Media Kevin Holland in good spirits after his loss to Marvin Vettori at UFC Vegas 23

Damn, the MMA is such an unforgiving sport.

In terms of winning streaks and overall activity you could argue that he was Dana's favorite fighter in 2020.

We're four months in 2021 and now you could argue - judging on Dana's reaction while watching fight Brunson - that's he's that close to being cut.

We'll be able to tell by his next opponent. If they give Holland another wrestler, they might be trying to drop him..

Imagine going 5 - 0 in one year then cut the next?

This guy and mike perry are cut from the same cloth. Neither really seemed concerned with being competitive. They just want to be on tv, troll on IG, and get paid to do it. I don't blame them but hard to have sympathy for holland getting "humped" when grappling fundamentals are that bad. There's a pretty easy blueprint on Holland now that unless he takes some serious time away, he won't be able to fix, and any fighter with decent core strength will be able to exploit
He's a black belt in bjj.

sUGVr0K.gif

not everyone is BJ Peen, the new generation of fighters must take defensive wrestling seriously.

it doesn't matter if you are a good striker, if your TDD is bad any Wrestler average beats you.

LOL..BJ Peen.

No need to bring Penn up...Holland is an awesome striker but in his last two fights he pretty much can't stop a TD.

It’s still War Holland! Guy is game af and has the Anybody Anytime mentality that I love on a molecular level.

Props to him for stepping up to the main event. Now let's see if his future is really at 170.

fighters that claim "lay and pray" and complain about wrestling will never progress, it is a mentality that prvents further work done in the gym, a limited mindset, and an excuse as to why people lose

sore loser once again

Dude needs to give up the last minute replacement shtick and add some size. Yes he wont be able to take last minute fights due to walking around below the limit but damn, he's 6'3 with skill... No reason to be coming into fights at a natural weight of 183. He should be in the 200's

Just working on his TDD defense alone is not going to fix his problems. The holes start with him standing and are leading to the ground. He will be stalled out against the cage next if he stops the takedowns. The issue starts with his footwork while striking. He has no base when he strikes; his footwork and striking are not coordinated. He was falling into Brunson continuously, while I am happy to see he did much better in this fight on that one area, he went to the other extreme and would stop moving and set before and after a lot of combos, which just lead to the clinch and takedown once again. He needs to learn to stick and move to make any real use of his reach and avoid the clinch and takedown.

The other main issue is his acceptance of bad positions. That is a mental/heart issue. He has to learn to fight and scramble out of those transitions instead of accepting them.

As a coach, I wonder if he is not getting the right instruction or if he gives resistance to being coached. Regardless, he needs a good amount of time off unless he wants to will be a gatekeeper. The type of skill development he needs is not done in fight camp.

He's a black belt in bjj.

Seriously? Holland? What McDojo gave him that? His mat grappling is Derrick Lewis/ justin gaethje levels nonexistent.

Not trying to trash what you're saying but it's fairly obvious he isn't using what he's learned if that's the case. Marvin sat on him and it's not like marvin is some sort of sambo champ or NCAA wunderkind

Seriously? Holland? What McDojo gave him that? His mat grappling is Derrick Lewis/ justin gaethje levels nonexistent.

Not trying to trash what you're saying but it's fairly obvious he isn't using what he's learned if that's the case. Marvin sat on him and it's not like marvin is some sort of sambo champ or NCAA wunderkind
I just brought it up because it was always brought up when discussing Holland's ground game and the post I was replying to was stating Holland doesn't know the basics. But since he's a black belt in BJJ he knows the basics and this could be more of just a skill issue with Vettorri and Brunson just being better skilled combat grapplers compared to Holland.

I feel the fight was too soon to make and didn't give Holland enough time to fix his holes from the Brunson fight. It was obvious Vettori would employ the same game plan. But Holland did do better in this fight than the last. It's better when he's fighting more serious and less about just trying to have fun not caring if he wins or loses.

Damn, the MMA is such an unforgiving sport.

In terms of winning streaks and overall activity you could argue that he was Dana's favorite fighter in 2020.

We're four months in 2021 and now you could argue - judging on Dana's reaction while watching fight Brunson - that's he's that close to being cut.

Keep in mind hes taking all these fights on shirt notice for the UFC. Hes not getting cut.

I just think he needs to drop to Welterweight. And obviously work on his wrestling.

If Sean Strickland gets past Jotko, let's do Holland vs Strickland next. He won't grapplefuck him. He'll stand and bang, and talk trash right back

fighters that claim "lay and pray" and complain about wrestling will never progress, it is a mentality that prvents further work done in the gym, a limited mindset, and an excuse as to why people lose

sore loser once again

I think fighters can claim lay and pray and do something about it but i agree that holland doesnt come off as the type. He doesnt look or sound very competitive.

I like him again. Needs to train hard on take down defence and grappling!!!!

So he openly admits he hasn't improved since Allen made him tap.

I mean, it was obvious to everyone who doesn't have a smooth brain, but still.

He needs to fix some holes in his game and moving down in weight will not be the answer. He should just stay at185

Back