Kettlebell deadlifts

kettlebell deadlift is better than no deadlift but the weight is probabaly too small.
you would be better off doing swings with a kb if you wann train the posterior chain.

monster-bell-comparison-web1-new.jpg

giphy.gif

I like what's already been said though - better than no DL at all.

I was thinking of getting a 105lbs kettlebell for deads. I like to do military style workouts and wanted something requiring little space and setup.

I was thinking of getting a 105lbs kettlebell for deads. I like to do military style workouts and wanted something requiring little space and setup.

i think you would be better off doing the classic kb exercises including swings and stuff like double kb front squats with the normal sizes than investing in a huge kettlebell just to mimic deadlifts. what else could you do with a 105 lbs. kb besides a very light deadlift, some carries or swings? one armed floor presses maybe.

could you press it or do a goblet squat with it?

you could buy one of these super strong bands for powerlifters and try to do a band deadlift.

what else could you do with a 105 lbs. kb besides a very light deadlift, some carries or swings? one armed floor presses maybe.

could you press it or do a goblet squat with it?.
Turkish get ups.

i think you would be better off doing the classic kb exercises including swings and stuff like double kb front squats with the normal sizes than investing in a huge kettlebell just to mimic deadlifts. what else could you do with a 105 lbs. kb besides a very light deadlift, some carries or swings? one armed floor presses maybe.

could you press it or do a goblet squat with it?

you could buy one of these super strong bands for powerlifters and try to do a band deadlift.
I could probably only do 1 goblet squat with a 100lbs KB before my arms fatigue. Maybe I’m better off with deadlifting 2 heavy dumbbells.

The swing will get you more training effect with any KB you would reasonably have- more force production over a longer range of motion with the exact same muscles. Barbell or trap bar is still better for max strength development, but it's not unreasonable for someone to see carryover from heavy KB swings to deadlift strength, especially if they don't have high max strength to begin with.

Oh and you can do them with a T-handle, which is plate-loadable and you can build for like 40 bucks.

Nah. I just checked my old log and I did a 100 lb Turkish getup four months after I started lifting.

Unless it's got a rubberized coating or something I feel like you'd run the risk of breaking that thing. Solid iron and a few rough landings (which are inevitable)..... crack.

Nah. I just checked my old log and I did a 100 lb Turkish getup four months after I started lifting.
Good for you. That's a heavy TUG and not something most people can do easily, without dedicated training.

You should record a vid! If you did that after 4 months of lifting you must have an even better one now!

Last edited:
I don't think I ever did even a single TGU after that. And I don't lift anymore.

Back