Social Kevin McCarthy ousted; Mike Johnson becomes US House speaker

Well, first, note that my position is not that the extremely low spending on elections in America logically proves the point that money doesn't drive political positions by elected officials. That's just a kind of supplemental point that I think works as a sanity check for the rest of the evidence. Meaning, even if research wasn't showing a big effect of money, if the amount of money that businesses spent on campaigns were really high, that would be something that would cause us to wonder if we're not missing something. But since it's not, it's a further sign that researchers are on the right track.

I earlier asked if anyone could site evidence showing an impact of CU on outcomes. Didn't get a taker, but I saw some stuff myself suggesting that it's helped Republicans a little in state elections, though I'd still regard that as a little tentative. Another question I have for people who think CU or money generally matters a lot is what legislation you think has or hasn't passed as a result of money (that would at least make it easier to look at the evidence). I can't think of anything at the national level (obviously, Republicans were going to give rich people another big tax cut when they had full control of gov't with or without money, and it doesn't look like they've outperformed nationally). There probably are some state-level laws that have changed (or, again, failed to change) as a result of the ruling if it's true that it's given the GOP a boost in state gov'ts.

You were literally given everything you asked for, and you just figured out ways to reject them or rationalize them. Big money by right wing donors has helped elect politicians who have blocked very very popular legislation like bills for universal health care, higher minimum wage, among other things. Big money paid for Senators who would confirm SCOTUS justices including a blatantly hypocritical move of ramming through the least qualified candidate ever proposed who is a member of a cult (which is now implicated in a sexual abuse scandal) in the last minute of an election year, a premise on which the previous President's nominee was blocked. This is well-documented and you can watch hearings about it. Corporate money buys corporate favor, the price of that compared to the size of the economy isnt relevant. Tax cuts and deregulation are. Hell that recent banking crisis was the result of deregulation.

And keep in-mind Republicans constantly accuse Democrats of being influenced by donors (Soros), and yet it was they who blocked the Disclose Act.

You were literally given everything you asked for, and you just figured out ways to reject them or rationalize them.

What do you mean? When? Why get so personal, also? I'm sincerely trying to get some questions answered to move the discussion forward.

Last edited:
It may be worth mentioning that the Dems likely knew that the GOP didn't have an actual plan of succession and that the nomination process would be messy and drawn out. This whole thing makes the Republicans look like total clowns and shifts attention away from an unpopular Biden
Meanwhile Biden travelled to Israel to reassert his support to Benjamin Naetanyahou while Trump recently called Hezbollah "very smart". Biden is also linking Ukraine and Israel aid in the same cause giving him moral ascent over Republicans thus giving him leverage to force an aid package for Ukraine and Israel as all-in-one.

Biden looking like an efficient figurehead in the current conflicts, is capable of giving coherent and straightforward speeches, while Trump is babbling incohrently and saying wild shit, while the GoP cannot even come to terms with who they should listen to in the House after two major fumbles in less than a year.

Independants are going to look at the Reds and the Blues and determine with ease who to vote for.

It may be worth mentioning that the Dems likely knew that the GOP didn't have an actual plan of succession and that the nomination process would be messy and drawn out. This whole thing makes the Republicans look like total clowns and shifts attention away from an unpopular Biden
It all started with MAtt Gaetz trying to fuck Cassidy Hutchinson and after a misunderstanding thinking Kevin was fucking her. Then he left docurments starting to kick him out on a diaper changing table for a reporter to find and post online.

The GOP couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Saw the local Congressman from this area is looking to become the next Congressional House Speaker. Hope he wins the position. I like him.

I am running to become the next Speaker of the House.

Saw the local Congressman from this area is looking to become the next Congressional House Speaker. Hope he wins the position. I like him.

7ae5d90d-78bd-456b-85b3-2ade07b0d146_text.gif

Typical MAGA republican.
Former Pot Dealer who also caught a bribery charge, before being elected.

Back