Khamzat or Shavkat will be a champion...

Wow what a ground breaking take. Khamzat being champion is a very fresh perspective.

And a few years later, The Fighter Kevin Lee was going to take WW by storm. He was only like 27 and had tons of potential and just needed to fix a few flaws.

I was an Erik Silva hater when he busted onto the scene, same with Stephen Thompson. I still think Rory is one of the best WW talents athletically and technically we've ever seen, would not surprise me to see Rory beat guys like Usman or Leon in his prime but I think he lost his edge of viciousness by training at Tristar and I don't think he ever really liked being a fighter, lost his heart and never recovered after that Lawler fight too.

They are the 2 best fighters in the division. I wish guys like Usman, Edwards, MasDIVA, and Covington would stop holding up the division.

I was an Erik Silva hater when he busted onto the scene, same with Stephen Thompson. I still think Rory is one of the best WW talents athletically and technically we've ever seen, would not surprise me to see Rory beat guys like Usman or Leon in his prime but I think he lost his edge of viciousness by training at Tristar and I don't think he ever really liked being a fighter, lost his heart and never recovered after that Lawler fight too.
Rory was very well rounded, but I think this strength was kind of a weakness, too. He was pretty good in wrestling, BJJ and submissions and a pretty big WW. But he didn't have any "superpowers," like GSP's dominant wrestling, 1-punch KO power like Hendricks, a deadly submission game, etc. He was able to keep it standing enough with Maia (though he spent some time on the ground) to win. He was able to wrestle Lima enough in their first fight to win. He used his skillset and a good gameplan to beat Woodley. But he got lulled into a brawl and ultimately lost to Lawler (twice) and got outstruck by Wonderboy. If he had GSP's wrestling, he could've won those fights.

He's kind of the poster child of what's good and bad about being a modern MMA fighter who had no real specialty before MMA (like D1 wrestling, karate/boxing/kickboxing, BJJ tournament champ, etc). Edwards vs. prime Rory would be interesting. I'm not sure how he'd do against a point fighting striker with pretty good TDD. Most likely it would be a close decision and people would call it a boring fight.

They should fight as a No. 1 contender bout. and have Cody vs Gilbert as fun fight.

Khazmat will be champion. He is like the next rising star to rise.

I hope Shavkat gets a fight. I know Geoff Neal and WB both refused to fight him.

IDK why WB is in the top 10 if he only wants "big fights". He's lost 2 dominant decisions and isn't even willing to fight someone slightly below him rank-wise in Shavkat. I like WB, but they should kick him out of the top 10.

Sadly I can't imagine Jorge or Colby signing to fight Shavkat.

Maybe he can get Burns (if Burns doesn't fight Jorge, although Burns and Shavkat train at the same gym), or the loser of Belal/Brady. Luque is also an option, as Luque is one rank above him, but Luque has had two bad losses and probably should fight someone easier. Plus I think Luque also trains with Shavkat.

We'll see. He's looked incredible except for one fight where the struggled mightily with a former LW. It reminds me of Ngannou destroying everyone than losing the decision in that bizarre fight with Derrick Lewis. To be fair, he went on to become HW champ, but did lose again to Stipe along the way.
I agree, but in the end Izzy isn't exactly a great defensive wrestler. He really hasn't anybody who would go after him and put him down except Jan, and that didn't go well for him.

I agree, but in the end Izzy isn't exactly a great defensive wrestler. He really hasn't anybody who would go after him and put him down except Jan, and that didn't go well for him.
Well he did beat Brunson. We'll see. It's an interesting possible match-up down the road.

We'll see. He's looked incredible except for one fight where the struggled mightily with a former LW. It reminds me of Ngannou destroying everyone than losing the decision in that bizarre fight with Derrick Lewis. To be fair, he went on to become HW champ, but did lose again to Stipe along the way.

that former lightweight dusts 7/10 of the WW top 10. Ur foolish for diminishing that.

Rory was very well rounded, but I think this strength was kind of a weakness, too. He was pretty good in wrestling, BJJ and submissions and a pretty big WW. But he didn't have any "superpowers," like GSP's dominant wrestling, 1-punch KO power like Hendricks, a deadly submission game, etc. He was able to keep it standing enough with Maia (though he spent some time on the ground) to win. He was able to wrestle Lima enough in their first fight to win. He used his skillset and a good gameplan to beat Woodley. But he got lulled into a brawl and ultimately lost to Lawler (twice) and got outstruck by Wonderboy. If he had GSP's wrestling, he could've won those fights.

He's kind of the poster child of what's good and bad about being a modern MMA fighter who had no real specialty before MMA (like D1 wrestling, karate/boxing/kickboxing, BJJ tournament champ, etc). Edwards vs. prime Rory would be interesting. I'm not sure how he'd do against a point fighting striker with pretty good TDD. Most likely it would be a close decision and people would call it a boring fight.
GSP didn't have a wrestling background. I always hoped Rory could evolve like GSP but it never happened for whatever reason

Reactions: mkt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardscarf
Back