Kickboxing vs BJJ

slickoneuk

White Belt
Reaction score
Ladies and Gent and bad ass mofo's alike

I have a small question.

I am 39 and a hobbiest kickboxer, train 3 times per week, no intention of fighting full contact.

Recently I have been noticing that kickboxing really is taking its toal on my hips and joints.

My club also have BJJ classes and by all accounts they are very good.

Is BJJ as rough on the joints as Kickboxing training?

Cheers

BBB

No it isn't.

Whenever I feel shitty, I roll instead of doing stand-up. Banging away the same way all the time is bad for you when there is no point in it. MMA is the best martial art for long term health, because you can give whatever is hurting you a break.

If you do BJJ all the time, you can end up with the same problem but in reverse. If you don't do take downs at all and start on the ground, then it is very good for your body so long as you are humble and tap right away.

Cheers for the answer.

I just feel battered after training, not that we spar full out or kick lumps out of each other. Just ground down

Try it out brah. Only real problems I see most people have is with their fingers

in my experience, jits is a lot easier on the body. especially gi jits instead of no gi

My club is a BTT club so the BJJ is decent quality. I may give it a go

all depends on how hard you train. Personally i think grappling is tougher on the joints because of all the twisting and pulling and being folded up into weird positions. but then again ive done more grappling that striking so i may be a little biased.

I have never grappled, always been a stand up guy.

Same, but you might love it. And it might be totally fine on your body. Never know until you try it out some.

Like previous posters said try out doing both, and see if your body overall does fine when your taking breaks from one or the other

For me personally, I was training both at one point and honestly felt BJJ was harder on my body. Within a 6 month time span I was dealing with a lot of muscles tweaks and if it wasn't that, it be jammed up fingers or something. I eventually decided to put BJJ on the waist side for a bit, because it was requiring me to take too many injury breaks. May not be the same for everybody, but for me it was always somethin with JJ.

Last edited:
BJJ is so much tougher on your body, its not even close. Imagine having a guy put all his body weight on top of you and you trying to get him off, all while he is wrenching at your neck.

It takes time to get use to, but your back and neck are going to hurt in the beginning.

As a couple people mentioned it comes down to personal preference...but from my experience training both I get a lot more muscle soreness and tweeks from BJJ while I get a lot more bumps, bruises, and cuts from stand up.

That being said it takes a while to get used to the stress of either martial art so if when you start doing BJJ you think its much harder on your body, give it a few months to get used to it before you really make that call. Just like when you started kickboxing it takes the body a while to get conditioned to that type of stress.

To be honest though both are tough sports and take there toll on the body even at the recreational level. Regardless of what combat sport you continue with I think who you train with and the pace you train at will have a bigger impact on you not feeling so beat up.

I did grappling/bjj only for several years. I recently switched to stand-up solely to give my joints a rest. I find that stand-up lets me work without aggravating some bjj injuries that need to heal.

I talked to a couple of the BJJ guys last night. Same consensus, BJJ is as tough but different. I think I will have to try it out. Or go back to knitting!

Back