Karate Combat, drama, and an attempt at a new league

JohnPJones

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Idk if anyone here is still following KC, but the board and new president seem hellbent on telling the promotion’s core audience to fuck off in favor of (possibly) greater short term profits.

KC has recently expanded into BJJ competitions, weird but ok, it started off as its own separate event…then they threw it the main ‘karate’ event as well. They’ve been recruiting and signing fighters with 0 karate background. The last event also had a weird crypto focus, with crypto influencer fights.

I don’t like it, and it doesn’t seem anyone else from the core audience likes it either.

As a result I’m trying to get funding for a new promotion.

We should gofundme a Sherdog fighting league where Users get paid to fight each other. Settle those online beefs.
It would be too dangerous. Most Sherdoggers can easily bench 500lbs and have natural knockout power.

And that's just the untrained guys. The ones that actually train are like Godzilla.

It's the reason we keep our beef online. Fighting in the real world could lead the the extinction of the human race.

I've stopped following Karate Combat. There's no karate. It was great at first when you had sport karate guys ko'ing eachother. The last time I was excited for it was Aghayev vs. Daniels. But otherwise it's second rate kickboxing now, which loses all of the stylistic fun of the original concept.

I like Karate Combat a lot. I like how they had TMA black belts & also how MMA fighters would often enter and compete. I like the recent rule change where the punching on the ground won't be stopped as long as it is landing & is considered effective.

I don't know if I like the recent BJJ matches brought into the event & I definitely don't like the freakshow fights that they have had recently. I hope they go back to their roots because I think it is a fun & enjoyable event.

The Craig Jones vs Phil Rowe match was pretty cool. He landed a triangle off the pit wall for f sake.

It brought heaps of people to their show.

The main issue seems to be that karate isn't necessarily the dominant style anymore, because kickboxers are doing well. Just like with what happened in K1. You see some good striking battles there and there follow up finishes are excellent to be honest.

We should gofundme a Sherdog fighting league where Users get paid to fight each other. Settle those online beefs.
I just picture you looking exactly like your avatar just becoming the Sherdog champion of Karate combat, standing over the fallen 6,5 250lb A class athletes that only post on this forum instead of winning UFC gold for some reason.

I think it's because when you let karate evolve in a minimal rule, full contact non point fighting setting, it pretty much turns into kick boxing anyways.

I watched the first twelve events or so but I think the evolution was palpable. The elegant in and out long range linear stylists were increasingly getting beaten by guys going in the pocket and throwing hooks. These guys were very cleary training in MMA.

I think it's because when you let karate evolve in a minimal rule, full contact non point fighting setting, it pretty much turns into kick boxing anyways.

I watched the first twelve events or so but I think the evolution was palpable. The elegant in and out long range linear stylists were increasingly getting beaten by guys going in the pocket and throwing hooks. These guys were very cleary training in MMA.
Not all karate styles are linear. Also ofc point karate remowes grappling elements ...
Also there is stuff that not all karate guys are obsessed with TMA, some % of them had trained KB etc and therefore might go in pocket and throw hook and half hooks...

Not all karate styles are linear. Also ofc point karate remowes grappling elements ...
Also there is stuff that not all karate guys are obsessed with TMA, some % of them had trained KB etc and therefore might go in pocket and throw hook and half hooks...
Yes I know kyokushin and Knockdown karate styles are not linear. But if I am not mistaken they were not very prevalent in karate combat?

Yes I know kyokushin and Knockdown karate styles are not linear. But if I am not mistaken they were not very prevalent in karate combat?
You aren't wrong.
While KK is more linear than Wado etc...
Also reality is that not all competitive karatekas are against cross training, pretty opposite.

Shidokan Karate is an example of non-linear karate. Shidokan strong karate rules allows throws and some limited grappling. We are taught to circle unless positioned to throw a lot of techniques. The pro fights in some cases include rounds of bare knuckle Shidokan strong rules, rounds of Muay Thai rules and finally rounds of MMA rules. A pro fighter may compete in 3 fights in a night. That is where the first rounds of bare knuckle Shidokan strong rules can hurt you as you may not be able to stand on your feet or have really sore ribs you must overcome in subsequent fights. A Gracie (I think it was Roy) was quoted as being very impressed with the fights. I like this format as you get the see the strengths and weakness of the fighters and the strategies they use to play to their strenghts better than MMA which really is a fight with less rules than other competition where some guys just do their strengths during the entire fight, However I enjoy watching MMA too. Our guys have competed in bare knuckle Shidokan strong rule fights, muay thai, kick boxing, boxing, Sanshou, bare knuckle Kyorsushin (no throws), Judo,. Jujisu. and MMA They win and lose and usually at a disadvantage with an art's good fighters since they train in so many differnet disiplines. Another thing I like about this Karate as I believe it is good for self defense but you get to enjoy the beauty of traditional karate. As I get older, I still train in self defense, no longer for competion but really like the Katas as good for fitness and you can still compete in them so it makes you train harder. I believe Karate proves a lot more effective in self defense than competion as you are not likely to face a seasoned fighter if you have to defend yourself provided you are very respectful,. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Shidokan Karate is an example of non-linear karate. Shidokan strong karate rules allows throws and some limited grappling. We are taught to circle unless positioned to throw a lot of techniques. The pro fights in some cases include rounds of bare knuckle Shidokan strong rules, rounds of Muay Thai rules and finally rounds of MMA rules. A pro fighter may compete in 3 fights in a night. That is where the first rounds of bare knuckle Shidokan strong rules can hurt you as you may not be able to stand on your feet or have really sore ribs you must overcome in subsequent fights. A Gracie (I think it was Roy) was quoted as being very impressed with the fights. I like this format as you get the see the strengths and weakness of the fighters and the strategies they use to play to their strenghts better than MMA which really is a fight with less rules than other competition where some guys just do their strengths during the entire fight, However I enjoy watching MMA too. Our guys have competed in bare knuckle Shidokan strong rule fights, muay thai, kick boxing, boxing, Sanshou, bare knuckle Kyorsushin (no throws), Judo and Jujisu. They win and lose and usually at a disadvantage with an art's good fighters since they train in so many differnet disiplines. Another thing I like about this Karate as I believe it is good for self defense but you get to enjoy the beauty of traditional karate. As I get older, I still train in self defense, no longer for competion but really like the Katas as good for fitness and you can still compete in them so it makes you train harder. I believe Karate proves a lot more effective in self defense than competion as you are not likely to face a seasoned fighter if you have to defend yourself provided you are very respectful,. My 2 cents.
Yes shidokan is awesome. Very rare though. Would take it of it existed anywhere near me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back