Karate or MMA striking?

oldmansmoker

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
As I get older, I find it harder to run and do burpees, because I've been doing them for so many years. I was looking to learn some fancy looking standup to get cardio in on the heavy bag.

I've been looking at kyokushin karate and shotokan. But it seems we only have kyokushin in my area. Karate looks dangerous ,because they don't use protection. It looks like these guys go 100 % too. So would MMA classes be safer in general due to equipment, practitioners and actually being able to protect your head.

What's the best , pussy standup for a guy like me to learn to use on heavy bag for cardio.

I think it depends exactly from : instructor, gym and guys in gym.
-
Boxing it think is good choice.
Kyokushin : usually they don't beat you at all initially, especially during first months and some senseis are helpful and will take in account your needs too.
-
Semi contact styles, there too it depends.
Again the same: instructor, gym, guys in this gym.
#
I think it is good idea collect info and opinions from guys that are using gyms/ clubs in your area.

As I get older, I find it harder to run and do burpees, because I've been doing them for so many years. I was looking to learn some fancy looking standup to get cardio in on the heavy bag.

I've been looking at kyokushin karate and shotokan. But it seems we only have kyokushin in my area. Karate looks dangerous ,because they don't use protection. It looks like these guys go 100 % too. So would MMA classes be safer in general due to equipment, practitioners and actually being able to protect your head.

What's the best , pussy standup for a guy like me to learn to use on heavy bag for cardio.
Tae bo

posted to see if I'll bite?

I've tabled karate. This style thingy has been debated endlessly on MMA forums, typically not accepted.

I have been avoiding the local TKD outfit. Something turns me off about TKD.

<{1-15}>I think for MMA, it's best to think & train like a boxer.... 'cept they clearly can't do that.

Do boxing if you're mainly looking for a decent cardio workout.

Hit up a cardio kickboxing program at an mma gym

Running and Burpees are easier on your body than any authentic MA/MMA training.

I run 5K and S&C to augment my MA training....

If you want hard striking skills to to kyokushin, it's a very hard style of karate that breeds a lot of toughness - plus you don't get punched in the head (although you can be kicked).

If you're looking for fitness ans hitting the bag, I'd probably say MMA - but kyokushin will probably have exercises that can help your body stay in shape through age.

i don't know if MMA classes would be safer or not, but no matter where you train wearing gloves and headgear can give you a bit of a false sense of security regarding protecting your head. i've heard that the headgear only protects you against cuts/bruising, and does nothing for your brain. getting popped in the head with it still rattles the brain

People checking in to a boxing gym just to work cardio on the heavy bag is pretty widespread.

Not sure how many karate dojos are set up but i imagine people just dropping in whenever to get a workout isn't that common.

I have done Shotokan for 20 years. There are two main branches - JKA style and SKA style. I started in JKA and transitioned to SKA Shotokan under Sensei Ohshima. If you get the right instructor, they both are very good.

I am not a fan of kyokushin. It will destroy your body. Sure, there are some tough dudes in that style. Very tough. But, it will destroy you. I am 58 and still going strong. That wouldn't be the case in kyokushin.

Basically karate seeks one primary goal - the development of fighting spirit.

Kyokushin does this by beating the living crap out of you physically. It works. But, the cost is high.

SKA Shotokan does this by pushing you beyond what you think are your limits physically and you learn the only limits you have are your mind. We will regularly do a thousand kicks, or 50 kata, or sit in kiba dachi for an hour and a half. We have special trainings for 3-4 days that emphasize this exact thing. The best part is that it builds you up and doesn't tear you down like kyokushin.

Boxing. 100%.

If you just want a killer workout it cant be beat (and is usually available and cheap).

if you're just looking for a work do some boxercize

It really depends on your goals and situation

the main thing is you get what you want, who cares if its not bang worthy

Really, you get your money's worth at most combat gyms, they'll make you work so you'll get a good workout, even if its subpart striking technique at a MMA gym. KK gyms are rough, if you're an older cat who's just looking to get fit with more of a cardio element into it, I might steer away from it.

People checking in to a boxing gym just to work cardio on the heavy bag is pretty widespread.
<PlusJuan>
From my initial postings / look... so so true about boxing. Boxings got built conditioning that pushes one in the right direction.

Not sure how many karate dojos are set up but i imagine people just dropping in whenever to get a workout isn't that common.
Yeah, for sure. Again, my initial look on YT found examples from the inactive, to the lazy, inactive, to the ridiculous.<{MindBrown}>

It really depends on your goals and situation
Sound like a gym marketing brochure...<{UberTS}>

the main thing is you get what you want, who cares if its not bang worthy
Oh, oh, the McDojo syndrome is present elsewhere.<Kpop775>

Really, you get your money's worth at most combat gyms, they'll make you work so you'll get a good workout, even if its subpart striking technique at a MMA gym.
Going back to my initial investigations, this was my turn-off about the local TKD joint. OTOH, what I've found this that karate isn't for muscle heads & gym cellar dwellers... so typical of MMA.{<Scared}

KK gyms are rough, if you're an older cat who's just looking to get fit with more of a cardio element into it, I might steer away from it.
And IMO, the above quote is what has depleted & deteriorated Kyokushin. The wanna bang syndrome. Combat gym then the ticket... if one wants to get one's head knocked off.<HisEye>

<Aug3>Lost in randori Saturday. Maybe by summer, I'll turn it on!

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/why-do-accomplished-runners-do-so-poorly-at-mma-cardio.3951245/

I did Kyokushin and I am presently training in MMA striking. Kyokushin was way harder on the body. Bare knuckle Karate blows to the body cause bruising and internal bleeding so I would have small dark bruises which would grow really big over night as the blood spread. Could that be adopted as a lifestyle choice? Yes but there was a way of doing it. You would start a little early in life and then fight under knockdown rules until you felt that you have had enough. After that, you would get into teaching and then maintain your speed, reflexes and conditioning by sparring with your students. Now Kyokushin blue belt is a tough MOFO and they dont care whether you are 15 or 50. They will train you to be a freakin' tank and you better be able to stand there and take the punishment otherwise you will not go up the belt ladder.

MMA striking and Muay Thai is more technical and easier on the body. Gloves and padding means you can still walk the next day and that matters a lot.

I did Kyokushin and I am presently training in MMA striking. Kyokushin was way harder on the body. Bare knuckle Karate blows to the body cause bruising and internal bleeding so I would have small dark bruises which would grow really big over night as the blood spread. Could that be adopted as a lifestyle choice? Yes but there was a way of doing it. You would start a little early in life and then fight under knockdown rules until you felt that you have had enough. After that, you would get into teaching and then maintain your speed, reflexes and conditioning by sparring with your students. Now Kyokushin blue belt is a tough MOFO and they dont care whether you are 15 or 50. They will train you to be a freakin' tank and you better be able to stand there and take the punishment otherwise you will not go up the belt ladder.

MMA striking and Muay Thai is more technical and easier on the body. Gloves and padding means you can still walk the next day and that matters a lot.

Kyokushin IS AWESOME MAN

Jon Jones, GSP, cro cop and adesanya all use it

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ate-in-ufc-adesanya-gsp-jones-crocop.3912081/

Back