Justyn Vicky died doing a 450 lb squat, age 33

Well then, as tragic as this is, it falls in the category of fuck around, find out. Why would you not use such a safety feature?
i don't know why people dont. lack of available equipment at the time is what im thinking. its another day at the office for them and all the safety racks are being used, they have only so much time. so they lift without them?

I wouldn't that's for sure

i don't know why people dont. lack of available equipment at the time is what im thinking. its another day at the office for them and all the safety racks are being used, they have only so much time. so they lift without them?

I wouldn't that's for sure
Not with literally 3x the guys weight ( 450lb ) thats just beyond stupid. Guy earned the Darwin award on this one.

In the video, it looks like the bar came down so far it pushed his chest as far as it would go down, and all that was left to move down was his neck which basicly broke away from his spine. Im suprised he wasn't declared dead at the scene.

They did an emergency surgery and he died shortly after that sir.
They said the nerves that run the heart etc, were totally fucked (paraphrasing) lol.

They did an emergency surgery and he died shortly after that sir.
They said the nerves that run the heart etc, were totally fucked (paraphrasing) lol.
I wonder how long it took for paramedics to get him the the ER. Must have been quick.

Yeah, in my city he would've been dead before they got there lol
Same. I hate to make jokes, but damn that was dumb. Its crazy to think how easy it is to kill yourself. I put heavy shit on my head when im carrying it all the time, not thinking twice about it. This is going to ( pun intended ) pop in my head everytime i want to use my head to carry something.

Same. I hate to make jokes, but damn that was dumb. Its crazy to think how easy it is to kill yourself. I put heavy shit on my head when im carrying it all the time, not thinking twice about it. This is going to ( pun intended ) pop in my head everytime i want to use my head to carry something.

I used to carry shit like that, haven't in awhile though.
Now I may never do it again lol...R.I.P to this poor bastad though.

I used to carry shit like that, haven't in awhile though.
Now I may never do it again lol...R.I.P to this poor bastad though.

michaelscott-wink.gif

I wouldn't say it is completely dumb AF. Creating goals can be extra motivating. I've mentioned this before a long time ago but when I was in my mid/later 20s I was stagnating and just going through the motions of weight lifting and exercising. One day this big Army sergeant (worked out at an Army base) asked me to spot him and I obliged. We had spotted each other before so no biggie. Of course small talks ensues and I casually said I wished I could lift 2 plates. he looked at me quizzically and was like "son you can life 2 plates if you really tried. you just pussyfoot and flirt around this gym all day long instead of taking it seriously". I was nahhh man i can't lift 2 plates I only weigh 148lbs... no way.. but i had solid form and i was overly cautious and he knew that i could do it. Anyway he told me I could lift 3 playes in 3 months if I lifted with him. I am like 3 plates.. thats more than twice my weight.. no way. A few people around us heard our casual convo and wanted in on this training regiment. Another friend tagged along and we formed a small lifting group following the sergeant's routine. In less than 3 months I repped 325lbs twice (2nd one i needed help). Sounds phenomenal but I wasn't actually that weak. I had been able to lift with a lot of reps (slow, bursting reps, etc..) and I wasn't that far off 2 plates. I was just afraid of the weight. But we had a team (lots of spotters) and the sarg made sure we did everything with proper form.

So I will say that maxing out isn't dumb. But you definitely need a team of spotters and like-minded people. I never spotted casually and I don't expect anyone else to do the same. I consider spotting an art. That feathery light touch that can magically help you finish that final rep is an artform. And most of the lifters on the team had also reached or got really close to 315 so it was a really cool experience for a bunch of us who were scared of lifting heavy.

But maxing out on your own or without enough spotters is definitely dumb AF.

Unless you're a professional lifter there's zero fucking reason to ever attempt a max. Don't even bother. It's just not worth it.

For my personal requirements. If I’m doing heavy weight, all bench and squats are done inside a squat rack with pipe and pin safeties. Preferably with Westside spacing if available for that extra adjustability. These safeties allow me to bail in a more controlled manner that doesn’t send everything bouncing barring catastrophic injury.

Another idiotic thing I’ve seen are racks that are not properly secured to a platform or floor that wind up flipping due to dropped weights. If your gym does that, find a new gym.

Random person: oh no what happened?

Heavy Lifters: he was trying to squat 1000lbs with his neck and it snapped… was a freak accident.

Random person: wow, I wouldn’t have expected that to happen either…

Did the spotter add a plate after he died?

Not a joke, not being dismissive, in all seriousness: Low bar squats FTW. I've never squatted with the bar on my neck strictly speaking.

lowbarhighbarquat.jpg

Maybe this comes from lifting alone for so many years, but if you're not lifting with your own safety in mind, then you're asking for trouble. Even if you do have spotters or are lifting in a public gym, if you haven't set yourself up to not get pinned on a bench, crushed by a squat, etc., then the worst can happen. On a squat, you've got to make it easy to bail safely.

Thats rough to watch. I always preferred to keep the bar lower. Would just drop it behind if too heavy
This, the bar should be as low as possible on the traps so that you can drop it backwards if needed (and it's more comfortable than on the neck as well).

Why the hell was he not using a safety cage/rack when squatting? From the video it looks like there would be one there. This kind of shit scares me to be honest.

R.I.P

For my personal requirements. If I’m doing heavy weight, all bench and squats are done inside a squat rack with pipe and pin safeties. Preferably with Westside spacing if available for that extra adjustability. These safeties allow me to bail in a more controlled manner that doesn’t send everything bouncing barring catastrophic injury.

Another idiotic thing I’ve seen are racks that are not properly secured to a platform or floor that wind up flipping due to dropped weights. If your gym does that, find a new gym.
Westside spacing is crucial

Not a joke, not being dismissive, in all seriousness: Low bar squats FTW. I've never squatted with the bar on my neck strictly speaking.

lowbarhighbarquat.jpg

Maybe this comes from lifting alone for so many years, but if you're not lifting with your own safety in mind, then you're asking for trouble. Even if you do have spotters or are lifting in a public gym, if you haven't set yourself up to not get pinned on a bench, crushed by a squat, etc., then the worst can happen. On a squat, you've got to make it easy to bail safely.
For bodybuilders targeting the quads a higher bar position makes sense
But bodybuilders dont max out so i dont know what he was thinking

Back