Kimura outweighed Helio Gracie by more than 80 pounds when they fought in 1951

Kimura had a good chuckle. According to an interview with him, the Gracies brought a casket to the match and told him it's for him because Helio was going to kill him. He said it was just so funny that he had to laugh out loud.

Keep in mind that Rener Gracie once claimed in one of those YouTube breakdown videos that Helio was so small that he couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without passing out, so such bizarre statements are no rarity. He also said that Ken Shamrock had never seen a Rear Naked Choke in his life before UFC 1, lol

Gracie family are a bunch of thugs and always has been. They’re also full of excuses and high on their own supply.

An excuse video 70 years after the match? Should have gone with "his foot was a ballewn"

Kimura was 5'7 and about 180 lbs. Guy would have been a smallish WW now.

This.

Helio was at least 130, though probably closer to 140+

This whole Helio did t have the strength to walk until he created Grappling and Leverage is just really, REALLY blatant propaganda

Kimura wasn't even that much bigger, but I will say he was a HELL of a lot better.

I'm going to need more proof of that claim that "Kimura boasted about he'd finish Helio in 3 minutes or else he should be considered the winner." It's just very uncharacteristic of Japanese let along accomplished Japanese martial artist of that era, especially factor in that Helio just choked the #2 guy out.
Probably trying to play the heel. Those matches were practically prowrestling spectacle and Kimura was helping to sell a huge venue.

what a load of bullshit. Kimura was only a few years younger than Helio. by many estimates, the weight difference was between 20 and 30 lbs, nothing like Kimura outweighing "sickly old" Helio by at least 70 pounds.
Gracies were a bunch of thugs. nothing more. thugs that developed a martial art to help in their thuggish ways.

Gracie family are a bunch of thugs and always has been. They’re also full of excuses and high on their own supply.
Maybe so,but it still took alot of balls to do what they did.

Probably trying to play the heel. Those matches were practically prowrestling spectacle and Kimura was helping to sell a huge venue.

That'd be a logical explanation for why he could have done it, but I couldn't find any evidence of him actually said anything along that line from googling. So far, just his grandson's words.

I dunno. The Gracies themselves absolutley hated pro wrestling and any of that kind of stuff.

I heard Helio was so thin he had to drink coca cola just to cast a shadow. He also died twice in the week leading up to the match.

In all seriousness, if you weigh two parts of fuck all, it is your fault really. If you then decide to enter the fight game, that is also your fault. Life is the open weight division.

Challenging people to fight and losing then making excuses (especially about weight) afterwards is dishonourable and trying to undermine the victory of your opponent.

Having said that I have nothing against the Gracies and they were just selling their brand. The old Gracie Jiu Jitsu in action tapes have similar claims about other family members I think, but only the victories make it to the tapes.

Last edited:
Severn is not even same world as karelin, hes no one in wrestling

Karelin is most dominant of all time really
That s true but mma is different. Karelin did some weird pancrase match and didn t look great. I could see Karelin tossing around Royce like a bag of shit for 10 minutes then gassing and getting rnc ed.

That s true but mma is different. Karelin did some weird pancrase match and didn t look great. I could see Karelin tossing around Royce like a bag of shit for 10 minutes then gassing and getting rnc ed.

I see karelin suplexing royce head first into floor like randleman did to fedor except multiple times with 10x force

Buut we will never know for sure

Reactions: HHJ
Its the kind of BS people actually believed in the forum in the early 2000s.

We all know that was a easy and dominant win for Kimura, he even beat him twice as by Helio's own account he passed with his eyes open at some point in the match,

The UFC fueled BJJ hype machine was in such force in the 2000s half the morons in the Heavies and even some in the F12 didn't know Judo had subs.

Hell on dude that just joined my judo club said ,and I quote "I didn't know they had Kimuras in Judo...did you crosstrain before"

I see karelin suplexing royce head first into floor like randleman did to fedor except multiple times with 10x force

Buut we will never know for sure

How did that work out for Randleman?

One thing in common is that Randleman and Karelin were both juiced to the moon.

what a load of bullshit. Kimura was only a few years younger than Helio. by many estimates, the weight difference was between 20 and 30 lbs, nothing like Kimura outweighing "sickly old" Helio by at least 70 pounds.
Gracies were a bunch of thugs. nothing more. thugs that developed a martial art to help in their thuggish ways.

If you look at other pictures of the fight, the massive size difference is clear.

Here is another picture of Helio vs Kimura
81CC42E2-DA7F-4E55-86B6-12F75D4110C6.jpeg

The karelin mma fight is a work.

Severn wasnt really an aggressive guy and morally had a hard time punching people on the ground. Karelin i dont think would have this problem

Last edited:
The karelin mma fight is a work.

Severe wasnt really an aggressive guy and morally had a hard time punching people on the ground. Karelin i dont think would have this problem

Karelin had no interest in mma, he liked reading, music and ballet in free time lol

Hence why discussion is kinda dumb but it looks like i wanted to mention him back in 2021

Dam 2 years necro

Reactions: HHJ
Back