Media Justin Gaethje: Do Bronx had his shot and didn’t show up for the rematch. It is what it is.

Meh I’m super down with either fight. I don’t give Justin much of a chance though. He looked so bad off his back with Khabib

Meh I’m super down with either fight. I don’t give Justin much of a chance though. He looked so bad off his back with Khabib

This. The only glimmer of hope I'd give Gaethje is the fact that Islam's chin isn't steel like Khabib's was. He would have to come into the fight looking to throw bombs and land one. Maybe get him concerned about the leg kicks and go upstairs.

Still, Islam would probably be a -400 or more favorite for good reason.

We all know Islam immediately takes him down and it's a wrap.

Sucks that Gaethje is so terrible at grappling.

I'm indifferent to Gaethje, and think he's had plenty of favoritism from the UFC already, but he was the only one to actually step up and fight an up and coming contender while Poirier and Chandler continue to jerk themselves off not wanting to fight anyone 'lower in rank' despite their rankings being inflated. I wouldn't mind him getting another title shot now considering the state of the division.

the d1 wrestler who would probably get subbed by a 12 year old vs lw's best wrestler

what an exciting fight

how fucking hilarious is it that him, poirier and chandler are in the top 5 because they keep fighting each other?

Justin’s already gotten blown out in two title fights… including one to the guy he’s downplaying.

Weird banter.

<KingstonFrown>

I'm indifferent to Gaethje, and think he's had plenty of favoritism from the UFC already, but he was the only one to actually step up and fight an up and coming contender while Poirier and Chandler continue to jerk themselves off not wanting to fight anyone 'lower in rank' despite their rankings being inflated. I wouldn't mind him getting another title shot now considering the state of the division.

Didn't Oliveira do the same thing as Gaethje? He fought Dariush.

the d1 wrestler who would probably get subbed by a 12 year old vs lw's best wrestler

what an exciting fight

how fucking hilarious is it that him, poirier and chandler are in the top 5 because they keep fighting each other?
Dana trying hard to make an American 155 champ.

This. The only glimmer of hope I'd give Gaethje is the fact that Islam's chin isn't steel like Khabib's was. He would have to come into the fight looking to throw bombs and land one. Maybe get him concerned about the leg kicks and go upstairs.

Still, Islam would probably be a -400 or more favorite for good reason.
Moreso I think Islam tends to engage more fully standing, Khabib tended to pick away from range and then shoot as soon as someone looked to close the distance.

The negative I think is Justins game in recent years is to slowly pick people apart not land a quick upset KO.

Would rather see Justin vs Islam tbh. Oliveira wasn't remotely competitive and seemed to give up mentally like he did in his early days.

Seeing some prolonged Islam vs. Justin on the feet would be super fun to watch.

Oliveira is my favorite lightweight, but yeah, Islam vs. Gaethje makes more sense. Gaethje presents a new challenge for Islam rather than another rematch. I also don’t think Oliveira is ready after only being one fight removed from that demolition. Rematches are often wasted too soon. I don’t think he’s in a place mentally to do anything differently. Maybe another win as well as getting more data on Islam will help his perspective to make their rematch more competitive and enticing for the viewers.

Islam beats Gaethje most likely, but I think it’ll be fun while it lasts. Unless Islam manages to take him down early. Then it’s just a squash match IMO. His stand up and striking defense have improved leaps and bounds though, so maybe he will be looking to feel it out on the feet. Picking him to win either way.

Love Charles, but I agree.

Plus, the first fight was pretty one-sided.

Hopefully Justin can put up a better scrap.

He definitely needs to keep it standing, as he has kind of shit grappling on the ground.

But Khabib did say that Gaethje hit the hardest that he's faced.

I feel like it's even worse that the Khabib fight for Gaethje. Sure Makhachev has lesser grappling than Khabib, but still more than enough to handle Gaethje with ease on the ground. But on the other hand Makhachev's striking is better than Khabib, so he could even pose problems to Gaethje there.

Didn't Oliveira do the same thing as Gaethje? He fought Dariush.
Yeah, I meant more of the trio of dorks in Gaethje/Chandler/Poirier they just kind of camped the top 5 despite not fighting anyone except each other for a few years.

Charles getting a rematch or Gaethje getting a shot seems fine. Gaethje is white with tattoos though, so Dana will probably try to make that happen if he can convince him to rant retarded MAGA shit.

When Gaethje is fighting smart he's got very good striking IQ
- Countered Cerrone for a KO
- Countered T-Fergs jab and broke it down with overhands, left hooks and leg kicks
- KO'd Barboza for trying to take a lazy exit (kept exiting to Gaethje's right)
- destroyed James Vicks career
- outstruck Fiziev backed behind a newfound jab
- KO'd Poirier with a well set up headkick... one of LW's best strikers.

Sure Gaethje has been goaded into brawls and dought sloppy but his body of work is becoming hard to ignore as more than just a guy who's tough.
JG has improved buy is still all about that granite chin , best leg kicks since Aldo an Shogun , a ton of power in strikes that do t look as hard as they are.

Either is fine for Islam next fight Charles did finish Dariush and had 3 defenses in his title reign agai st the best contenders .

Gaethje needs a title shot and if max is getting another shot at lw spotlight give him somone he can beat..like gamrot or fiz. Or hooker hes not banging with a heavy hitter like dp or jg

Gaethje shit the bed twice already and lost to the guy who "supposedly didnt show up and defend the title". He should shut up about it

Back