Koko and Michael the Gorilla

ShinkanPo

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
koko_thoughtful_IMG_5723.jpg

I think many of you who have watch National Geographics or the Discov Chanel have heard of the Gorolla named Koko who apparently can communicate to humans using sign language that was taught to her by her human handler and trainer Francine Patterson.

I know Gorillas do really use sign language in the wild and this has been coroborated by many animal experts, but is Koko's skill really that advance as Dr.Patterson states like did Michael really told her the story how her mother where tortured by poachers?

Or is this one big Monkey business and just a big hoax so that people would take notice and maybe donate?

I might believe that a Gorilla might be able to communicate to Dr.Paterson the story how her mother got killed by Poachers but they are also saying the Koko the Gorilla did mourn the death of Robbin Williams.

What how many days did Robin Williams spend inside Koko's cage?

Could it be we are being fooled here and the Scientists are just laughing at us that we actually believe that a fucking Gorilla can communicate via sign language to a human and mourned the Death of Robin Williams?

Last edited:
i'm sensing a weird disdain for gorillas in your tone
abd-84.gif

I know Gorillas do really use sign language in the wild and this has been coroborated by many animal experts, but is Koko's skill really that advance as Dr.Patterson states like did Koko really told her the story how her mother where tortured by poachers?

Koko was born in captivity at the San Francisco Zoo. Never spent a single second of her life in the wild. How the fuck would she know what a poacher was and how would they torture her at an American zoo?

Koko was born in captivity at the San Francisco Zoo. Never spent a single second of her life in the wild. How the fuck would she know what a poacher was and how would they torture her at an American zoo?

Projection of human feelings onto an animal?

RIP Cecil my lion hero brother, hope you are dismembering prey in animal heaven and your harem of lionesses is grand.

May you commit fratricide forever on all of your rivals' cubs. *sheds a single tear*

How long before Koko is in a twitter war with Trump?

My bad it was another Gorilla named Michael who told that story!

I editted the OP and the tittle,

We watched a read all about Koko...we do believe...however the Robin Williams mourning thing struck us as odd, unbelievable..I don't think this exaggeration diminishes the work that was done with Koko, I do think it simply highlights the way people like to exaggerate claims..

I have no problem believing a gorilla can communicate via sign language. I'm just not sure the understanding of the words being used is the same as if a human was signing them.

Like when that gorilla was told the cat it had befriended was dead and it seemed to communicate sadness. Is that emotion analogous to the one a human understands? Or are we projecting our emotional contruct of sadness, mortality and loss onto a mind that doesn't grasp it the same way we do?

TLDR- stop anthropomorphizing animals

I love fucking gorillas... pause ... I fucking love gorillas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back