News Kamaru Usman has now more finishes in title defenses than GSP @ WW

I don't think that Usman would have to match GSP's number of title defenses in order to surpass him as the WW GOAT as Usman is fighting better, more evolved competition. I'd say that after about 3 more title defenses I could see Usman as the WW GOAT.

If he wins a couple more fights like that hes gonna be up there with GSP

That MW belt GSP won is gonna really look good though historically

Usman: 2 finishes: Colby(TKO) and Burns(TKO)
GSP: 1 finish: BJ Penn (corner stoppage)

Does he have the potential to surpass GSP and become the WW GOAT?

Can you imagine puny Penn fighting Usman? Thats the scope of the level of competition GSP faced vs today's era, he was getting finished by midgets and having trilogies with them, any top 5 ww today embarrasses "prime" GSP.

I must say that this is a very interesting perspective that really makes me look at Usman differently.. thank goodness for Usman he got the decision victories done before becoming champ and having the attention, because in my eyes he's 66.7% exciting in title defeneses.. and 50% exciting so far in title fights... crazy to think how dominate GSP was but in actual title defenses only had 1 finish at WW. Like I remember him being a decision fighter.. but thank you for painting this perspective.. because it does mean respect is due to Usman.

I mean.. he's even passed Woodley for finishes in title defenses.. Woodley didn't even have 1 TKO/KO other than to win the belt.. Respect Usman.. I still don't like you.. lol But Respect.

Another fight that showed St. Pierre would beat Usman. The dynamic levels St. Pierre fights at is at an entire different climate. The speed and the control St. Pierre offers is far greater than that of Usman.

But I love me some Usman. Good to see him come back after that shot he took. It seemed like he was stumbling after ever strike. I was worried he wouldn't survive that much longer. What a warrior.

War Usman. I do hope he sets records. They are meant to be beat right.

Yes, we get it; [insert current champ here] is incomprehensibly better than [insert former champ here] immediately after a win. Just as the GOAT title apparently changes hands like hot cakes depending on which active champ won most recently and is freshest in the minds of the rabid fanbase.

Usman has a suspect hairline. Look into it.

dont think he will ever surpass gsp solely due to competition WW is a good division but usman has already pretty much cleared it but during gsp's reign it was the golden era of that division where he beat the following guys in their prime:

Matt Hughes
BJ Penn
Nick Diaz
Carlos Condit
Sean Sherk
Jake Shields

That's how you came to the conclusion that GSP would "kill" him?

Burns would smoke every opponent GSP has fought except for maybe Hendricks.
Nope.

Alves, Condit, Diaz, Hendricks, Fitch, Koscheck would all give him hell.

At best he goes 3-3 against those guys.

I could totally see prime Usman beat prime GSP. Let's see if Usman can beat GSP's title record first.

GSP may not have the finish rate but he completely dominated guys and hardly ever even lost a round.

fb091302b84c17bca708a71f6ba56721.jpg

I have no perspective on a fighters resume and who they have fought. bit when I hear a guy is 17-1. And beat up old and outsized . And Maia. And rda. Had a good fight with edwards along time ago. And a great fight with Covington. And a 5 rounder with madvidal who took it on 5 days notice who’s been fighting forever.

I mean. As a standard for the greatest fighters I. Prize fighting. How could you snob your nose at an 18-1. Fighter and not say he’s the best to ever do it??

GSP may not have the finish rate but he completely dominated guys and hardly ever even lost a round.

fb091302b84c17bca708a71f6ba56721.jpg

he has a significantly higher fiiishinf rate than usman.
As absurd D that sounds

Nope.

Alves, Condit, Diaz, Hendricks, Fitch, Koscheck would all give him hell.

At best he goes 3-3 against those guys.
Lol @ Usman losing to Diaz, Thiago, Fitch or Kos. I'll give you Hendricks since he was pretty beastly for a bit, but you need to take into account just how much bigger Kamaru is than most of those guys. That's a key thing.

Back