DC Extended Universe thus far. So while Irons’ words may be a bit harsh coming from someone who was in the movie and will be part of the universe for some time to come, it’s not as if the studio is pretending that everything is hunky dory.

Jeremy Irons Says 'Batman v Superman' Was "Overstuffed," "Muddled" and Deserved Its Bad Reviews

Update: May 24, 2016

Charles Roven No Longer Producing All DC Movies Due to BATMAN V SUPERMAN Fallout

Charles-Roven-Batman-v-Superman-052416-Dragonlord.jpg

Charles Roven, the veteran producer who has worked on every DC Comics movie at Warner Bros. since 2005’s Batman Begins, is no longer producing certain DC movies, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Talks are underway to have Roven — who was a producer on Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, as well as the recently completed Suicide Squad and next year's Wonder Woman — segue to a different role going forward, likely that of an executive producer who is not involved in day-to-day production. However, he potentially could continue to be a producer on some sequels to the movies he's currently producing.

The extent of Roven's involvement, and which titles he would work on, is "evolving," according to multiple sources, who also stress that no final decisions have been made.

Warners, which leverages its DC IP across multiple channels, among them publishing and video games, now is taking steps to course-correct its approach as it develops its superhero slate. It recently shuffled its executive ranks to have executive vp Jon Berg and Geoff Johns, DC's chief content officer, co-run the newly created DC Films. It also is seeking to hire a more established director on The Flash (2018) after parting ways with screenwriter Seth Grahame-Smith, who initially was attached to make his directorial debut with the project.

Roven is part of the unofficial brain trust with Snyder on the DC movies, an approach Warners seems to be rethinking in the wake of BvS's less than stellar performance.

One reason for the shift in thinking is that Warners wants to ramp up the number of DC productions, and sources say it would be physically impossible for one man to handle pre-, post- and production on multiple movies in countries and cities ranging from Australia to Los Angeles to Louisiana to London.

Roven was slated to be a producer on Flash and Aquaman, two DC films that have yet to go into production and could end up shooting on opposite ends of the planet. Sources tell THR he will no longer serve in that capacity on those films.

Roven remains on set for Justice League: Part 1, currently shooting in London, although Warners now has sent Berg to also oversee the day-to-day production of that movie.

The move comes as Warner Bros. continues to scrutinize its DC movies in the wake of BvS’s so-so performance at the box office and chilly reception from audiences. The movie, released March 25, wrapped its run with $871 million worldwide with a production budget of at least $300 million. While Warners insists the movie will be profitable, it was meant to kick off the studio’s DC cinematic universe with a billion-dollar bang, but instead was met with an unenthusiastic response from fans

'Batman v Superman' Fallout: Producer Charles Roven to Shift Role on DC Movies (Exclusive)

Update: May 18, 2016

Warner Bros. Creates DC Films Division Due to BATMAN V SUPERMAN Fallout

Geoff-Johns-Batman-v-Superman-Dragonlord.jpg

The fallout from Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice continues to ripple through Warner Bros.

The Burbank-based studio is making changes to the way it handles its DC Entertainment-centered films, giving oversight of the feature projects to a pair of executives and creating a dedicated division for the films. Current executive vp Jon Berg and Geoff Johns, DC's chief content officer who successfully launched the comics label's foray into television, will co-run the newly created DC Films, according to multiple sources.

This move is part of a broader refinement of executive roles at Warners, which has suffered a disappointing run of movies and has vexed producers and filmmakers, some of whom complain about a murky greenlight process.

Now, instead of a broad range of movies to oversee, executives will be charged with managing “genre streams" while reporting to Warner Bros. Pictures president Greg Silverman. In many cases, these streams formalize interests and specialties for specific executives. Courtenay Valenti, for example, will now oversee all Lego projects as well as the Harry Potter line that begins with November's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Senior production execs Jesse Ehrman and Niija Kuykendall will focus more on comedy/family and sci-fi/action, respectively, according to sources.

Further executive changes are anticipated, including a potential hire at the senior level.

Berg was already working on BvS, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and Justice League. He also is a conduit to Ben Affleck, having worked with the actor-filmmaker on Argo and Live by Night, the crime thriller Affleck recently wrapped as director, writer and star for the studio.

Comics writer-turned-exec Johns, meanwhile, was key in working with showrunner Greg Berlanti on the ascension of superhero shows such as Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl and is the writer behind DC's upcoming Rebirth, the publishing side's reboot of its titles that will play out over the summer months. He is not leaving DC, according to sources, but adding film to his portfolio.
Johns will still report to DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson, while Berg will report to Silverman.

With Berg and Johns, Warner Bros. is attempting to unify the disparate elements of the DC movies with a seasoned film exec and a comics veteran that together hopefully can emulate the way Marvel Studios has produced its films under the vision of president Kevin Feige. But sources also say Warners still wants to remain a filmmaker-driven studio. As part of their new jobs, Berg and Johns will become producers on the Justice League movies.

The muted reception of BvS, from a box-office and critical point of view, is the flashpoint for the changes. The studio had high hopes for the movie, which pitted its top heroes against each other. The door was opened for director Zack Snyder to be involved in shaping the look and content of the entire DC line, which is scheduled through 2020. But critics and fans ripped into the first pic and especially Snyder for perceived missteps, including its heroes' unheroic behavior and the dark tone. BvS, which cost at least $300 million to make, has grossed less than $870 million worldwide since its March 25 release. Warners has said the film will be profitable but it was hardly the home run the studio had wanted.

In stark contrast, Marvel Studios’ Captain America: Civil War is heading towards $1 billion in less than two weeks of release. The movie also pitted heroes against each other, but Marvel's lighter tone and bright colors (while tackling more serious themes) are clearly resonating with audiences. So Warners is attempting a course correction.

'Batman v. Superman' Fallout: Warner Bros. Shakes Up Executive Roles (Exclusive)

Update: May 13, 2016

Rumor: New Details on Black Canary, Mother Boxes, Ancient War in JUSTICE LEAGUE

Black-Canary-Justice-League-051316-Dragonlord.jpg

Today's scoop drop ties to this week's earlier rumor from Devin Faraci that the villain of Justice League will be Steppenwolf and that he's after three Mother Boxes that are on Earth. According to infamous fanboy scooper El Mayimbe a.k.a. Umberto Gonzalez, there's much more to Darkseid's attempt to subjugate the Earth 30,000 years ago.

Supposedly, after the conclusion of the ancient battle with Darkseid, the team-up between man, the Atlanteans and the Amazons led to a war/feud between Atlantis and Themyscira. We've heard this rumor several times previously and it's continued resurgence means its likely true. However, this is where things get interesting. Apparently, Black Canary (or Black Canary's ancestor) was a member of that original resistance group that battled Darkseid's forces many centuries ago.

Gonzalez also reports that Cyborg will be the key to Batman, Wonder Woman and the rest of the Justice League discovering Darkseid/Steppenwolf's plan, which is a bit obvious, considering a Mother Box was used in creating his cybernetic body. Much more interesting is the possibility that the two remaining Mother Boxes reside with Atlantis and the Amazons respectively.

Rumor: New Details On Justice League's Mother Boxes, Black Canary And More

Update: May 12, 2016

Rumor: Steppenwolf and Three Mother Boxes Plot Details for JUSTICE LEAGUE

Steppenwolf-Justice-League-051216-Dragonlord.jpg

Yesterday, Birth.Movies.Death's Devin Faraci reported that Steppenwolf will play the main villain in Justice League Part One, currently filming with director Zack Snyder, got a shot in the arm today as Heroic Hollywood has followed up with details that seemingly lend credence...and a good deal more detail.

Apparently an early portion of the film will detail a battle which took place centuries ago, when Darkseid was turned back by Amazons, Atlanteans and mankind. This battle will be the setup for the two Justice League films, as Steppenwolf (and presumably, later Darkseid) is on Earth in search of three Mother Boxes Darkseid left behind.

Those three Mother Boxes, according to the report, are the three you see a character rumored to be Steppenwolf manipulating in the "Homecoming" deleted scene from Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, which was released shortly after that film came to theaters.

Of course, we don't know much about the whereabouts of the Mother Boxes, other than that we saw one of them used to save the life of a dying teenager who will later turn out to be Cyborg in the S.T.A.R. Labs security footage Batman and Wonder Woman viewed in Batman V Superman. A good bet would be that each of the three Earth-born races that fought Darkseid got one of the Mother Boxes, and that both the Amazons and the Atlanteans have access to one of the others.

It's also worth noting that in Batman V Superman, Wonder Woman told the title characters, "I've killed things from other worlds before." This could suggest that, if this rumor turned out to be true, Wonder Woman was part of the original battle, which rumors peg as being 30,000 years ago.

More Justice League Movie Villain Rumors Start to Surface

Update: May 11, 2016

Steppenwolf Rumored to Be the Main Villain in JUSTICE LEAGUE

Batman-v-Superman-Deleted-Communion-Scene-Dragonlord.jpg

After the weekend that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice opened, a deleted scene from the movie was mysteriously revealed online by Warner Bros. featuring Lex Luthor and an unnamed being from another world.

Theories popped up on every corner of the internet about who this character could be. Was it Yuga Khan, Darkseid’s father? Or was it Darkseid’s General, Steppenwolf? BirthMoviesDeath's Devin Faraci now reports that the character in question is in fact Steppenwolf and that he will go on to become the lead villain of the Justice League movie.

The outlet notes that in the context of the film, Steppenwolf will have “a contentious history with Darkseid” which will lead to the battle that the Justice League can’t quite win on their own, forcing them to “turn to a dead friend for help.”

Created by Jack Kirby, Steppenwolf has been the leader of Darkseid’s army of Apokolips since he debuted in 1972. A member of the New Gods, he has an extensive history in the DCU including fights with Doomsday, The Flash, and lesser known villains like Clock King. Justice League will debut in theaters on November 10, 2017.

Did the Justice League Villain Appear in a Batman v Superman Deleted Scene?

Update: May 6, 2016

Ben Affleck Elevated to JUSTICE LEAGUE Executive Producer

Ben-Affleck-Justice-League-050616-Dragonlord.jpg

Ben Affleck, who is already starring in Justice League as Batman, will now act as an executive producer on Warners’ mega-comic book that is already in production, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Zack Snyder is directing the movie but the move legitimizes Affleck as a creative voice in the moviemaking process. The actor-turned-filmmaker will work with Chris Terrio, his screenwriter from Argo and Batman v. Superman, to fine tune the script and he will also inform the post-production process, according to sources.

The move comes as BvS has come to the end of its box office run, grossing $864 million worldwide. While that number seems solid on paper, the studio was expecting more. The fan reaction and review also seemed a rejection of the dark tone created by the movie’s filmmaking team.

That stands in stark contrast to what some observers are calling the “demand of the marketplace,” pointing to Marvel Studios’ Captain America: Civil War, which has generated excellent reviews (it has 91 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) and could crack the top five box office openings of all time.

Ben Affleck Elevated to Executive Producer in Zack Snyder's 'Justice League' Movies

Update: April 19, 2016

Willem Dafoe Joins JUSTICE LEAGUE, Rumored to Be Playing an Atlantean

Willem-Dafoe-Justice-League-041916-Dragonlord.jpg

Willem Dafoe is joining the good guys in Justice League. The movie began production last week with Zack Snyder, fresh off of the worldwide tour promoting Batman v Superman, in the director’s chair.

Dafoe, who starred as the villainous Marvel character Green Goblin in Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man movies, is playing a good guy in a role that will see him appear in both parts of the JL movies. Details of his character, however, are being kept under lock and key.

A new rumor from Birth.Movies.Death says Dafoe will be playing an Atlantean - but no word on exactly whom. The rumor goes on to say they're altering the underwater scenes for Justice League and Aquaman with green screens and elaborate rigs instead of a water tank (the latter of which, thanks to his whole "ability to breathe underwater" power, requires a lot of breath-holding by star Jason Momoa). The green screen use will continue with much of Justice League, as Snyder plans to utilize it similarly to 300.

Dafoe memorably appeared in the Keanu Reeves action movie John Wick and recently wrapped shooting Legendary’s fantasy The Great Wall with Matt Damon.

Zack Snyder's 'Justice League' Adds Willem Dafoe to Cast, Will Play a Good Guy (Exclusive)

Update: March 17, 2016

Amber Heard Confirms Mera Casting in JUSTICE LEAGUE PART ONE

Amber-Heard-Mera-Aquaman-031716-Dragonlord.jpg

Amber Heard is ready to go under the sea and join the DC cinematic universe!

ET confirmed on Thursday that the 29-year-old actress has been cast as Mera, the undersea queen and wife of Aquaman in the DC Comics canon. Heard will make her first appearance as Mera in 2017's The Justice League Part One before appearing in the 2018 standalone Aquaman film opposite Game of Thrones star Jason Momoa.

The actress exclusively dished to ET's Katie Krause about her sea queen costume. "It's interesting. It's like, half suit of armor, half scales," Heard revealed. "It's strange... We're in the process of building it now, so it's coming along."

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice director Zack Snyder is set to helm the two-part Justice League films, while Furious 7's James Wan will be directing the Aquaman standalone feature.

Amber Heard Confirms Her 'Aquaman' Role in 'Justice League', Dishes on 'Interesting' Mera Costume (Exclusive)

Update: March 7, 2016

J.K. Simmons Cast as Commissioner Gordon in JUSTICE LEAGUE

JK-Simmons-Commissioner-Gordon-Dragonlord.jpg

The Justice League has found its Commissioner Gordon. Oscar winner J.K. Simmons has been cast as the Gotham City police commissioner.

Justice League, which will be directed by Zack Snyder, sees heroes Batman (Ben Affleck), Superman (Henry Cavill), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), Aquaman (Jason Momoa), The Flash (Ezra Miller) and Cyborg (Ray Fisher) teaming up to combat a threat beyond each member's capabilities.

Chris Terrio wrote the screenplay for Justice League, which will be released in two parts by Warner Bros. It's produced by Charles Roven, Zack Snyder and Deborah Snyder.

Justice League: Part One will start shooting in mid-April. It's slated for release on Nov 17, 2017 while Part Two will hit theaters on June 14, 2019. Warner Bros.' next DC film will beBatman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which hits theaters on March 25.

'Justice League' Adds Oscar-Winning Actor J.K. Simmons as Commissioner Gordon (Exclusive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back