Justin Wren Should Be in the Grand prix

blkgldreign

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I get it, they put all their "biggest names" in there. But the guy is an actual heavyweight with a great backstory, and hasn't even been announced as an alternate (to my limited knowledge). This would be a great platform to build the guys drawing power, doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Seems like a few too many blown up 205ers when they have actual talent at HW. Don't they haver a monster Russian too?

No he shouldn't. He's been fighting nothing but cans since he came back from the jungle and has looked like shit doing it.

He needs to fight someone legit before he gets a shot at guys like Fedor or Mir.

I love the grandprix as it is. It’s practically a Super Hluk tournament. It’s an 8 Man HW tournament with only 4 actual HWs, 3 LHWs, and 1 MW.

And of the fighters in the tournament for most, Prime was a really distant era.

Chael - Past Prime
King Mo - Past Prime
Rampage - lonnnngg Past Prime
Frank Mir - Long Past Prime
Fedor - Long Past Prime
Roy Nelson - Past Prime
Bader - Late edge of Prime
Mitrione - probably in his prime

Heck the only thing this tournament is missing is Minowaman and maybe TK as an alternate. They should be trying to get Gabi Garcia on the undercard.

Last edited:
No he shouldn't. He's been fighting nothing but cans since he came back from the jungle and has looked like shit doing it.

He needs to fight someone legit before he gets a shot at guys like Fedor or Mir.
he looked rough in his first 2 fights back but looked great in his last fight. id be okay with an ayala matchup as a reserve bout

Dudes too busy eating worms with midgets to realise his potential

From what I understand he's not interested in competing more than one time a year.

Fuck no he shouldnt. He doesnt deserve it. Sure hes a great guy but not a great fighter. Hes not exciting or have any name value. Whats even his best mma win?

Needs Congo, Sergei and Carwin.

Well name value got Bellator 194, 476,000 viewers for their name value Matt Mitrione vs Roy Nelson Bellator Heavyweight Tournament opening round card. Bellator devalued their own fan base by purposefully omitting their own Bellator legitimate Heavyweights like Bobby Lashley, 15-2, 5-0 in Bellator, Cheick Kongo, 27-10-2, 9-2 in Bellator, Justin Wren, 13-2, 3-0 in Bellator, Augusto Sakai, 10-1-1, 4-1-1 in Bellator, and even Sergei Kharitonov, 26-6, 1-1 in Bellator would have been a great addition to the Bellator Heavyweight Tournament. But so far the Bellator Heavyweight Tournament is one big FARCE. Two busted steroid cheaters, Chael Sonnen and Frank Mir, who is still serving his USADA TESTING steroid use suspension until March 20, 2018. Two Light Heavyweights that should be fighting against each other in a Bellator Light Heavyweight Title bout and Rampage Jackson, who fighting hunger comes and goes. Bellator will keep devaluing their fan base at every turn because they've got to make room for those ex-UFC aging fighters (lol).

If he fights nothing but cans, then why not put him in a against a legit opponent for an alternate bout? Not putting someone against a good opponent only because they have fought cans seems very counter-intuitive. Not only that, but who else could fill the other two alternate spots besides Wren?

People have been suggesting Tyrell Fortune for the tournament like crazy and he hasn't beat anyone either.

Wren is one of the few Bellator HW's on a 3 fight winning streak and it's not like the fighters in the tournament are at their best either. This is not 2006 Mir or Fedor we're talking about.

Last edited:
If he fights nothing but cans, then why not put him in a against a legit opponent for an alternate bout? Not putting someone against a good opponent only because they have fought cans seems very counter-intuitive. Not only that, but who else could fill the other two alternate spots besides Wren?

People have been suggesting Tyrell Fortune for the tournament like crazy and he hasn't beat anyone either.

Wren is one of the few Bellator HW's on a 3 fight winning streak and it's not like the fighters in the tournament are at their best either. This is not 2006 Mir or Fedor we're talking about.

Look at who's in the tournament. It's pretty much an all star cast of MMA fighters from the past 10 years. Most of them are well past their prime but that doesn't negate their legacy. Justin Wren was on the Kimbo TUF, lost on the finale show and then went to do humanitarian stuff in a jungle for years.

Now he came back to Bellator a year or two ago, fought guys with losing records and looked awful doing it. And you think he should be in this tournament with a 3 fight winning streak against nobodies that he barely beat? Get outta here.

This is a legacy tournament for fighters who have earned their spot.

Look at who's in the tournament. It's pretty much an all star cast of MMA fighters from the past 10 years. Most of them are well past their prime but that doesn't negate their legacy. Justin Wren was on the Kimbo TUF, lost on the finale show and then went to do humanitarian stuff in a jungle for years.

Now he came back to Bellator a year or two ago, fought guys with losing records and looked awful doing it. And you think he should be in this tournament with a 3 fight winning streak against nobodies that he barely beat? Get outta here.

This is a legacy tournament for fighters who have earned their spot.
I understand that his first two performances were shite, but Wren is probably the next best option for an alternate that Bellator currently has.

If this is just a legends tournament, then Javy Ayala shouldn't have that alternate spot, really. If we're only going by merit, Wren has a bigger claim to that spot than Ayala does. He was on one of the most popular TUFs in Rampage vs Evans.

Ayala is a one-hit wonder. Fortune has only had like 3 or 4 fights. Lashley is not willing to step-up. Unless they somehow sign Mirko Cro Cop, I believe Wren belongs as an alternate.

I understand that his first two performances were shite, but Wren is probably the next best option for an alternate that Bellator currently has.

If this is just a legends tournament, then Javy Ayala shouldn't have that alternate spot, really. If we're only going by merit, Wren has a bigger claim to that spot than Ayala does. He was on one of the most popular TUFs in Rampage vs Evans.

Ayala is a one-hit wonder. Fortune has only had like 3 or 4 fights. Lashley is not willing to step-up. Unless they somehow sign Mirko Cro Cop, I believe Wren belongs as an alternate.

Thanks for proving my point.

Javy Avala knocked out Sergei Kharitonov in seconds last year. He earned his spot as an alternate with a win like that.

It's difficult because there isn't a lot of replaceable guys. I'd have probably removed Bader and Mo. I personally am not interested in King Mo at all, and Bader could just be focusing on smashing at Light Heavyweight.

From there, the first pick to jump in would be Bobby Lashley. Especially now, as his time with TNA / Impact looks to be coming to an end. Now, Lashley is maybe looking at WWE as an option, which would create mass conflict with his Bellator contract and there's a legit chance Bellator loses him. On the win streak he's on, and based on his popularity, he would have been first ballot for me.

Next, you have Javy Ayala and Justin Wren. I feel Wren is the more "Bellator" of the two. The tournament lacks Bellator home grown talent, and I feel Wren should have got the shout.

I'd have then booked it like:-

Chael Sonnen Vs Frank Mir - Great stylistic match up.
Rampage Jackson Vs Fedor Emelianenko - Insane fight no one ever considered. Only chance for both to look good.
Matt Mitrione Vs Justin Wren - Legit HWs. Likely a win for Mitrione but good opportunity for Wren.
Roy Nelson Vs Bobby Lashley - Big Country overhand Vs Lashley wrestling. A tired Lashley in the third could set up a vicious KO.

Thanks for proving my point.

Javy Avala knocked out Sergei Kharitonov in seconds last year. He earned his spot as an alternate with a win like that.
You still haven't given me two names on the Bellator Heavyweight roster, besides Wren, who deserve the two remaining alternate spots.

The tournament is fine without him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back