News Khamzat Chimaev is officially ranked in the top 15. He enters at #15 in the welterweight division.

Since when does the UFC/Dana need to validate anything they do?. Every move made is for the sole purpose of making back some of those billions of dollars.
Right, and that’s fine, but don’t try and act like it’s something else

Two of his three ufc wins are already cut or nearly cut. His quality of opponents was NOT high enough to validate a ranking. Don’t even try to play

Who has Belal Muhammad beat for his #13 rank? Lawler is 1-5 in his last 6. Do you have an issue with their rankings? Because they’re both ranked higher than Khamzat.

What guy deserves to be ranked higher than Khamzat that is ranked lower than 15.

Don’t even try to play.

Who has Belal Muhammad beat for his #13 rank? Lawler is 1-5 in his last 6. Do you have an issue with their rankings? Because they’re both ranked higher than Khamzat.

What guy deserves to be ranked higher than Khamzat that is ranked lower than 15.

Don’t even try to play.
Bella Muhammad is 7-1 against his last 8 opponents and his only loss was to Geoff Neal. Who BTW is the only person to take Geoff Neal to a decision in the ufc. How is that even close to the same as someone getting it off 3 fights?

Some guys like Belal or Islam you have to stick a ranking next to because otherwise no one will fight them. That’s not the situation Khamzat is in.

People in this thread really don't understand the criticism of the booking.

Yes, Khamzat's really good. Yes, he can beat Leon. Yes, if he does, he should be ranked top 3. Yes, if Tai Tuivasa knocked out Stipe, he should be the HW champ. But you don't make that fight just cuz you think he's got enough power to do it. Fuck, Cody was rightly the champ after beating Cruz, but he still wasn't even in the top 5 when that fight was made, he was just booked cuz of the Dom-Alpha Male feud. (TJ, the #1 contender was booked to beat contenders #2 & #3, while Dom was defending his belt against fuckin, over-the-hill Faber and his student).

The guy winning the fight isn't actually reason enough for why he should have got it. If that was the case, next time they book an event, just fucking throw darts at a board and go "Hey, it's MMA! Anyone can win on any day."

Don’t even try to play.
See my post.

Makes sense to drop RDA since he's a LW now officially. Keeping Diaz would be dumb, and he should be removed, but the UFC has had inactive people ranked much longer whenever they like the fighter, so there seems to be some real "pick-em" logic for dropping him.

Fighters that should have gotten this over Khamzat? Here's some fast facts.
  • Daniel Rodriguez: 13-1 (3-0 UFC). Debuted just in Feb on short notice and choked Tim Means. Dominated a decision over Gabriel Green. Then KO'ed Dwight Grant in the first round in a firefight. Perfomances were good, maybe not as flawless, but Means is a much bigger win than Meerschaert.
  • Anthony Rocco Martin (Tony Martin): 17-6 (9-6 UFC, but 5-2 at WW). Had a tough lightweight run but stepped up his game at welterweight. Has beaten the likes of Keita Nakamura, Ryan LaFlare, Jake Matthews, Sergio Moraes, and Ramazan Emeev (combined record of 93-18-2 (1). Has losses against respectable ranked opponents in Maia and Magny, though the Magny fight was a robbery. (Depends if he re-signed).
  • Jake Matthews: 17-4 (10-4 UFC, but 6-1 at WW). Dropped to LW for the UFC, also had a fairly promising, then suddenly stopping, career there. Went back up to WW for a strong run with his Martin loss sandwiched between two 3 fight win streaks.
  • Ramazan Emeev: 18-4 (4-1 UFC). Came in at middleweight just like Khamzat and won his debut and 2 more at WW. He dropped a decision to Martin, then came back with another win. Dominant wrestler who, aside from his fight against underrated Martin, beat his opponents in every round of the fights he won.
  • Muslim Salikhov: 17-2 (4-1 UFC). Lost in his debut, then came back with 2 big knockouts and a 4 fight win streak over Rainey, Taleb, Staropoli, and Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos.
  • James Krause: 28-8 (9-4 UFC). Bounces between more weights than even Khamzat. 3 Early losses at lightweight taint his record, but one was Masvidal, and the other was getting kicked in the dick 3 times by Bobby Green until BJM went blind, decided he had enough of the fouls, and called it a TKO. Since moving up, he's gone 7-1, with the 1 loss being a day's notice fight at middleweight with a highly contested scorecard
Maybes:
  • Sean Brady: 14-0 (3-0 UFC). Pre-UFC career includes a win over UFC washout Colton Smith (who went on a 4 fight win streak after being cut). Has 3 wins in the UFC over Court McGee, Ismail Naurdiev, and Christian Aguilera
  • Claudio Silva: 14-2 (5-1 UFC). Came into the UFC on a 9 fight win streak and extended it to 14 after a 5-0 run over Brad Scott, Leon Edwards, Nordine Taleb, Danny Roberts, and Cole Williams. Recently dropped his last fight to Krause. What hurts his streak is a 4 year delay in competition after beating Leon Edwards due to a terrible string of injuries.
  • Li Jingliang: 17-6 (9-4 UFC). Always an underrated fighter, seems to flip very well between banging and grinding in fights. He's 7-2 in his last 9 with 5 KO's. The 2 losses being decisions being against Magny and the already-referenced Jake Matthews.
  • Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos: 22-7 (8-3 UFC). Dropped a 50-50 split decision in his debut, but has gone 7-2 in his last 9 with 3 FotN performances. Only losses to the above-mentioned Jingliang & Salikhov (a highly disputed decision)
  • Shakvat Rakhmonov: 13-0 (1-0 UFC). Why should a guy 1-0 in the UFC be ranked over Khamzat? He shouldn't. But if anyone argues that the above guys, despite having done more than Khamzat shouldn't be ranked above him because they're not as good (not how rankings work), then I'll counter that with Shavkat. Undefeated M-1 champion came into the UFC and jumped a guillotine first round against Brazilian Cowboy. Since UFC competition apparently doesn't matter, his body of work is better than Khamzat's.
Would be ranked above him, if they were eligible:
  • Santiago Ponzinibbio: Do I even really need to argue this one?
  • Michel Prazeres: 26-3 (9-3 UFC). Lost a welterweight debut to Paulo Thiago. Dropped to LW. Won 9 of his next 10 fights with names under his belt like Mads Burnell, Josh Burkman, Desmond Green, Zak Cummings, and current #1 contender Gilbert Burns, and only losing to Kevin Lee. During that streak, he managed to miss weight a bunch and continued the streak at welterweight until he dropped his last fight in 2019 and got a 2 year ban for PED's, coming back in March.
  • Don Hyun Kim: THE DONG! Seriously, this guy is still on the UFC roster? He hasn't fought since 2017. I gotta check my notes..

I have a sneaking suspicion Dana wanted to put him in the top 5 and even some of his yes men had to pump the brakes.

Two things:
Robbie is a legend but is done and has not business being ranked at all. There is no one in the top 10 that he beats today.
Zat has a ton of hype and if he can win against Edwards he will be the champ in 2021.

Khamzat wins the WW belt by mid 2021. Khabib should come back for 30-0 and fight Khamzat in a Champ vs Champ fight late 2021.

Bella Muhammad is 7-1 against his last 8 opponents and his only loss was to Geoff Neal. Who BTW is the only person to take Geoff Neal to a decision in the ufc. How is that even close to the same as someone getting it off 3 fights?

Some guys like Belal or Islam you have to stick a ranking next to because otherwise no one will fight them. That’s not the situation Khamzat is in.

I didn’t ask who he lost to, I asked who he beat. Last time I checked 9-0 was better than 7-1. The only reason Leon is fighting Khamzat is because the ufc took away his ranking for ducking him. Half the guys on that rankings list said no to the Khamzat fight. You can’t use that argument for Belal and then say Khamzat doesn’t deserve #15.

The only credible argument for him not being ranked #15 is splitting his fights between two divisions. I don’t know how that should factor in honestly, but I definitely don’t think he should be punished for it.

I didn’t ask who he lost to, I asked who he beat. Last time I checked 9-0 was better than 7-1. The only reason Leon is fighting Khamzat is because the ufc took away his ranking for ducking him. Half the guys on that rankings list said no to the Khamzat fight. You can’t use that argument for Belal and then say Khamzat doesn’t deserve #15.

The only credible argument for him not being ranked #15 is splitting his fights between two divisions. I don’t know how that should factor in honestly, but I definitely don’t think he should be punished for it.
The difference is someone took the fight against Khamzat right? People won’t take that fight vs belal. He actually struggles to find an opponent. And a ufc record and an overall record are two totally different things

Don’t even try to play.
People want to moan. Rankings are based on both w-l but also performances. Khamzat would be favored against most of the top 15, is favored against the #3 fighter already. Seems silly to bitch about it. Loma was getting title shots in his 2nd pro fight and no one thought it was weird (granted he is special and unique but still...).

Who did he beat to become #15?

LOL, fake ranking as usual...

Dana's a complete twit.

DizzyFloweryKakarikis-max-1mb.gif

The difference is someone took the fight against Khamzat right? People won’t take that fight vs belal. He actually struggles to find an opponent. And a ufc record and an overall record are two totally different things

That’s why Belal is ranked slightly ahead of Khamzat. The overall point is that these guys don’t have a great claim to their rank either. You’ve neglected to comment on 1-5 in his last 6 Robbie Lawler, who is ranked 14. His last win was 2017 over Cowboy Cerrone.

That’s why Belal is ranked slightly ahead of Khamzat. The overall point is that these guys don’t have a great claim to their rank either. You’ve neglected to comment on 1-5 in his last 6 Robbie Lawler, who is ranked 14. His last win was 2017 over Cowboy Cerrone.
Imo Robbie deserved the win over Askren, I thought the refs blew it, it should have been stopped, then was stopped too soon on the other side. But I’m not going to defend him, because frankly I don’t think he should be ranked

Back