Media Kron Gracie speaks out after pitiful performance at UFC 288

Agreed on the first part, but no Gracie from Kron's side of the family has ever been able to throw a punch.

His own father, Rickson, was a comical adherent to "the Frankenstein" stance.
I'm gonna get badly burned for this heresy, even better replying to some low class yellow carded 2022 account...
<DisgustingHHH><{1-17}>
but here we go.

Ricksons opponents combined record is 74-64. If you remove 5'6 155lb Yuki Nakai, were looking at an abysmal 31-51. He dodged everyone relevant in PRIDE to fight a pro wrestler and let Sakuraba mortal kombat tower his entire family in front of Helio. I'm sure he trounced dudes during in gym BJJ sparring, but as a mma fighter he does not deserve all the praise he gets. It's not from performance, it's from mythic levels of hype. Also Kron said his dad didn't even train him. What in the world...

Rickson may have failed in the late 90s if he actually fought the best fighters at the time as mentioned in my earlier comment. I at least give Royce props for fighting rhe likes of Sakuraba and Hughes. And Kimo, Severn and a rematch with Ken Shamrock before he realized his winning UFC reign was about to end. Renzo fought (and lost to) some better guys as well.
I share your view

Reactions: mkt
I'm gonna get badly burned for this heresy, even better replying to some low class yellow carded 2022 account...
<DisgustingHHH><{1-17}>
but here we go.

Ricksons opponents combined record is 74-64. If you remove 5'6 155lb Yuki Nakai, were looking at an abysmal 31-51. He dodged everyone relevant in PRIDE to fight a pro wrestler and let Sakuraba mortal kombat tower his entire family in front of Helio. I'm sure he trounced dudes during in gym BJJ sparring, but as a mma fighter he does not deserve all the praise he gets. It's not from performance, it's from mythic levels of hype. Also Kron said his dad didn't even train him. What in the world...
I heard him say that as well, or something to that effect, on an interview. I was really blown away that Rickson had very little to do with Krons' training... makes me wonder if it was mostly Henry Akins and Dave Kama. I mean you're the greatest Gracie that ever lived, jiu jitsu wise, and you won't even train your son.... what the crap!

It's obviously possible to win a match without striking, but going in with that idea is extremely flawed logic.

He should have known this already that BJJ is a great asset, but you can't hinge your whole game on it. You gotta throw hands just to get close enough & set up the TD.

Back