Khabib: I am interested in fighting Holloway, let Conor win something first.

shoorik1987

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Another little interview from Khabib today, this is also from Plekhanov university like the last one I posted.

Khabib (K): Champion vs champion is always interesting, McGregor is not in there (UFC), it's unclear what's going on with Ferguson, St.Pierre is not there, boxing with Mayweather is also out of the picture since the UFC won't allow it.

There are two fighters who are possible at the moment who are doing very well, Porier and Holloway, I'll fight the winner of those two.

Q: Who would you be more interested in fighting?

K: Holloway because he has 13 wins I a row, if he wins this one it will be 14. He has the longest victory streak in UFC atm. When fighting with me he can potentially become a champion in two weight categories so that will make it more interesting for the fans.

Q: How do you value your chances against him?

K: Good fighter, very good fighter, he is not smaller than me (size) even if he fights at 65 kg. He has heart, good stamina as he usually wins his fights in later rounds. I think he is a worthy opponent.

Q: Will you fight in September in Dubai?

K: We are working on this. I just came back from Dubai, very soon news coming.

(In the other interview he said that he wants Zubaira and Abubakar who are banned to fight first otherwise he won't do it).
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...-fight-conor-and-more.3939137/#post-150761935

Q: On the 20th of April will you be in Islam Makhachevs corner?
K: I am disqualified, I will not be able to corner him. I will be sitting in the front row. In the corner will be my father and Javier Mendez, Samir. So I think that he has a good backbone of cornermen and they will manage without me. I would also like to point out his opponent that is very tough even though he hasn't fought in UFC before, he has 13 W and only 1 L so I think he is a worthy opponent.

Q: Are you continuing to train and if you do, where and with what intensity?
K: I will not be fighting for 5 month so it's not intensive training. So I will start to train harder in the end of April to get 4 intensive month of preparation. Now I just try to keep in shape and do at least one practice a day.

Q: You are now studying at university and looking to the future, where do you see yourself in 10-20 years?
K: I really don't know where I'll be. Right now I am an active professional athlete, UFC Champion right now I want to defend my belt and if we have successful negotiations it will be on 7th of September.

Q: Conor recently insulted you on instagram, why do you think he bothers you and how are you reacting to this?
K: The guy wants to be relevant in the news. Have you noticed that ahead of big UFC event he posts something, predicts fights, compliments someone, insults someone. That's a PR move that enables him to always stay relevant in the news. And it works, he knows how to work it. I don't have a problem with it. Let him say what he want's. The main thing is that he didn't say anything inside the cage when I hit him in the face with my fists, my knees and my elbows. When I told him to "talk" inside the cage he was quiet and now that there is 5000-6000 kilometers between us he's talking. It just shows that this is a low, disrespectful person. So I don't have a problem, when we were 1 v 1 in the cage and I put him down on the ground and beat him, he didn't say nothing.

Q: What's you take on Porier vs Holloway fight is...
K: Can we speak Russian ok?
I think Dustin Porier is a very worthy and good opponent. But I think that Holloway is on a streak, he is hungrier and a better fighter. That's just my opinion, the fight will show. This is very interesting, it's only two weeks left, for me this fight is very interesting because the winner will be my opponent.

Q: Khabib how do you see your future after your UFC contract expires?
K: It would be good for me to make two more appearances this year, 30-31 December and in September. If I fight on 7th september as planned, I would be able to rest 3 weeks and then spend October, November and December in the gym and fight in the end of the year. This would be the best scenario. I just don't want to look to far ahead, let's come to an agreement first and then we'll see.

Q: Do you see a rematch with McGregor happening?
K: Well actually me and UFC were working towards that, the plan was that he fights in July, I fight in September and if we both win you fight again in December. I don't care because I never choose my opponents, if you give me Ferguson I'll fight him if you give me Holloway I'll fight him.

When it comes to McGregor its a matter of principle for me. LET HIM EARN IT! Since 2016 he hasn't won anything at all! It's year 2019 on the calendar, let him win something. Alright he dresses nice and talks a lot, but let him win something. Just give him somebody he can beat, feel the taste of victory and then we'll talk.

Q: Khabib, if we talk about WW. Would you be interested to test yourself at that weight?
K: Yes it would be interesting, but right now I am champion at LW and I don't want to run around weight classes and hold up my division. It's already at a standstill because of my disqualification. I don't want to be that guy. My plan was to fight around this time, in April, but I was disqualified and now they threw me in September. I really hope that it will be September and that I'll return then.

Q: Khabib, I just want to clarify. I'm I understanding this correctly, that right now you are negotiating for you, Zubaira and Abubakar to fight on the 7th of September on same card as you?
K: That's minimum, that they fight on same card with me or they can fight before me. It will not happen that first I fight and then they fight a month or two after me. I have my principles and I will not back down. This is the main issue in my negotiations with UFC.

Q: So is you brother Abubakar in talks with UFC?
K: He is already in the UFC. We only have talks about the date of his first fight.

Q: Do you think that you have so many things going on in your life that it distracts you from training?
K: I agree with that completely, many champions that are out for a long time and make a come back are not the same again. But we can remember when I was away for 2 years and many people said I wouldn't be the same, but look at my fights before and after the injury. I have become batter in the stand up and on the ground, don't forget that I am training my whole life. Wherever I am I feel bad if I don't train so wherever I am the first thing I look for is a gym.

Q: What need to happen before you say "I achieved everything"?
K: A couple more fights. 30-0 is a good aim.

Q: What can you say about situation with Tony Ferguson. According to the news he has problems with his mental health.
K: I don't know if it's anything with his mental health. I understand that he has some problems with his family, I heard his wife called the police or something, I don't want to get into detail. I personally don't like being so closely watched, I can only imagine how hard this is for him when the subject of his family is raised. I really don't know the details, I just read the news as you, but I wish him good luck and good health. The sport is sport, but family is family. Let's hope he returns, it's so unusual to see a person with 11 victories in LW and now he is down on the curb. This means that in this period of his life this is the challenge he has to get through. Some people have money issues, some people drink some have some star sickness (Conor :D), so we all have different issues so let him get trough his, return and I hope that me and him will finally get to fight.

Q: That would be a dream fight.
K: Yes of course it would be a great fight, I think that this is the most awaited fight at the moment in the UFC. The owners of UFC told me this that it's according to the polls and market research. So let him return.

Q: Can you say a couple of words about your wife and child and that they practically don't see you.
K: I don't like discussing my family life. I wouldn't say that they don't see me, they do . You just see my posts on Instagram and you think that I am all over the world. But that's internet so don't judge a person by instagram.

Q: What do you think about Zabit Magomedsharipov, will he be fighting for championship soon?
K: I think he will get one more fight before the title. He is ranked 6 now, so it would be wise to give him a main event fight so he can get a feel for 5 rounds because it's a little different than 3 rounds. I think he is ready, he beat a really strong guy in Stevens. So who is there, Volkanovski, Aldo and Zabit, they are on one level and it will be interesting to see them fighting each other.

Q: Keeping in mind that UFC rarely goes against decisions of athletic commission in regard to Zubaira and Abubakar, will you be happy with the option if UFC lets them fight before October but in another promotion.
K: Yes that's possible, there are so many nuances you can't even imagine. We come to one agreement, but something is in the way. I hope that in the middle of April we'll come to some agreement. I will have an opponent, I may compromise on some things and UFC may compromise on some things, but I hope that in the end of April it will be clear who we are fighting, me, Zubaira and Abubakar.

Q: This whole thing about doing an anti-bullying commercial, that was not an option for you?
K: I don't do that. Ok, let them make a commercial about the lead up to my last fight, that was bullying and I calmed him down. Let them make a nice commersial and show it is schools, the message would be "He talked to much and bullied, then he was dragged by the ear behind a corder got smacked in the head and that was it. He was taught a lesson." That's what they want to talk about right. So let them do a movie about that. But I will not be making no films. Why? Because I don't consider myself guilty, I'm about 80% right in this situation except for a couple of moments.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Spelling errors? Whatever I'm tired as hell after translating two long interviews today. I don't care.

Last edited:
Holloway about to welcome Khabib to the blessed era.

Holloway.gif

I’d be interested in fighting strikers only too if I was a master grappler.

Holloway for sure is the toughest fight for khabib , also toughest fight for Holloway. not trying to write poirier off but I think a lot of people are already looking forward to this matchup

Tony is my first choice. But I wouldn’t mind seeing Khabib/Halloway. Wouldn’t mind at all..

I don't care, take any of the top 10 LWs and pick two names out of the hat and I want to see that fight.
I just want to see all the available fights ASAP lets go.

Q: Conor recently insulted you on instagram, why do you think he bothers you and how are you reacting to this?
K: The guy wants to be relevant in the news. Have you noticed that ahead of big UFC event he posts something, predicts fights, compliments someone, insults someone. That's a PR move that enables him to always stay relevant in the news. And it works, he knows how to work it. I don't have a problem with it. Let him say what he want's. The main thing is that he didn't say anything inside the cage when I hit him in the face with my fists, my knees and my elbows. When I told him to "talk" inside the cage he was quiet and now that there is 5000-6000 kilomiters between us he's talking. It just shows that this is a low, disrespectful person. So I don't have a problem, when we were 1 v 1 in the cage and I put him down on the ground and beat him, he didn't say nothing.

He's studying at University?

I'm interested in khabib vs. Max too, but Dustin is very capable of spoiling that party.

Rooting for Holloway but i dont think he can win this. He dkesnt have a ground game to stop Holloway.
There is only one guy that can do this, if he cant than no one can in 155.

I'd be more impressed if he called out Usman. What's up with all these supposed world-beaters calling out the champ below them in weight-class?

Ducking Conor rematch to fight a FW
SMH

Give me a good reason why he would rematch Conor other than money?
The fight was not even competitive.
And btw max is a huge fw he almost died

Last edited:
K: Well actually me and UFC were working towards that, the place was that he fight in July, I fight in September and if you both win you fight again in December. I don't care because I never choose my opponents, if you give me Ferguson I'll fight him if you give me Holloway I'll fight him.

When it comes to McGregor its a matter of principle for me. LET HIM EARN IT! Since 2016 he hasn't won anything at all! It's year 2019 on the calendar, let him win something. Alright he dresses nice and talk a lot, but let him win something. Just give him someone he can beat, feel the taste of victory and then we'll talk.

It is true...

Conor hasn't won a fight in so long...

All he does is run his mouth on the internet and during interviews...

Q: Khabib, I just want to clarify. I'm I understanding this correctly, that right now you are negotiating for you, Zubaira and Abubakar to fight on the 7th of September on same card as you?
K: That's minimum, that they fight on same card with me or they can fight before me. It will not happen that first I fight and then they fight a month or two after me. I have my principles and I will not back down. This is the main issue in my negotiations with UFC.

K: Well actually me and UFC were working towards that, the place was that he fight in July, I fight in September and if you both win you fight again in December. I don't care because I never choose my opponents, if you give me Ferguson I'll fight him if you give me Holloway I'll fight him.

When it comes to McGregor its a matter of principle for me. LET HIM EARN IT! Since 2016 he hasn't won anything at all! It's year 2019 on the calendar, let him win something. Alright he dresses nice and talk a lot, but let him win something. Just give him someone he can beat, feel the taste of victory and then we'll talk.

Man that's both good to hear and disappointing, Khabib shouldn't give Conman a rematch.

Q: What can you say about situation with Tony Ferguson. According to the news he has problems with his mental health.
K: I don't know if it's anything mental health. I understand that he has some problems with his family, I heard his wife called the police or something, I don't want to get into detail. I personally don't like being so closely watched, I can only imagine how hard this is for him when the subject of his family is raised. I really don't know the details, I just read the news as you, but I wish him good luck and good health. The sport is sport, but family is family. Let's hope he returns, it's so unusual to see a person with 11 victories in LW and now he is down on the curb. This means that in this period of his life this is the challenge he has to get through. Some people have money issues, some people drink some have some star sickness (Conor :D), so we all have different issues so let him get trough his, return and I hope that me and him will finally get to fight.

Max can give him some trouble on the feet but man Khabib is better on the ground. I can't see Max stuffing his takedowns or getting back up.

Back