Law Kamala Harris announces new office to implement ‘red flag’ gun control laws

Did you?

"Communities have leveraged funding from President Biden’s American Rescue Plan to reduce crime:

Detroit invested more than $100 million for public safety, including to pay bonuses that enabled the city to hire 200 new police officers, advance community violence intervention, and expand teams of police and mental health professionals who can respond to people in crisis. In 2023, Detroit had its fewest homicides since 1966, with an 18% decline from 2022.

Milwaukee invested over $40 million to pay new officers engaging in community policing, fund gun crime investigations, and increase the number of dispatchers to handle 911 calls. The city improved city street lighting, supported community violence intervention efforts, and expanded summer programs for at-risk youth. The city and county of Milwaukee also partnered with the state of Wisconsin to invest $28 million more on anti-violence efforts, including to reduce dramatically the court backlog of violent crime cases. In 2023, homicides in Milwaukee dropped 20%.

Philadelphia invested millions in group-violence intervention and community crisis intervention programs. It also partnered with the state of Pennsylvania to devote $45 million more to upgrade the city’s crime lab, reduce gun violence, and investigate and prosecute violent gun crimes, as well as further support violence intervention and prevention. In 2023, Philadelphia experienced significant crime declines, including a 20% drop in homicides and a 28% decline in nonfatal shootings.

Chicago invested $100 million for public safety, including $16 million for community violence intervention focused on those at the highest risk of violence, $15 million to support alternative responders for 911 calls involving health crises, $30 million for youth intervention and diversion programs, and $10 million to support victims of crime. In addition to these targeted investments to reduce violence, Chicago is making additional significant investments to expand opportunity for young people – including hiring nearly 25,000 young people over the summer and investing $53 million for youth employment programs. Chicago also received $6.25 million in grants from the Department of Justice to hire or retain 50 additional officers. Chicago saw a 13% drop in homicides in 2023, and nonfatal shootings declined 17%."

So now that your bullshit "we need to do something about gang violence first" excuse is ruined...You support keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, right?
Where do you live? Ask anyone that lives in those cities if they feel safer. I am in Detroit 3x a year, Philly every other month, and Chicago a few times a year....I live in NY...You can't have improvements when DA's are not prosecuting. These programs are helping but the cops need support from the DA's. I am fine with throwing the book at people with illegal guns. But no one else is because "That's racist". Chicago and Memphis alone on a summer weekend will have more gun violence than 10 years of school shootings. Not to mention so many that go unreported. I love the funds to empower the police and programs for youth, I truly do. We just need to back those programs up.

Where do you live? Ask anyone that lives in those cities if they feel safer. I am in Detroit 3x a year, Philly every other month, and Chicago a few times a year....I live in NY...You can't have improvements when DA's are not prosecuting. These programs are helping but the cops need support from the DA's. I am fine with throwing the book at people with illegal guns. But no one else is because "That's racist". Chicago and Memphis alone on a summer weekend will have more gun violence than 10 years of school shootings. Not to mention so many that go unreported. I love the funds to empower the police and programs for youth, I truly do. We just need to back those programs up.

That's fine, it's ultimately on the state and local government to use these funds in the most effective manner. If you look at our conversation before this post, this only came up because the other poster insisted the federal government do something about gang violence before supporting enforcing red flag laws.

I know it might sounds crazy, but I think one of the reason why conservatives are against gun control is because they wants to feel like they would fit in with all of the characters from Top Gun. This is because, despite the fact that many of them are poor by American standards, Americans are generally very comfortable and can afford to worry about things like wether or not they can have a gun that makes them feel cool. Guys that love guns are the same guys that love war movies, big trucks, hot blondes, and rural, free living. This “dude” is pushed so hard by American culture that it’s become an identity to many right wingers. Gun control is a proposal that would diminish their capability to fulfill that identity. Many conservatives won’t admit this outright, but guns are a big part of their personality.

Oh no, hot blondes is a bad thing? Bullshit. I wouldn’t say I love guns, but I am very fond of the second amendment. I hate big trucks and don’t think I am anything like anyone in top gun. And yeah, war movies are cool. What’s funny is that you think that stereotyping conservatives or gun lovers like some redneck hicks makes some point, but it doesn’t make the point you think it does. It only shows your own ignorance.

I own one gun that I purchased on my own, a .40 beretta storm carbine. May get a handgun at some point besides the big ass .357 I inherited from my dad. I am an educated retired cop with a masters degree and I know a lot of highly educated gun owners, some are even liberals.

I am not against red flag laws, but I worry how they would implement them and how long they remove someone’s constitutional rights to own a firearm while recent ruling gives that right to non citizens that can’t register to vote (which they will try to change) but can own a firearm. Do they remove guns from everyone on antidepressants? Other psych meds? That’s where the problem is. Some nut that is threatening to shoot up a school-yeah, take their guns. Someone that attempts suicide-ok, for a time. But how does one get their guns back? How do you prove you deserve to have your rights restored?

And when people say to enforce the laws on the books, they mean the laws on the books. Some felon shoots someone, they should get massive amounts of time because felons kill more people everyday and are responsible for most shootings. In all my years in law enforcement, I only know one shooting (a murder) that wasn’t committed by a multiple time felon-and they get out in a year. In the most restrictive gun areas (Chicago and nyc and California) felons and thugs shoot people and get caught with guns all the time and they don’t want to enforce the laws until a conservative violates the gun laws. kim fox and alvin bragg and larry krasner-(Philly)-the respective DAs of those areas) don’t want to prosecute felons based upon their race because they are so progressive. krasner blames the nra for all the shootings in his city but has said on multiple occasions that he won’t prosecute felons in possession of firearms because it’s mostly black and brown suspects and he doesn’t want to incarcerate more because of race. However, they would love to stop everyone else from owning guns and if they could wave a wand and make the second go away, they would. Fuck them.

And I am not a conservative btw

So you can lose your constitutional rights for accusations of harsh language? Clown world.

Domestic assault is words or actions that place a family member in fear of physical harm. An arrest temporarily removes their guns until after the trial. Threatening to bash your wife’s head in while cocking back your fist should get your guns taken on a temporary basis until the threat is evaluated. Most often, the charges are dropped anyway.

In a country of 300 million people with at least that many guns, this seems utterly unenforceable

Did you?

"Communities have leveraged funding from President Biden’s American Rescue Plan to reduce crime:

Detroit invested more than $100 million for public safety, including to pay bonuses that enabled the city to hire 200 new police officers, advance community violence intervention, and expand teams of police and mental health professionals who can respond to people in crisis. In 2023, Detroit had its fewest homicides since 1966, with an 18% decline from 2022.

Milwaukee invested over $40 million to pay new officers engaging in community policing, fund gun crime investigations, and increase the number of dispatchers to handle 911 calls. The city improved city street lighting, supported community violence intervention efforts, and expanded summer programs for at-risk youth. The city and county of Milwaukee also partnered with the state of Wisconsin to invest $28 million more on anti-violence efforts, including to reduce dramatically the court backlog of violent crime cases. In 2023, homicides in Milwaukee dropped 20%.

Philadelphia invested millions in group-violence intervention and community crisis intervention programs. It also partnered with the state of Pennsylvania to devote $45 million more to upgrade the city’s crime lab, reduce gun violence, and investigate and prosecute violent gun crimes, as well as further support violence intervention and prevention. In 2023, Philadelphia experienced significant crime declines, including a 20% drop in homicides and a 28% decline in nonfatal shootings.

Chicago invested $100 million for public safety, including $16 million for community violence intervention focused on those at the highest risk of violence, $15 million to support alternative responders for 911 calls involving health crises, $30 million for youth intervention and diversion programs, and $10 million to support victims of crime. In addition to these targeted investments to reduce violence, Chicago is making additional significant investments to expand opportunity for young people – including hiring nearly 25,000 young people over the summer and investing $53 million for youth employment programs. Chicago also received $6.25 million in grants from the Department of Justice to hire or retain 50 additional officers. Chicago saw a 13% drop in homicides in 2023, and nonfatal shootings declined 17%."

So now that your bullshit "we need to do something about gang violence first" excuse is ruined...You support keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, right?

Nothing there changes the fact he's taking credit for nothing. Violent crime spiked during the pandemic. These reductions are compared to the pandemic years when it spiked.

He's just waving pom poms for the sniffer. As usual.

Wasn’t there a dad of one of the victims who criticized Harris‘s visit saying it was a “slap in the face?”
I read it somewhere but I forgot the guys name.

Also here in California there has been a red flag law for sometime and recently was reconfigured to conform to the current DVRO protocol and is called GVRO (Gun Violence Restraining Order).

As a legal gun owner with a concealed carry permit, and in full possession of my senses, I’m not worried about it.

But as has been stated if district attorneys refuse to charge individuals with crimes, the law cannot be effectively enforced.

Btw, some of the partisan political hackery in some of these posts is just moronic and does nothing to dignify the discussion.
(looking at you koppe)

Last edited:
Seems like a small step in the right direction. Good to see my old childhood classmate helping to lead the charge. You go girl.
Damn you're old. No wonder you're always showing symptoms of dementia

Some judges do and others do not.

So if the judge find reason they will.

Cops should not just be able to just take someone's guns on anyone's say so unless they have one on them and committed a crime.

Removing a right should always require due process.

Red flag laws: Great idea! Terrible execution!

Government laws in a nutshell.

Nothing there changes the fact he's taking credit for nothing. Violent crime spiked during the pandemic. These reductions are compared to the pandemic years when it spiked.

Based on what you're trying to argue, sure it does. The federal government is making funds available to cities (where gang violence is most prevalent) to hire more officers, implement programs targeting at-risk youth, hire dispatchers, etc. These are efforts to combat gang violence implemented by the federal government back in 2021.

So I'll ask again...Now that you can't hide behind your strawman anymore, do you support efforts to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill?

Not going to answer the question. Got it. Concession noted.

If someone has spent time in a mental institution then I think treating them the same way we treat felons when it comes to gun ownership is reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back