Rewatch Khamzat Chimaev vs Kevin Holland

Who has better wrestling?

• Total voters

Davidjacksonjones

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Not sure what Kevin Holland was ranked at the time but he is currently 13th at WW.

Were you impressed with Khamzat's performance?

Who has better wrestling between Khamzat (three time Swedish national champion) and Usman (NCAA division 2 champion

Don't know, but Khamzat looks like he's training for Power Fapp....

(screen shot below, not a clip)....
upload_2023-10-19_19-29-48.png

I thought Islam pulls some strange & crazy faces, but Khamzat looks like a serial killer at times. Hope he doesn't have any pets.

upload_2023-10-19_19-33-13.png

Holland was acting tough before fight and they were talking shit to each other but as soon as the fight started this idiot tried to touching gloves for 10 times. Sometimes fear makes you do dumb things, just like GM3 immediately backing up like a little kitten when the fight started. Burns was not scared of Khamzat and Usman is not scared of him either so this will be an interesting fight

At first I thought the question was who has better wrestling Khamzat or Holland and was all like
Huuuuuh?
upload_2023-10-19_13-46-34.png

I was extremely impressed with him in that fight. Vettori (a solid top 5 fighter with wins over Costa, Harmansson and Dolidze) had to lay and pray over Holland for 25 minutes. Khamzat got him out of there like he didn't belong with him in a cage. I think this wins he has had is where all the hype of Khamzat comes from. He is not just winning he is walking through good fighters like they were amateurs.

I expect Khamzat to win because I think that he drained himself a lot to make 170 and that was not his best state (like when rumble or whittaker drained themselves to make 170). At 185, I think he is stronger and Usman always relied on weight advantage over most of his opponents. At 185, I don't think he will be as good.

I wish Holland would have survived the choke just to see how Khamzat would have held up after relentlessly pursuing it. Not saying Holland would have won but curious to see if Khamzat would have tired himself out.

I wish Holland would have survived the choke just to see how Khamzat would have held up after relentlessly pursuing it. Not saying Holland would have won but curious to see if Khamzat would have tired himself out.
If he survived that choke, khamzat would have ragdolled him into another submission. Holland needed to inflict some damage too, he couldn’t muster any offence at all in this fight.

The Holland fight was what, a year out from when he fought Brunson and Vettorri where he was also just held down and was content to sit in closed guard? We knew Holland's ability to get back up was abysmal. Getting a submission on Holland is pretty good, though. Would've liked to see his stand up because I still believe he looked bad in the Burns fight.

Usman is a three-time NCAA Division II All-American and two-time national champion
Khamzat was the main champion. Not second tier. And undefeated, not even losing so much as a single round.

I was extremely impressed with him in that fight. Vettori (a solid top 5 fighter with wins over Costa, Harmansson and Dolidze) had to lay and pray over Holland for 25 minutes. Khamzat got him out of there like he didn't belong with him in a cage.

Does it need to be pointed out that Vettori fought a middleweight Kevin Holland, who prepared for him?

Khamzat fought a welterweight on zero days notice, who trained for a different opponent in a different weight class.

Holland is a weak grappler, which was already well established, Khamzat just got him on more favorable terms. Nothing to see here.

Considering Vettori and Brunson layed on top of Holland for 25 minutes each without doing any damage or coming close to a finish, I'd say it was pretty damn impressive. Holland is easy to take down but he's very good at defending himself on the ground.

Seems like Khamzat is the better wrestler and overall MMA grappler, including GnP and submissions. But it's not necessarily enough to dominate Usman with wrestling. You need to be a LOT better to dominate someone with wrestling. I expect mostly a standup fight.

Does it need to be pointed out that Vettori fought a middleweight Kevin Holland, who prepared for him?

Khamzat fought a welterweight on zero days notice, who trained for a different opponent in a different weight class.

Holland is a weak grappler, which was already well established, Khamzat just got him on more favorable terms. Nothing to see here.

what do you mean different weight class? Holland fight was set to be a 180 catchweight before the weigh in debacle

Khamzat cut down to way below that, then rehydrated to weigh in at 178

if anybody got the weight advantage in that one it was Holland

Not sure what Kevin Holland was ranked at the time but he is currently 13th at WW.

Were you impressed with Khamzat's performance?

Who has better wrestling between Khamzat (three time Swedish national champion) and Usman (NCAA division 2 champion

I have mixed feelings about Khamzat's performance in that fight.

It was an impressive performance in that he subbed Holland within minutes without absorbing a single strike.

At the same time, he didn't show great fight IQ by using too much energy to chase the finish like that. He was visibly breathing hard and would have been in big trouble if that D'arce hadn't succeeded. Very risky to go that hard in every fight.

This is what I feel separates Khabib and Islam from Khamzat. They know how to pace themselves for 3 to 5 rounds and have good timing on their takedowns. Khamzat goes full blast and doesn't really try to conserve his energy.

Usman is a three-time NCAA Division II All-American and two-time national champion
his ncaa accomplishments aren't all that, he was competing in the minor leagues of ncaa

Don't know, but Khamzat looks like he's training for Power Fapp....

(screen shot below, not a clip)....
View attachment 1007191

I thought Islam pulls some strange & crazy faces, but Khamzat looks like a serial killer at times. Hope he doesn't have any pets.

View attachment 1007192
Islam just looks retarded, or inbred like conor said.

Khamzat looks like he might shoot up a store or something

what do you mean different weight class? Holland fight was set to be a 180 catchweight before the weigh in debacle

Khamzat cut down to way below that, then rehydrated to weigh in at 178

if anybody got the weight advantage in that one it was Holland
What? No, khamzat couldn't get any lower than 178lb that's what he weighed in at. Holland was the one that was already below 178lb.

Then they made it a catch weight of 180lb so that khamzat wouldn't have to large of a weight advantage.

God damn, talk about revisionist history

Khamzat fought Holland like he broke into his house. Didn't he squeeze Holland so hard he burst the vessels in his eyes?

Back