Justin Gaethje wants to prove "Islam Makhachev is not Khabib" after UFC 291 win

Arm Barbarian

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/7/...khachev-is-not-khabib-after-a-ufc-291-win-mma

Justin thinks that the Volk rematch is next for Islam, but says he wants a crack at him after that. Thinks he has what it takes to take him into deep waters.

“If we’re going off of what we know then it’s gonna be [Alexander] Volkanovski because he already fought him and it was a really close fight,” Gaethje told Shakiel Mahjouri. “I’ve never fought him, Poirier’s never fought him. I guess if you want to say someone it could be the 125-pound champion (Alexandre Pantoja). Who knocked him out? I was gonna make fun of [Brendan Schaub] ... I’ve made fun of him so much.

“I think Volkanovski is the answer for now, but I can’t wait to get in there. I know for a fact he’s not Khabib and I want to go in there and prove that.”

The UFC isn’t going to protect you,” Gaethje said. “It’s just the name of the game. You got to take time between these fights. Not just the fights but the training camp we just went through. I’ve just been through 12 weeks of training. Extremely hard, six days a week, and your body gets broken down. It’s something that you really got to focus on is understanding you gotta go through a healing process every single time you step in there.

“The physical aspect, but I would say even the mental aspect, is a traumatic life experience every time you step in there. And you really gotta take some time to heal every time you do that.”

Should the winner of Gaethje / Diamond get the next shot at the strap?

Last edited by a moderator:
Islam would hang on the outside, force Gaethje to overcommit and then either counter him or take him down and then dominate him. Makhachevs team isn't stupid, Gaethje has less than 10 minutes of cardio before he starts to gas, especially if he's forced to grapple or under any kind of pressure, Khabib knew how to pressure and break Gaethje using his style, they'll play around that according to Islam's as well. And Dustin? Dustin has horrible takedown defense, he'd get submitted probably round 2. LW division has become kinda bleak title shot wise.

He's right. Islam's chin is nothing like Khabib's and that's just a fact. Islam's striking defense however is far superior and is statistically the best ever in UFC history among those with > 10 fights. If Gaethje lands consistently on Islam for even 1 round, like he did on Khabib, then I believe he will knock Islam out. Easier said than done.

Poirier striking is much better than Gaatje
the guy rely on his leg kicks and his telegraphed right hand, when his opponent is hurt

Poirier knows his game, and wont fall in the leg kicks trap

Poirier by decision

Islam is actually better than Khabib in some aspects.

Don't be fooled by the Volk fight. Volk is a great fighter.

Islam would hang on the outside, force Gaethje to overcommit and then either counter him or take him down and then dominate him. Makhachevs team isn't stupid, Gaethje has less than 10 minutes of cardio before he starts to gas, especially if he's forced to grapple or under any kind of pressure, Khabib knew how to pressure and break Gaethje using his style, they'll play around that according to Islam's as well. And Dustin? Dustin has horrible takedown defense, he'd get submitted probably round 2. LW division has become kinda bleak title shot wise.

Hanging on the outside is one of the worst ideas with gaethje, especially a guy like islam who I've never seen check a kick in his life. Agree with the rest though.

What interests me though is gaethje saying he knows "for a fact" that islam isn't khabib. I wish he elaborated on that.

Maybe he is, maybe not... Good enough defensively to not get his legs chopped up, though? We do know for a fact that he is.

So weird how better fighters than Justin are able to fight more often than his 1-2 fights per year.

Sounds like he's doing something wrong.

Doesn't matter, Islam still runs through him and DP easily

Islam would hang on the outside even though we know if you pressure Gaethje he gasses and breaks?

<Varys01>

Back