Kukri Knives Anyone?

Chesten_Hesten

Greatness isn't Stoked by Compliments.
@Gold
Reaction score
Anyone ever had one?

Wife's been forcing me to watch: Alone, the reality TV show. I noticed several of the peeps brought these things as one of their 10 survival items.

Most are big heavy cheap clunkers, but good for hacking I guess. I had one in the 80s, (cost $14.95).

Opinions on it's usefulness?

https://battlingblades.com/products...ampaign=Google Shopping&variant=7472354361378

Gurkha_1_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Only big knife I own lately is this, which maybe the same difference:
222629104466_1.jpg

Anyone ever had one?

Wife's been forcing me to watch: Alone, the reality TV show. I noticed several of the peeps brought these things as one of their 10 survival items.

Most are big heavy cheap clunkers, but good for hacking I guess. I had one in the 80s, (cost $14.95).

https://battlingblades.com/products/gurkha-kukri-knife-handmade-high-carbon-damascus-steel-machete-knife-sword-14?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&variant=7472354361378

222629104466_1.jpg

Opinions on usefulness is that it's an excellent chopper. If you will do a lot of chopping/slashing it's a great design to choose. It keeps your wrist more neutral while chopping vs rolling it forward and you will have less fatigue when using it.

Now there is no standard. Weight, length, angle, thickness, height vary wildly. Some are more bushcraft oriented, others set up as a combat knife, chopper, etc. If you buy a long heavy one it will not be great for anything other than chopping. So it mostly depends on the environment and task. I think a lighter medium length would be a great camp knife if you don't want to bring a hatchet.

I think they are a cool design. You can buy legit ones from Nepal made of 5160 spring steel for a decent price.

It's on my list of things to try forging .

I always got the impression they were an Asian version of what the Bowie or Seax are used for

Anyone ever had one?

https://battlingblades.com/products/gurkha-kukri-knife-handmade-high-carbon-damascus-steel-machete-knife-sword-14?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&variant=7472354361378

222629104466_1.jpg
I got my dad a cold steel kukri machete, for chopping duties is great, the forward balance of the blade makes it super easy to chop with

Excellent brush and camp knife.

I got my dad a cold steel kukri machete, for chopping duties is great, the forward balance of the blade makes it super easy to chop with
Yeah I have one of them. Useful for chopping back bushes and self-defence if needed. I'd love to get an antique proper version though.

I thought buying a kurki knife . I think it be great knife to have for camping or survival. The Gurkhas love them . But I purchased the martindale paratrooper knife instead waiting on now .

Anyone ever had one?

222629104466_1.jpg
I have a Cold Steel Kukri Machete. I live surrounded by woods and have used it to clear my fence and trails. I like the belly.

What are you looking to get it for? Self defense, bushcraft? Can always get a Ka-Bar for good big self defense knife or Cold Steel makes a lot of badass stuff. My favorite fixed blade is a CS Tanto.. Sumbitch is a beast and I’ve cutdown trees with it. Also full tang and thick, made of D2 tool steel, will last forever.. also gives you a Samurai feel to carry. I have 2 Ka-bars as well and they’re not the best bushcraft knife.. but they’re reliable, big,, and intimidating.
6245CE77-DA7D-46A2-A3BF-F5D430100038.jpeg

31vebU6w89L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I have this one from Cold Steel, it's a little thin for my liking, but sits in my truck just for emergency purposes. I got a Golok and my Falknivens for actual survival if it came down to it.

I have a Cold Steel Kukri Machete. I live surrounded by woods and have used it to clear my fence and trails. I like the belly.

What are you looking to get it for? Self defense, bushcraft? Can always get a Ka-Bar for good big self defense knife or Cold Steel makes a lot of badass stuff. My favorite fixed blade is a CS Tanto.. Sumbitch is a beast and I’ve cutdown trees with it. Also full tang and thick, made of D2 tool steel, will last forever.. also gives you a Samurai feel to carry. I have 2 Ka-bars as well and they’re not the best bushcraft knife.. but they’re reliable, big,, and intimidating.
View attachment 757278

To waste money on honestly. No other reason really.

To waste money on honestly. No other reason really.
I’m definitely good at that. I binge watched some forge shows awhile back and it rekindled my love for weapons. Been blowing my money on Swords, Tomahawks, Knives, and other random weapons the past several months. Definitely check out Cold Steel. They make everything. Spears, Knives, Swords, Axes, Tomahawks, Machetes, Blow Dart Guns.. They make a 1lb sharp double sided spike called a Torpedo. Devastating throwable object.. lotta fun haha
4EBFB7D5-5BAB-4D73-9AD5-20840949C11D.jpeg

I’m definitely good at that. I binge watched some forge shows awhile back and it rekindled my love for weapons. Been blowing my money on Swords, Tomahawks, Knives, and other random weapons the past several months. Definitely check out Cold Steel. They make everything. Spears, Knives, Swords, Axes, Tomahawks, Machetes, Blow Dart Guns.. They make a 1lb sharp double sided spike called a Torpedo. Devastating throwable object.. lotta fun haha
View attachment 757559

I saw all those. Cold steel is kinda expensive though.

I'm also thinking of buying a couple handguns, a motorcycle and a tractor!

I need my crude oil etf to start making loot, or else my inverse market fund yo.

Kukris are great. It doesn’t chop wood quite as well as a good hatchet, but it does fill the role of machete and hatchet well enough for most applications. It makes a good draw knife as well. My wife ordered one for me from Khurkuri House that was blessed by a dharma guru. Makes a nice little novelty gift. I wouldn’t want to dirty up that one, even though it’s definitely built for hard use.

My uncle has an authentic WW2 Gurkhas one given to my grandfather by a Gurkha officer after fighting along side them in Burma during the war.

My uncle has an authentic WW2 Gurkhas one given to my grandfather by a Gurkha officer after fighting along side them in Burma during the war.
Ah nice. I've love to get my hands on a proper antique one. Cool story behind it to!

Found an old rusty one at my mothers house and had a local knife guy sharpen it and shine it all up. An antler handle later and it replaced my machete for camping and trimming limbs around the house. Also have a cheap one but it’s thin and soft metal.

Back